A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
130 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Biker Jacket from Grandma's Jacket  (Read 3208 times)
Tags for this thread: jacket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
CarlieJoe
« on: April 03, 2016 03:20:32 AM »

Last fall, I cut up a jacket my grandmother didn't wear anymore. I liked the color. It came out a little too short and I can't really move well, because the fabric has no stretch. And I should never make a pattern without adjusting for my length anymore! Hm. Still like it, but wouldn't make it again, weird fit.

Unfortunately, I deleted the picture of the original jacket. It was one of those boxy shapeless things. I cut the pattern pieces and didn't keep any of the original things. Come to think of it, it was so little fabric, it wouldn't have been possible to make it any longer as it is. Oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016 07:01:26 AM »

You can't tell from the pics that it does not fit you...it looks like it fits quite well, actually!  You are tall and slim, so the jacket looks cute cropped at your waist like that, I think.

The sleeves are fabulous!  Great length, too!

I also think the color is flattering on you (at least from what I can see!) Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
kimmibram
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016 04:32:41 AM »

The fit of the jacket looks good enough and so does its length. And yes, the color definitely rocks. I dont see any reasons to find this piece weirdgood enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarachk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016 05:13:40 PM »

Well, I think you might be knocking this jacket too much. I love it. I do get what you mean about the shortness. I like my tops on the longer side too. However, I think this looks so nice on you. I love the shade of blue as well... IMHO, it suits you. Both the color and the jacket. I think the style is neat and I can appreciate your restyle. I like it so much I pinned it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
CarlieJoe
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016 01:22:37 AM »

Thank you for the thumbs up! I really like it a bit better after your kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PattyPrit
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017 12:21:53 PM »

If you want to add more room to the jacket, add some under the arms in the side seams. It would be difficult to exactly match the color and texture of the original fabric, so go in the opposite direction. If you are going to typically wear navy pants with it, you could add a navy knit panel that starts as a point under the upper arm, extending into the sleeve a bit if need be. This of a shape like a pointed top obelisk, where a rather narrow triangle point is in the upper sleeve seam for about 2-3 inches, then getting wider as needed down the side. This could be made to look as part of the original jacket. It could come across as a "racing stripe" more or less, and only need be as wide as needed to give you just enough room to raise your arms and be comfy. I would  not detract from the great look, and if knit fabric of a medium weight with some stretch is used, you could have more room with a minimum of added fabric.

I must say what you already have fits perfectly to my eyes and you did a great job, but I know how it feels to wear something you love and have slaved over but is just a hair too tight. Still, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...