A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to use to make perler designs more sturdy?  (Read 1318 times)
Tags for this thread: perler_bead , backing , help  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Dkzelda
« on: February 27, 2016 08:14:36 AM »

I've been making some perler bead designs for an event, mostly just to lay around on tables. However, some are larger, and I feel like they aren't sturdy enough to keep them supported as is without them snapping.

Essentially I'm looking for something to attach to the back of the designs that will prevent them from bending and snapping.

Is there anything I could use, that would attach easily to the beads, that's easy enough to cut to match the shape of the design? I was thinking a clear plastic but I don't know how easy it would be to cut that...

Or would it just be easier to use a non clear backing of sorts?

Thank you all in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grufflepuff
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016 12:09:58 PM »

I don't know if most people do this, but I melt both sides of my perler designs. Once I've melted it on the pegboard, I take it off and lay it flat on the ground/table and melt the back of it too. I've never had any issues with any of them breaking.

Or you could glue them onto felt? It's fairly easy to cut through most of the time, and it's inexpensive. I wonder if self-adhesive craft vinyl (like for a die-cut machine) would work at all. It might not be supportive enough, but at least if the designs crack, the sticky vinyl will hold the snapped pieces together until you can et them home and melt them back together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for poly-clay earrings: one bacon, one fried egg. Also, a mishmash of red/orange/gold bracelets--beaded, braided, bangles, whatever! If you have the supplies, let's talk! (Please?) I'll swap all kinds of things in return!

http://www.pinterest.com/kaeorin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...