A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
227 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Abstract Collage  (Read 1732 times)
Tags for this thread: collage , magazine , color , colour , geometric  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Junk4Joy
« on: February 23, 2016 02:08:15 PM »

Torn as to whether this should actually be posted on the paper crafts board rather than here. What makes something art as opposed to craft and does it really matter? Anyway, here is my little abstract collage that I have decided to call 'Cut and Paste', hope you like it.

ETA: Regardless of your opinion of my work, I would love it if you would share your thoughts relating to art vs craft.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016 04:04:11 PM by Junk4Joy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016 04:03:13 PM »

I LOVE IT! The very first thing it made me thing of was a Parcheesi board. It seems familiar and yet wild and crazy!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Junk4Joy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016 04:19:13 PM »

Why, thank you Wulf! I had to google Parcheesi as I had no idea what a Parcheesi board actually looks like. I definitely see your point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
newtread
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016 08:33:09 PM »

I like it. It reminds me of the inside of a computer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website.
My etsy shop.
PM me if you want to swap.
HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016 07:03:44 AM »

This is wonderful! All the colors and shapes give it a very retro feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
Junk4Joy
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016 01:36:17 PM »

Thanks newtread and HSG, I'm so glad you like it and I love how you've all seen something different in it. Personally, it reminds me a bit of an 80s arcade game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016 02:04:46 PM by Junk4Joy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffypants
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016 06:35:56 AM »

I love this! So colourful, so fun. I could see it hanging in a tiki bar or something like that! It totally has that retro vibe going for it.

This would be a great way to use up scrapbooking scraps too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016 01:00:41 PM »

What a happy piece-I really like all the shapes, directions and colour combos you've played with-good eye for creating a harmonious and vibrant collage!

I think art and craft overlap so much more than people think and generally go with "if I say its art, then its my ART" Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016 12:29:58 PM »

Very bright and colorful, I like it. Smiley

As to art vs craft, personally if I'm going to label one or the other I think I'd tend to go with art is meant for seeing, while crafts are for using, like wearing or putting things in or playing with etc. Plenty of art is certainly crafted, and plenty of crafts are art as well, so there's definitely no clear-cut lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Junk4Joy
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016 03:16:29 PM »

Thank you for the comments, guys, and thank you to alteredmommy and Monkey for your thoughts relating to art vs craft.

Like alteredmommy, I also think that the art/craft line is blurrier than most realise. Personally, I tend to think that art is supposed to convey some sort of message, and that the intended message should be known before the work is even begun. If that's the case, however, I think most work commonly accepted as being art is actually craft. It's not too difficult to contrive a deep message about a creation once it's finished and who, but for the creator, would ever have to know.

I hesitate to call anything I make 'art' because the finished product is usually a complete surprise to me, nor am I trying to communicate anything. I make stuff, or try to, that I find visually appealing, and that's it. I'm also not sure why I give a *%#$, but I do seem to care more than I like to admit to myself. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...