A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
221 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gaucho Pants  (Read 16469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
mayerlove
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005 05:09:09 PM »

yeah me too! i found this pattern:

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=searchResults.cfm

they are pants but you should be able to shorten them and widen them at the bottom. make sure that when you cut them out, you cut wider than the pattern shows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
sfear
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005 09:30:51 PM »

I've been looking for a decent pattern for gauchos for several hours today (both at stores and on-line) and haven't found anything that wouldn't need substantial modifications--something I'm not terribly comfortable with at this point in my sewing history! I've also searched culottes and those seem to be generally more tailored than I want. Are there any more pattern suggestions? I don't think the Simplicity 6480 junior sizes will work too well for my more ample body. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005 09:42:02 PM by sfear » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005 07:45:58 PM »

from a skirt it should be easy.
voila a tutorial:

hope that helps. essentially just cut a V down the center and sew up the sides together (right sides together of course.)
if you have any questions just reply to this or PM me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadedpink
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005 08:58:48 PM »

I, too, love these pants. That tutorial looks pretty simple. Wonder how well it works... lol... i'm not the best at stuff like that. Always turns out differently than what i see in my mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005 09:15:16 PM »

from a skirt it should be easy.
voila a tutorial:

if you have any questions just reply to this or PM me.

Ok, have you tried this?  Because, it looks too easy to be true.  But, if it is, i shall never own a true skirt again.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
selainek
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005 06:38:48 AM »

I have never tried to make pants from an existing skirt but I don't think cutting a triangle out of the center would work.  The gauchos I've seen online (and on people in real life) are fitted at the top like pants -- somewhat flat across the hips and abdomen and curved around the rear end -- then just the leg portion is wide and skirt-like. 

If you laid a skirt flat and cut out a triangle then the front and the back are going to be the same shape.  I think to get "the look" they need to be a little more fitted and pants-looking at the top. 

Like I said, I've never tried so if someone has please prove me wrong!  I've also been wanting to make gauchos and would love to come up with a way to pull it of...still thinking...

-Susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005 08:45:41 AM »

eh, my drawing thing doesnt' look very good haha. it's just how i assume it would work, but i'm not really sure. why don't you start from scratch? (using a pattern)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005 10:09:48 AM »

I have some old gaucho-type pants.  They fitted like a skirt, so........and I love the fact that everyone thinks that they are a skirt, and I can still move around without worrying.  Therefore, I think the triangle cutting would ideally work, since that is the fit I want anyways.  I don't want them to be fitted, per sey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005 10:25:58 AM »

I have some old gaucho-type pants.  They fitted like a skirt, so........and I love the fact that everyone thinks that they are a skirt, and I can still move around without worrying.  Therefore, I think the triangle cutting would ideally work, since that is the fit I want anyways.  I don't want them to be fitted, per sey.

if figured the triangle would work because all the gauchos i see are really wide and look like a skirt anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
garyn
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005 07:37:36 PM »

cutting it out of a skirt won't work. your best bet is to make a pattern from a well fitting pair of pants. (there has to be a curve in the crotch area)

it should look something like this....

otherwise, the fabric around your thighs would pull inward and look ackward, and fit funny. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...