A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
286 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gaucho Pants  (Read 16464 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ravenhaired

and i think to myself, what a wonderful world

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2005 09:59:11 AM »

i love the new gaucho pants that are in style right now.  i want to make a pair from a big, full bodied skirt.  anyone have any tips?

here's a pair i found online:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8467&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=8467
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Perspective pries your once weighty eyes and it gives you wings

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/ravenhaired
Jenna_Kenji
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005 04:25:06 PM »

I bought a pair the day before i left for vacation =D!  i love them..umm...I dont know about tips....I guess try not to make them TOO wide...cuz then they will just look...weird XD but those were nice =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Talk to me, dance with me....
mayerlove
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005 08:36:38 AM »

just sew some legs in! if the skirt already fits you, the waist should be fine. you might want to cut it in half, then sew the crotch and the legs in. have you made pants/shorts before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
ravenhaired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005 09:42:46 AM »

just sew some legs in! if the skirt already fits you, the waist should be fine. you might want to cut it in half, then sew the crotch and the legs in. have you made pants/shorts before?

nope, i've never made pants or really any type of clothing before.  that's why i thought i would take what i hope is the easy way out and use a skirt...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADHDCraftster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005 11:29:42 AM »

I too love those gaucho pants and I liked the style from urbanoutfitters.  I have not made any clothing (successfully) yet either.  Just handbags and totes.  One time I made this beautiful going out shirt but I formed fitted it and my chest couldnt fit through the waist part of the shirt and I didnt put a zipper in it because I am scared of sewing those still.

ANYWHOOO; Does anyone have a crash tutorial or tips on how to make these for beginners?  I guess the biggest thing I could see being a problem is making an elastic waste band for the pants.  Does anyone know how to do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable...
LRS
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005 12:26:42 PM »

I urge you to look for a commercial pattern.  It's not going to be simple to have the fullness fall the way you want to - like a skirt - when you're also trying to form legs in it.  I haven't searched, but I think you'll find the right style in some of the evening wear or "loungewear" categories of the pattern books.  They'll probably be floor length, but that's easy to change.  Just keep your mind open if you see something made up in a Hawaiian print or in organza - it's the shape you're interested in. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Electricdrama13
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005 05:36:11 AM »

GOOD LUCK they're really cute.. But what I can't believe is that This place in St.Marks (in Nyc) had those like last august... For like 5-10 bucks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005 07:33:44 AM »

yup! since you haven't made pants before, i say look for a pattern. you could use the material from the skirt if that's what you want. good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
claypeanut
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005 07:44:22 AM »

I made a pair of them.....i can post a pic later, I was lucky enough to find a pattern from the 70's at a garage sale. The top on the pattern was different.....so i made the top have the fold over. I didn't think it was too hard, but i had a pattern. I think it would be difficult to make them from a skirt, but its worth a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenhaired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005 11:01:29 AM »

claypeanut--

i'd love to see what you came up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...