A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
319 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gaucho Pants  (Read 16458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ravenhaired

and i think to myself, what a wonderful world

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2005 09:59:11 AM »

i love the new gaucho pants that are in style right now.  i want to make a pair from a big, full bodied skirt.  anyone have any tips?

here's a pair i found online:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8467&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=8467
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Perspective pries your once weighty eyes and it gives you wings

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/ravenhaired
Jenna_Kenji
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005 04:25:06 PM »

I bought a pair the day before i left for vacation =D!  i love them..umm...I dont know about tips....I guess try not to make them TOO wide...cuz then they will just look...weird XD but those were nice =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Talk to me, dance with me....
mayerlove
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005 08:36:38 AM »

just sew some legs in! if the skirt already fits you, the waist should be fine. you might want to cut it in half, then sew the crotch and the legs in. have you made pants/shorts before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
ravenhaired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005 09:42:46 AM »

just sew some legs in! if the skirt already fits you, the waist should be fine. you might want to cut it in half, then sew the crotch and the legs in. have you made pants/shorts before?

nope, i've never made pants or really any type of clothing before.  that's why i thought i would take what i hope is the easy way out and use a skirt...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADHDCraftster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005 11:29:42 AM »

I too love those gaucho pants and I liked the style from urbanoutfitters.  I have not made any clothing (successfully) yet either.  Just handbags and totes.  One time I made this beautiful going out shirt but I formed fitted it and my chest couldnt fit through the waist part of the shirt and I didnt put a zipper in it because I am scared of sewing those still.

ANYWHOOO; Does anyone have a crash tutorial or tips on how to make these for beginners?  I guess the biggest thing I could see being a problem is making an elastic waste band for the pants.  Does anyone know how to do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable...
LRS
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005 12:26:42 PM »

I urge you to look for a commercial pattern.  It's not going to be simple to have the fullness fall the way you want to - like a skirt - when you're also trying to form legs in it.  I haven't searched, but I think you'll find the right style in some of the evening wear or "loungewear" categories of the pattern books.  They'll probably be floor length, but that's easy to change.  Just keep your mind open if you see something made up in a Hawaiian print or in organza - it's the shape you're interested in. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Electricdrama13
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005 05:36:11 AM »

GOOD LUCK they're really cute.. But what I can't believe is that This place in St.Marks (in Nyc) had those like last august... For like 5-10 bucks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005 07:33:44 AM »

yup! since you haven't made pants before, i say look for a pattern. you could use the material from the skirt if that's what you want. good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
claypeanut
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005 07:44:22 AM »

I made a pair of them.....i can post a pic later, I was lucky enough to find a pattern from the 70's at a garage sale. The top on the pattern was different.....so i made the top have the fold over. I didn't think it was too hard, but i had a pattern. I think it would be difficult to make them from a skirt, but its worth a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenhaired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005 11:01:29 AM »

claypeanut--

i'd love to see what you came up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005 05:09:09 PM »

yeah me too! i found this pattern:

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=searchResults.cfm

they are pants but you should be able to shorten them and widen them at the bottom. make sure that when you cut them out, you cut wider than the pattern shows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sfear
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005 09:30:51 PM »

I've been looking for a decent pattern for gauchos for several hours today (both at stores and on-line) and haven't found anything that wouldn't need substantial modifications--something I'm not terribly comfortable with at this point in my sewing history! I've also searched culottes and those seem to be generally more tailored than I want. Are there any more pattern suggestions? I don't think the Simplicity 6480 junior sizes will work too well for my more ample body. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005 09:42:02 PM by sfear » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005 07:45:58 PM »

from a skirt it should be easy.
voila a tutorial:

hope that helps. essentially just cut a V down the center and sew up the sides together (right sides together of course.)
if you have any questions just reply to this or PM me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadedpink
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005 08:58:48 PM »

I, too, love these pants. That tutorial looks pretty simple. Wonder how well it works... lol... i'm not the best at stuff like that. Always turns out differently than what i see in my mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005 09:15:16 PM »

from a skirt it should be easy.
voila a tutorial:

if you have any questions just reply to this or PM me.

Ok, have you tried this?  Because, it looks too easy to be true.  But, if it is, i shall never own a true skirt again.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
selainek
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005 06:38:48 AM »

I have never tried to make pants from an existing skirt but I don't think cutting a triangle out of the center would work.  The gauchos I've seen online (and on people in real life) are fitted at the top like pants -- somewhat flat across the hips and abdomen and curved around the rear end -- then just the leg portion is wide and skirt-like. 

If you laid a skirt flat and cut out a triangle then the front and the back are going to be the same shape.  I think to get "the look" they need to be a little more fitted and pants-looking at the top. 

Like I said, I've never tried so if someone has please prove me wrong!  I've also been wanting to make gauchos and would love to come up with a way to pull it of...still thinking...

-Susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005 08:45:41 AM »

eh, my drawing thing doesnt' look very good haha. it's just how i assume it would work, but i'm not really sure. why don't you start from scratch? (using a pattern)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005 10:09:48 AM »

I have some old gaucho-type pants.  They fitted like a skirt, so........and I love the fact that everyone thinks that they are a skirt, and I can still move around without worrying.  Therefore, I think the triangle cutting would ideally work, since that is the fit I want anyways.  I don't want them to be fitted, per sey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005 10:25:58 AM »

I have some old gaucho-type pants.  They fitted like a skirt, so........and I love the fact that everyone thinks that they are a skirt, and I can still move around without worrying.  Therefore, I think the triangle cutting would ideally work, since that is the fit I want anyways.  I don't want them to be fitted, per sey.

if figured the triangle would work because all the gauchos i see are really wide and look like a skirt anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
garyn
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005 07:37:36 PM »

cutting it out of a skirt won't work. your best bet is to make a pattern from a well fitting pair of pants. (there has to be a curve in the crotch area)

it should look something like this....

otherwise, the fabric around your thighs would pull inward and look ackward, and fit funny. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolores
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005 08:07:47 AM »

Checked this out in a book called Patternmaking For Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Arnold (try your library? or amazon, or ebay) and she has clear instructions for this...it's basically a flared A-line skirt, with the crotch part of a pair of pants added to the center front & back seams. I appear to have used all my photo space on craftster, so pm me if you want me to mail you a scan of the page in the book, then you can post it and everyone gets to make some groovy gaucho pants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005 09:33:47 AM »

cutting it out of a skirt won't work. your best bet is to make a pattern from a well fitting pair of pants. (there has to be a curve in the crotch area)

it should look something like this....

otherwise, the fabric around your thighs would pull inward and look ackward, and fit funny. 

that looks like what i was trying to draw hahaha. i'm an idiot. but i understand what your saying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolores
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005 10:58:28 AM »

Well, joy of joys, I appear to have some picture hosting space available so I'll be posting the gaucho scan tonight...don't get too excited tho laydeez, it's a pretty basic diagram!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolores
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005 06:34:33 AM »

use an A-Line skirt pattern, add on the crotch from a pants pattern, add length & flare if you want...and sew that sucka!

HTH
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010 04:24:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: removed copyrighted material » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005 06:55:50 AM »

claypeanut--

i'd love to see what you came up with!
me too....show us!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
lemairia
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005 07:19:50 AM »

Also bear in mind that most of the gauchos now being shown are in a very drapey rayon or microfiber knit, so if your skirt is a different weave, fiber, or weight, it will affect your results.  If it is a knit fabric, you'll want to be careful when you're stitching that you don't stretch the fabric (either use a zig zag or a stretch stitch if you're machine has them available).

Other than that, you should be good to go with the excellent pattern alteration suggestions posted by others.  FYI, I did do the pants from skirts thing back when, and the results were a little bit MC Hammer http://www.gobaeng.de/images/products/1490.jpg

Have fun with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
unique handcrafted items for modern living
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
Kristen81
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2005 02:16:25 PM »

How many meters/yards of fabric would be needed to make these? Just a close guess is fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
ragamufyn

White Chocolate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2005 02:49:14 PM »

I made these

that are here
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46320.msg428838#msg428838

by using a pattern that I got form Jo Ann's.  I looked online but couldn't find it.  I'll try and post the pattern number when I get back from vacation!

I think if you had a skirt and wanted to turn it into Gaucho pants that you could just cut straight up to the crotch area without cutting any fabric out and turn it inside out and sew up one leg and down the other.  Just make sure you leave plenty of room in the crotch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadedpink
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005 06:11:26 PM »

those are so cute! good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005 08:17:24 AM »

I think if you had a skirt and wanted to turn it into Gaucho pants that you could just cut straight up to the crotch area without cutting any fabric out and turn it inside out and sew up one leg and down the other.  Just make sure you leave plenty of room in the crotch!

No - it won't work.  Look at earlier posts in this thread.  You need extra fabric and shaping.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
mayerlove
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2005 09:14:36 PM »

i love those, ragamufyn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005 06:54:06 PM »

There is a pattern out there, and I have used it to great success. The only thing problem area is that there is no waistband.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005 08:54:51 PM »

HAHAAH!

that MC HAMMER link made me laugh so hard.
HAHAHA. ..I'm STILL laughing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005 08:05:10 PM »

Even though a lot of people are saying that turning a skirt into pants won't work right, I still think someone should give it a try. I mean, it might not turn out EXACTLY like gaucho pants, but it still might look pretty cool.

I have an old skirt made in the fabric that I've seen a lot of gaucho pants made from and I'm gonna give it a try. Anyone else up to the challenge? After I do it I'll try to post pictures (I'm housesitting for my parents and they have a scanner - woohoo!) But, I don't promise pictures because I've never done it before. But, I will tell you if it was a success or not... success meaning that I'd actually wear them about and failure meaning that I'd just allow them to hang about in my closet for ages until they were turned into something else.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
CreativeDiva

Flourishing in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005 11:31:22 AM »

How about adjusting palazzo pants pattern? New Look has them. (6182, 6190,6383). You can eliminate the zipper if your fabric is stretchy enough and zigzag a piece of elastic in the waist which you will foldover. When you lay out the pattern, determine how flared and how long you want the gauchos to be.  Gradually increase the width from the outside and inside (from the crotch) of the leg equally. Let me know if this works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and say what you feel,
Because those who mind don't matter,
And those who matter don't mind.
Autumn760
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2005 10:35:52 PM »

i love the new gaucho pants that are in style right now.  i want to make a pair from a big, full bodied skirt.  anyone have any tips?

here's a pair i found online:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8467&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=8467

They are only $9.99, You should buy a few! They have all the colors and sizes. That is a good price for those, probably cheaper to buy them.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2005 08:26:38 AM »

I have actually made gauchos out of a skirt-- though this was before the craze and i made them to go under skirts to stay warm in winter. Because of that, they aren't very finished and i made them out of polar fleece. It is the exact same thing that posted earlier. You cut a triangle out of the middle. And as stated earlier: make sure you leave enough room in the crotch! I made mine a bit too small... it's an uncomfortable situation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2005 09:21:19 AM »

Cloverdragon, I'm ecstatic you shared. I'm so glad to hear that someone had relative success with the skirt-triangle method.

Sheesh. I didn't even know Gaucho pants existed until the craze hit. My bad. But, I'll still be wearing them when the craze dies... if it hasn't already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005 06:15:28 PM »

no problem! I'm glad someone will be able to use the info!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
ashleyw
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2006 08:58:52 PM »

those pants are now only $7  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyb444
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2006 04:56:28 PM »

those pants are now only $7  Grin

You could always buy these or another cheap pair, and rip all the sews out and use them as a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...