A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
239 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap but not horribly unhealthy ideas  (Read 58097 times)
Tags for this thread: dorm_cooking , budget_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
chamaecyparis
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2005 04:15:48 PM »

White bean stew: fast, cheap, and nutritious!
1 can cannelini beans
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 or 2 carrots, chopped

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes (until carrots are soft).  Season to taste with salt, pepper, paprika, amd oregano.

Also, I'd like to put in another vote for ethnic grocery stores.  I love the lebanese grocery store near my house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
douglasa
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2005 04:37:08 PM »

I went through about 6 of the pages and I am surprised I didn't see omellettes.  I know that they are obvious, but at the same time they are not. There are so many variations to an omellete that you can make it to fix any craving (except sweet) and also get tons of nutrients.  Here are some of my favorites to add:

I always have cheese, it isn't the same with out it, but trying different kinds is always fun, I made a five cheese omellete using mozarella, gouda, gorgonzolla, ricotta and parmesan (made five cheese penne pasta the night before and needed to get rid of some of them because i won't use them)  i suggest getting the bags of shredded cheese from the market that is the mexican blend or the pizza blend, that way you don't have to buy lots of different cheeses and it gives you an array to work with..

Tomatos, onions, peppers all work well

I tried sweet peppers in one recently and it was amazing

salsa on top

meat products (i normally stay away from this cause i just really like veggies and there is only so much room)

Another thing I make constantly at school is pasta salad (not the kind with mayo).  It is super easy and cheap.
Make pasta, cut up veggies (tomatos, onions and peppers are the ones i use but change for your taste).  Mix with italian dressing and cover in cheese (mozerella or parmessan are the best i believe).  Instead of italian dressing salsa works equally well.

They are silly ideas, and everyone knows them already but since they are my favorite dorm foods I thought I could share,
Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
---Albert Einstein
CatyX
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2005 11:34:04 PM »

There are so many variations to an omellete that you can make it to fix any craving (except sweet)

Actually, I have a recipe for a chocolate one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2005 08:16:38 AM »

a guy in high school made swedish omelets once, which is your standard omelet with tons of dairy products thrown in.  i think he used milk and cream cheese mostly.  it's fat, fluffy, and amazingly creamy.  top with something sweet like fruit or chocolate and i'd say you've got a dessert omelet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
forestpixie
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2005 09:02:14 AM »

I'm surprised there haven't been more mentions of rice! My college roomies and I LIVED on rice. (If you have time, don't skimp on the rice and use the instant kind. The big bags of sticky rice are cheaper and tastier, even if it takes longer to cook.) We'd saute up some cut up chicken breasts in a pan with a sauce called "Jamaica Mistake"- very similar to a creamy Italian dressing- or we'd use bottled cheapo teryaki sauce.  Serve chicken over rice. Healthy and filling and made us feel like actual grown ups, having to saute stuff and all.

Leftover rice can be stirfried up with some soy sauce, garlic,  bagged frozen veggies, tofu or egg, and you've got fried rice.

A good cheap meal I make now is a pasta bake.

Ingredients:
Pasta
Tomato/marinara sauce
Various veggies
Spices
Mozzerella cheese

Make some pasta (any shape), cook till almost done. In a seperate pan, heat up some tomato sauce, add oregeno, basil, salt and pepper to taste, add veggies/sundried tomatoes/olives, etc. that  you have laying around and heat up in the sauce.

Drain pasta and pour into casserole dish or 9x13 pan of sorts. Dump sauce on top. Cover with cheese. Bake at 400 degrees until the cheese is golden. Don't underestimate the power and taste of the cooked cheese, it is SO worth the extra step!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2005 11:03:25 AM »

ooh, you reminded me of this!  I used to work with a woman who would scramble eggs and at the last minute add leftover rice.  It's unbelievable how good this is.  I've never seen this stuff anywhere else, but in CA you can get this plastic bag of spanish rice in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, and the leftovers from it are great in scrambled eggs also. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
tofuttibreak
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2005 03:48:09 PM »

For lunch today, I tried PlayItGeorge's wasabi vinagrette (pg 3, I think) and it was so delicious!
I put it on a salad and also on some pan fried broad noodles. I did add extra wasabi to the noodles, though.
I saved a ton of these recipes and I can't wait to try them all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarchan
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2005 10:19:05 AM »

Frozen vegetables are pretty cheap, and easy to keep around 'cause you don't have to worry about wasting them.  I also keep loads of whole wheat pasta around (which I've found for really cheap at ::coughcoughWal-Martcoughcough::  The basic recipe for the peanut sauce was something I found on an LJ vegan cooking thread. 

Broccoli and Noodles with Peanut Sauce

whole wheat spaghetti (about enough for one person)
frozen broccoli (same deal)
1/4 cup peanut butter (I use Smucker's Natural, 'cause it's what I like and tastes really peanut-y)
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
splash hot sauce (the kind in the big plastic bottles at Asian restaurants)
1/4 water

Bring a pot of water to a boil, and get your spaghetti going.  You could do the same for the broccoli, but I usually just microwave it.  Stick peanut butter, water, and all the other condiments in a microwave save container and microwave for a minute or more--but check and stir, so it doesn't burn.  It'll be nice an creamy/saucy when it's done.  Toss it with your cooked spaghetti and broccoli, and you have a meal.  If you've got any lying around this is good garnished with some coriander, or sesame seeds, or scallion.  It would also be good if you had some red pepper to stick in with the broccoli, but I usually make this when I am basically out of food. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mosquitoes are not vampires. The moon is not your mother,
even if she is preparing for a total eclipse.
LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2005 10:28:42 AM »

Another thing I make constantly at school is pasta salad (not the kind with mayo).  It is super easy and cheap.
Make pasta, cut up veggies (tomatos, onions and peppers are the ones i use but change for your taste).  Mix with italian dressing and cover in cheese (mozerella or parmessan are the best i believe).  Instead of italian dressing salsa works equally well.

MMM I love you for saying this... i LIVE off of chicken pasta salad (with italian dressing) in college lol my friends make fun of me when i haul it out ever second day hehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andysipod
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2005 02:51:06 PM »

ok...  this sounds really weird I guess but it's good, fast, and pretty cheap.
If you are indulging and want some other alternative, I have it in parentheses.

Bread Pizza
Ingredients:
white bread(or english muffins, if you're feeling extravagant)
catsup(spaghetti sauce.  but don't try this on white bread... It could get messy)
shredded mozzarella or 3-cheese(Buy a hunk of fresh mozzarella and slice it onto the "pizza")
Seasoning; oregano, basil, rosemary, pepper.  Use as needed.

How to make:
LIGHTLY toast bread, just until it's crunchy.  You can use a toaster or, if you can't have a toaster, apparently an iron.

Spread a little catsup/spaghetti sauce onto the bread.

Scatter/Slice cheese onto the pizza.

Season as needed.

Microwave until cheese is melted.

Another alternative:  If you want some meat, make it on a hot dog.

I actually prefer the cheapest alternative, but they are all pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dryer Sheets
August 14, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Patchwork Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...