A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
249 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap but not horribly unhealthy ideas  (Read 58779 times)
Tags for this thread: dorm_cooking , budget_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005 08:30:45 AM »

ahhhhh, georgie!

i got a small one for around $20, and it was an amazing purchase. you can use it for just about anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
rocknrollheroine
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005 09:33:56 AM »

MY FAVORITE SPINACH DIP RECIPE *EVER*

It take about 20 minutes and a box of your favorite chips or cracker and *VOILA* a scrumptious snack!!!

1 package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 8oz container of sour cream
1 package of vegetable soup mix

Mix 'em all together and there you have it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005 03:21:38 PM »

Wasabi Vinagrette:
1 tsp wasabi paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
about 3 tbsp olive oil

You do need to buy the paste and rice vinegar, I think it cost me like 6 bucks total when I bought the stuff for this.  And it makes a TON.  It is hands down my favorite salad dressing.  Very tangy and definetly not from the bottle.  You can also use it on salmon quite well.

And if you are going to crockpot chicken, I've found that if you use partially frozen chicken it works OK.  So I'll take it out of the freezer the night before and move it to the fridge, where it won't thaw all the way by morning (at least with my fridge)

Also look around online for crockpot recipes labeled "Dump" recipes.  These are ones where you combine everything ahead of time and freeze, then when you're ready to eat you defrost overnight (usually) and put in the crockpot in the morning.

All this crockpot chat makes me think...I should use my crockpot sometime next week for dinner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
EatFish
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005 04:51:52 AM »

Hey Cheesy I just finished my first year in the dorms and hit upon these recipes. Hope they help ^_^

Cold Pesto/White Bean Pasta
Sounds like a weird combo, but this is really yummy! Take canned white beans (or even better, white bean dip from the supermarket) and mash it with some pesto, extra olive oil from the pesto, salt to taste and lemon juice. Add your pasta and top with sun dried tomato, shredded chicken or red pepper flakes if you have them handy.

Blue Plate Special Curry
Buy curry cubes from any super market. Satay meat and onions together as well as an whole egg and place in a bowl for later. Make the curry with water and add whatever vegetables you have on hand (radish, potatoes, asparagus, etc.). Add flour or cornstarch to the curry to make less liquidy. Put rice on half of the plate, curry on the other and add the eggs and meat/onions on top of the rice. Tada ^_^!!

Cottage Cheese/Salsa Dip
This is my crazy russian friend's idea. I've never tried it, but he swears that its delicious. Take some cottage cheese and salsa, mix it together and dip with tortilla chips.

Sugar Glazed Strawberries
Use a NON-STICK pan (this is important, or else the pan will be impossible to clean later) and add granulated sugar (white or brown) and cook on medium. When the sugar has melted and becomes liquidy, skewer some washed and dried strawberries and coat them with the sugar in the pan.  Stick the skewers in a piece of foam to dry, or just have a friend hold them for about 10 seconds. You can make this really pretty by using a colored sugar or dipping the top of the strawberry while its drying into a canister of cinnamon.

Bananas Fosters (non-alky version)
Saute bananas in a sauce pan with brown sugar and cream butter and poor over vanilla ice cream

Ghetto Thai coconut rice w/ mango
Cook rice in the microwave (or over the stove) with 1:2 ratio for milk and water (ex: if you usually use three cups of water for your rice, use 1 cup of milk and 2 cups of water instead) with slightly more liquid than usual. Top with mango and honey for extra sweetness.

Enjoy Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005 04:59:22 AM by EatFish » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005 09:12:47 AM »

I can't believe I didn't see Tomato Soup.  Maybe I just overlooked it?  It can often be found for 2 cans for $1, and it can be changed up to make all manner of different meals.

For Italian:
Put the tomato soup in a pot.  I like to add some lemonpepper, oregano, basil, garlic or if you have a jar of "italian seasoning" mix, that works too.  You can even add a little pizza sauce to thicken it up a bit.  Throw in some chopped bell pepper, roasted if you like it that way, some onion, tomato chunks, italian sausage if you want, and I like to add parm. cheese.  Now, if you want to do the super cheap method, go snag some individual packets of parm cheese from a pizza shop.  That garlic sauce from Papa John's would probably good too.  You don't have to add ANY of the veggies or meat if you don't want to and you want to keep it cheap. 

For sides, I like to get day-old dinner rolls, slice in half, butter, add garlic, lemon pepper and basil, put some cheese on top and pop in the oven till stuff gets melty.

For Mexican:
To the soup add part of a packet of taco seasoning, some grated cheese, and/or some salsa or the packets of hot sauce from a mexican drive through.  Here in my home town we have a local mexican fast food chain.  You can order "Chips and salsa bar" for about $1.50.  You get a big bag of chips and free grazing at the salsa bar, that includes hot and mild salsa, nacho cheese, grated cheese, guac., chopchop (chopped onions & tomatos with cilantro and seasonings), ranch dressing, etc.  They provide little pastic cups with lids.  Cheesy  An order of Chips and Salsa bar and a can of tomato soup can make a whole meal for two. 

Italian and Mexican are the easy ones, but of course tomato soup has endless possibilities.  It's great for using up leftover veggies (and even meats) and whatever cheese you have lying around.  You can make a snazzy meal out of it with seasoning packets from fast food places, if you have no extra cash, or you can make it as complicated as you want.  I've even heard of people combining ramen and tomato soup...  You cook the noodles, then drain them, add them to the soup and stir in some or all of the seasoning packet.  I can't claim to have tried it, but several of my friends are really partial to the beef-flavored ramen done this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
CatyX
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005 02:37:17 PM »

Wow, sounds really nice, especially the italian one, but my even cheaper idea with tomato soup- just eat it on its own  Grin

Though I think I will certainly try the Italian!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
YAYitsLiNdSeY
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005 02:33:38 PM »

As said a few posts earlier in this thread, George Foreman grills are a godsend. Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, vegetables... Just about anything you can think of that can be grilled can be Georged.

Anyways, of course the canned meals (ravioli, soup, vegetables) are always a cheap and WAY easy solution for the low-budgeted, but also, at some grocery stores, they've been having 10 for $10 sales (at least down here in Houston they have). They'll have canned fruit, canned tuna and chicken, fruit snacks, drinks, a lot of stuff that can be very handy. One time I was shopping with my mom and they had premade meals (Hamburger Helper, I believe) 10 for $10. Or maybe it was 5 for $10. Still, that's not bad, especially if you're only cooking for one or two, you could get 2 or 3 meals out of 2 or 3 dollars. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of premade stuff, because I'm kinda into eating as healthily as possible so that I can keep healthy for my sports, but I'd rather have preservatives than go hungry... I'm sure everybody else feels that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005 08:13:15 AM »

Whoa!!  You use the marinade as a sauce!!  I highly, highly recommend you boil the marinade for 2-3 minutes instead of cooking it in the oven.   It carries bacteria and ensuring it boils, over medium heat while you monitor it to make sure it doesn't burn, is the only way to really be sure it's killed off.

For more information on the safe handling of chicken, http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/chicken/articles/164P1.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolann
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005 10:39:34 AM »

I have found that a good way to find cheap recipes (for a vegetarian) is to look for cookbooks about how to cook for vegetarian kids.  Typically these kind of cookbooks keep a recipe simple, without a lot of ingredientswhich in turn, makes it cheaper, easier, and generally safe even for picky eaters.  One book I like is called Better Than Peanut butter and Jelly by Wendy Muldawer & Marty Mattare.  You can find it on Amazon for sure.  Heres a recipe from that book that I like:

Black Bean and Tomato sauce

Saut two minced cloves of garlic in a little bit of olive oil for about a minute.  Add 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon ground cumin and cook for an additional minute.  Add one 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes and one 15 ounce can of black beans (drained and rinsed).  After sauce boils, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

The sauce can be served over pasta (the book recommends 12 ounces of whole wheat pasta), but I like to have it over polenta.  Polenta can be a nice alternative to all the rice and pasta that vegetarians eat.

Here is the easiest polenta recipe I know (minimal stirring!!!):

Preheat oven to 350.  Place 1 cup polenta (or I guess even regular cornmeal if thats what youve got), 3 cups lukewarm water, one tablespoon of butter, and a teaspoon of salt in a buttered 8 inch square pan.  Stir it with a fork until blended.  Bake uncovered for 50 minutes.  Run a fork through it and bake 10 more minutes.  Serve with toppings of your choice.

On a completely different recipe topic, I also wanted to mention one of my favorite sandwiches.  Its not the cheapest thing in the world, but its tasty and different.  I spread cream cheese on raisin bread and top it with sliced apples and walnuts.  Yum!

Thanks to everyone else for the other good ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005 12:17:08 PM »

You can use the marinade as a sauce, just gotta boil it first.  It's certainly cheaper than throwing it all out and dumping on more once it's cooked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...