A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handful of simple ATCs: lyrics, quotations, and an owl!  (Read 1189 times)
Tags for this thread: quote  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
grufflepuff
« on: February 03, 2016 05:09:18 PM »

I used to do a lot more crafting and trading on here when I was younger, but then depression and college stole away a lot of my creativity. Slowly but surely I'm starting to get back into the scene as it were. These are a few of my first ATCs in a long while. They're all extremely simple (mostly because I was doing them during my downtime at work, so I didn't have any special collage supplies at hand) but I'm still really pleased with them.

(The Shakespeare quotation was what made me want to make ATCs again. I really liked it and wanted to do something with it other than, you know, re-post it online somewhere. I'm so so proud of the wood grain on the frame.)

(A...sorta-misquoted Hozier lyric--in my defense, the guy is really hard to understand sometimes, and my version still makes sense!--and an extreme close-up of an owl face that kind of looks like a teddy bear face. Oops!)

The following ATCs were made for the ongoing January ATC swap, so, uh...if you're rockingbearranch or DearBluebird, don't look if you don't like spoilers?

An Anna Atkins tribute ATC for rockingbearranch and a geometric design card for DearBlueBird. I'd never tried either of these methods/styles, so that was fun! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016 05:09:42 PM by chasing_cars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for poly-clay earrings: one bacon, one fried egg. Also, a mishmash of red/orange/gold bracelets--beaded, braided, bangles, whatever! If you have the supplies, let's talk! (Please?) I'll swap all kinds of things in return!

http://www.pinterest.com/kaeorin
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016 09:04:04 PM »

Aw, I love that you're back in action!  These are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Contact me personally:
  Personal Crafty Chat Group on Facebook
  Craft Stars Fundraiser
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016 09:54:33 AM »

Glad you are finding your artistic voice again.  Being creative can be of such therapeutic value, and I love the pieces you made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016 08:18:47 AM »

Nice selection of cards and I'm glad to hear that you're getting more comfortable with your creative side again.  I like the Shakespeare quote (I agree that you did a really good job on the wood grain/knots) and the Anna Atkins tribute ones the best out of this particular group.

Is the way you have the geometric card orientated (with its corners set into a larger card) how you mail your ATCs?  If so, that's a clever idea that never occurred to me (I make little pocket dealies, out of old magazine pages, to keep the card from shifting around in the envelope when I send one).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grufflepuff
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016 12:34:11 PM »

Nice selection of cards and I'm glad to hear that you're getting more comfortable with your creative side again.  I like the Shakespeare quote (I agree that you did a really good job on the wood grain/knots) and the Anna Atkins tribute ones the best out of this particular group.

Is the way you have the geometric card orientated (with its corners set into a larger card) how you mail your ATCs?  If so, that's a clever idea that never occurred to me (I make little pocket dealies, out of old magazine pages, to keep the card from shifting around in the envelope when I send one).

Thank you, you're very kind. Smiley

I haven't decided on any one way to send out my cards, but yes, for the geometric card, I did set its corners into a larger card. I thought the patterns looked neat together. Smiley It might have been the fact that this was the first time I'd done something like that, but getting the edges of the ATC and the slits I cut into the larger postcard to line up was kind of frustrating, and I was afraid that I was bending the edges of the ATC. If I do that again (...and I might), I'll have to figure out a better way to cut the slits and get the card situated inside them. The next batch that I'm sending out, I'm just sending out tucked into regular notecards with little messages scrawled inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for poly-clay earrings: one bacon, one fried egg. Also, a mishmash of red/orange/gold bracelets--beaded, braided, bangles, whatever! If you have the supplies, let's talk! (Please?) I'll swap all kinds of things in return!

Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016 02:19:44 PM »

Perhaps just two slits (in opposite corners, diagonally from one another), instead of four, would work better and make the ATC easier to insert/remove while still keeping it in place?  But yeah, I can understand you not wanting to bend the card's corners in the process, I wouldn't want to do that either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blupaisan
I work for Cats.

I am the DandiGirl, koo koo ka choo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016 05:39:58 AM »

when I first saw the owl eye in the swap gallery, I knew it was owl. Nothing teddybearish about it in my view.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
grufflepuff
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016 06:06:57 AM »

That's great to hear, blu: thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016 09:38:34 AM »

When I received the owl ATC (I LOVE IT!) I knew it was an owl too.  Although, come to think of it, I do love teddy bears too!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...