A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,484
Currently Running With Scissors:
217 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2016 QuiltAlong  (Read 42565 times)
Tags for this thread: quiltalong , sewalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2016 06:57:51 AM »

Welcome to the 2016 Quilt Along! Please join in as we work on various quilting projects this year. The point of this Quilt Along is to motivate ourselves and others to work on their projects and provide a space to discuss projects during and after their completion, as well as fill the Quilting Board with beautiful quilts.

To join our Quilt Along, please post a list of the 4-8 quilts you will be working on this year, baby sized or larger. We are going to have quarterly prizes this year for anyone that completes 1 or 2 quilts per quarter and checks in weekly. There will be an additional prize drawing at the end of the year for anyone that completes at least 1 quilt each quarter.

Of course, discussing and sharing in-progress pics of any quilted projects, large or small, quilted mug rugs, wall hangings, and whatever smaller projects you are working on this year are always welcome, they just won't be eligible for the drawing each quarter!

I'll keep track with links in the second post of people's lists so you can find your "master list" quickly and easily.

Why did I change the QuiltAlong rules from previous years?
The last few years the QuiltAlong hasn't been as formal, vocal, or as had as much of a feeling of community as it used to have, and a lot of that is because I've been super busy being an officer in my local quilt guild. This year I am back to being a "civilian quilter" for the first time in 3 years and want to make this a fun environment where we get things done! Also, by reducing our lists and having prizes and quilting deadlines, I'm hoping we'll all be able to make some real progress this year!

How to join the 2016 QuiltAlong:

1.) Make a post introducing yourself (tell us about your quilting likes and dislikes and your quilting journey) along with your list of 4-8 Quilts, baby sized or larger that you are committing to working on this year. They could be started already or quilts you haven't started yet, tops languishing ready to be quilted, or any stage in between.

2.) Check in weekly as much as possible. I'll try to have fun check-ins where I ask a question you can answer, or share what you're working on. If you miss a couple check-ins, you won't be out of the quarterly prize drawing, but if you never participate you won't be eligible.

3.) When you finish a project on your list, make a post for it with picture(s) on the Quilting Board AND share it in this QuiltAlong thread with a picture and link to your post on the Quilting Board.

You can have up to 2 entries per quarter for quilts that are completely finished and are at least baby sized or larger. Each entry will give you a chance in the drawing. The prize could be a pattern or fabric, but since shipping is crazy expensive now, if you are international to me (outside of US) it will probably be a downloadable pattern. It's also possible I can get a sponsor or two for this QuiltAlong Wink At the end of the year there will be an additional prize drawing that includes all people who have finished at least 1 quilt on their list every quarter.

2011 QuiltAlong Thread
2012 QuiltAlong Thread
2013 QuiltAlong Thread
2014 QuiltAlong Thread
2015 QuiltAlong Thread
2016 QuiltAlong Thread

Quilt by amazon_warrior in 2015 QuiltAlong

Prize for Quarter 1
Quarter 1's prize is going to be a pattern from Hunter's Design Studio! Thank you so much Sam Hunter for your donation! Sam is the designer of oodles of fun patterns as well as the author of the popular book Quilt Talk, her wonderful paper pieced alphabet with lots of fun projects to go along with it!

If the winner is in the US they will receive a physical pattern of their choice, for an international winner the prize will be a downloadable pattern of their choice.

You could win one of these cool patterns, or a different pattern from her site!

Photos credit Sam Hunter, Hunter's Design Studio
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017 10:00:08 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016 07:01:21 AM »

Click on a name to hop to that Quilter's To Do List

alwaysinmyroom
amazon_warrior
carolmb
cursive_queen
craftADDchick
Immaculata
jnicodemus
MareMare
meleriffic
sloth003
texscrapper

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016 10:57:25 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?

carolmb

Making things, makes life happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016 08:34:48 AM »

Greetings Everyone,

well I am a nursing student who will start her clinical rotation in the fall so I dont have as much time to quilt as I would like but I do have some projects I am hoping to finish this year.

I have only been quilting a few years but love it. pretty much any style of quilting. traditional patchwork, paper piecing, applique, english piecing I like it all. free motion quilting is how I finish most of my projects.

1. Farmers Wife Quilt in reprints of civil war time frame
2. Dear Jane Quilt in 1030's reprints
3. Rainbow Ribbons
4. Double Wedding Ring in green tone on tone with cream background.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016 10:31:42 AM by carolmb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016 10:11:43 AM »

Ooo, shiny new thread!  *is hugely honored that one of her quilts was chosen for the first post*  :blush:

Hello all!  I'm a chemistry graduate and work as a freelance scientific editor.  Currently I'm based in Darkest Wales, but I have also lived and worked in Japan, Germany and Australia - I love travel!  I've also always loved making things and got bitten hard by the quilting bug a few years ago when I had an idea to make a wedding quilt for my sister (which, uhhh, still is not finished!  Roll Eyes).  I love how there always seems to be something new to learn or try (possibly this is why the wedding quilt isn't done yet!).  Smiley  The delicious fabric is a definite attraction, too!  I enjoy piecing most but am working hard on the quilting aspect, which is definitely the most mysterious bit as far as I'm concerned!  I'm still figuring out my quilting style and will cheerfully try most things once, though I think I'm generally "middle of the road" when it comes to traditional vs. modern.  Mod-itional?

My 2016 projects:
1) Sister's wedding quilt (because it really is getting embarrassing now - all I need to do is baste, quilt and bind the damn thing!)
2) Baby quilt for neighbour's daughter (baby due in Feb) - DONE!
3) Wedding quilt for my cousin (he was married last August - by my standards, I'm in good time!)
4) Baby quilt for the same cousin (baby due in May)

Some other things I'm trying to finish but I don't think they count...?
1) Wall hanging for an online friend - FINISHED!  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=442726.0
2) Advent wall hanging (by next Christmas would be good!)

....and of course there are other things that I haven't mentioned!  But the ones above are urgent and need to be done, already.  Anything else is just gravy.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016 07:12:32 AM by Amazon_warrior » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016 12:04:26 PM »

The new rules and challenges are excellent, MareMare!

I have been sewing since I was about 6 years old. I was always making doll clothes, prom dresses, and curtains and other things for our homes.  I never wanted to get into quilting because I knew I would get sucked in if I started.  I am an accountant, so I love the math of quilting.  Since I mostly quilt for myself, I am not as precise as I should be...I manage to smoosh them together or figure out a way to make odd blocks work.  I recently got into paper piecing and found that I really love it!  I want to get better!  My biggest block is that I like making the tops but hate the quilting part. My solution to this is to only make smaller quilts or else suck up and pay for professional quilting on larger pieces.

Here is my list for 2016:

1. Dr. Who embroidered quilt
2. Scrappy block quilt
3. Red, white and blue quilt
4. Wild Olive Hexie baby quilt

Other quilting projects : Christmas tree skirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016 04:52:33 PM »

Woohoo, I have a sweet prize lined up for Quarter 1!

Prize for Quarter 1
Quarter 1's prize is going to be a pattern from Hunter's Design Studio! Thank you so much Sam Hunter for your donation! Sam is the designer of oodles of fun patterns as well as the author of the popular book Quilt Talk, her wonderful paper pieced alphabet with lots of fun projects to go along with it!

If the winner is in the US they will receive a physical pattern of their choice, for an international winner the prize will be a downloadable pattern of their choice.

You could win one of these cool patterns, or a different pattern from her site!

Photos credit Sam Hunter, Hunter's Design Studio
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolmb

Making things, makes life happy!

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016 05:33:21 PM »

wow amazing designer I looked over her craftys listing some very cute stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016 05:35:13 PM »

sloth here.  Canadian (that's why it looks like i spell funny), festival bartender, bread store minion, wife , mother, potty humoured, quilter.  I started quilting in '07 after a traumatic knee injury left me couch bound for 12 weeks. I was bored and decided to teach my self something. Knitting was out as the aftermath looked like a bad outtake from 50shades. I had a sewing machine and some fabric, the rest. Is history. Now i have WAY more fabric... And sewing machines.

This year i am focusing  on actually getting my hobby set up as a wee business type thing. Working on facebook pages and graphics and maybe even if i get all crazy... Some advertising.

Other goals include. Learning to stipple/free motion. And keeping my sewing room clean. Ok, useable. Keeping my sewing room in a useable state of clean. Ish.

Started projects I'd like to finish

Batik weddings quilt done
Bot shirts x2one done
Scrappy tripdone
'Daily' wonky stars

Started projects I have to finish

Flanagan memory lapdone
Flanagan menory queendone

In my brain projects I'd like to start

Monkey for sara
New york beauty
2 inch scraps

Commissions I know are coming

Widow tshirt
Cheerleader tshirt usa
Crossword fathers day

However, unless the rules state otherwise. This list may be amended and switched and changed at my random whim.

Finishes so far 2016

stacked qbs 8
Fallen rainbow qbs 8
Wedding batik
Flanagan memory lap
Batman for peyton
Bot shirt quilt for bot.
Flanagan memory queen
I want to believe wall
The "COLOURS" redeemer
Mandarin in Garlic scrappy trip
Sasquatch and Nessie
Harry potter bookcase
 Selena purple
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016 07:29:58 PM by sloth003 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
cursive_queen
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016 11:27:23 AM »

Hi, I'm Alexis, I do testing for a psychology department.  I live in the southern US.  I've been quilting for about 9 or so years.

COMPLETED
1.Erin's Tshirt quilt
2. Red and aqua baby quilt for Co-worker
3.Blue/grey/yellow baby quilt for co-worker
4. lemonlime hourglass baby quilt (now Wasabi's)
5. Mr Wiggles baby quilt
6. Hazel the Hedgehog in Navy Mini quilt
7. Fort Firefly (Need picture)
8. Fox baby quilt for Elinor
9. Mini Wyoming wall hanging for B

WIP quilts
Doe Quilt for Styx and Penny
Star Wars Quilt
Glamp Stitchalot Quilt
Nightshade quilt
Halloween quilt
Cotton and steel bullseye
Foxfield Quilt
Catnap quilt

Unicorn Swoon quilt
Downton Abbey Quilt
Priory Square - Binding
Tula Saltwater
Natural history quilt - use plus pattern

Haven't started but want to do
Tiger lily Quilt
Bumble quilt (use mandala pattern, need background

Rainbow scrap quilt
Lizzy scrap quilt
Rebel Quilt for Shelby
Elizabeth quilt (maybe diamonds)
Far Far Away quilt
Scrappy Mermaids
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016 12:52:50 PM by cursive_queen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016 03:21:18 PM »

I am way behind on quilting and this quilt-along might just be the thing to get me back to it. I just moved across country this week, so I'm going to have to get a move on and get all my crafting items unpacked! I have 4 crazy kids who keep me busy (but luckily 3 are in school).

1. HST Baby Quilt for daughter
2. Ohio Stars Quilt for Son
3. Scrappy Log Cabin Quilt for Daughter
4. Queen size quilt for Mom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
May 22, 2019 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Slick Coat Rack
Give Me a Hand

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...