A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,284
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Mock Quilted Flannel Hooded Jacket from Two Coats (tons of pics!)  (Read 4243 times)
Tags for this thread: jacket , thrift_store , reconstructed , hooded_sweatshirt , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

GreatAwk
« on: January 16, 2016 10:02:02 AM »

My dad loves his Field and Stream Quilted Flannel Hooded Jackets.  Theyíre made of a flannel shirt-like material, a fluffy insulating layer, and a quilted lining.  They do button, but Iím not sure Iíve ever seen his buttoned, because up the front is a strip of sweatshirt material with a zipper.  The hood is also made of sweatshirt material.  For several years, heíd buy them at Costco, and the ones he owns are either totally worn out or are well on their way.  He wears them that much.

But (just in time for a store to open in our area) Cotsto doesnít seem to carry them anymore, and the only ones we could find online were closing in on $50, and the sites didnít have them in stock, anyway.

This is what we're talking about

So one day he came to me with a quilted flannel jacket and the remains of one of his worn out Field and Stream coats.  Could I put the two together?

Well, that was so successful it wasnít long before he handed me a denim jacket and a thrift store hooded sweatshirt.  Then a Field and Stream jacket that was a bit classier but was lacking the sweatshirt material, zipper, and hood along with another thrift store hooded sweatshirt.  I think I've got a new job in life!

The finished jacket

But all that aside, I thought, hey, thereís probably a lot of other people out there whoíd like to make their own fake Field and Stream Quilted Flannel Hooded Jacket Clone.  So why not post a tutorial?  (Bear with me here - this is my first Craftster tutorial, so we'll see how this all goes!)

Youíll need:
1 quilted flannel jacket, preferably with a collar and buttons up the front.  Thereís a lot of room for variation; a denim jacket, for example, etc.  The ones Iíve used so far were packed away in the one attic or another, so I donít know where they came from.  A thrift store would be a great place to look if your attic isnít so obliging.

1 hooded sweatshirt.  The only real requirements are 1) itís got to zip all the way down the front (harder to find than you might think), 2) it doesnít have to fit you, 3) it should be about as long as the flannel jacket Ė preferably no longer, though shorter is fine, and 4) it should more or less match the flannel jacket (color and style wise).  I got this one from a thrift store ($6.99 originally) on a 30% off sale.  Wohoo!  I love Savers!

Straight pins Ė the ones with the colorful plastic heads are the easiest to work with, but that doesnít stop me from using the ones Iíve pulled out of dress shirts that bend in two on the first use.
Matching thread and bobbin
Sewing machine (it should at least do straight stitch and zig-zag)
Sharp scissors

Start by finding the center of the neckline just below the collar on the flannel jacket.  If there isnít a center seam, fold the neckline in half, matching the two button edges of the neckline.  The crease is where the middle of the neckline is.  Place a pin at the center of the neckline, or use a washable fabric marker to make a mark, and make certain sure the mark is in the middle Ė this is important.

Find the middle of the neckline on the hooded sweatshirt Ė often, the hood seam marks the middle of the neckline.  If not, follow the directions above; mark with a pin or with a washable fabric marker.  Double check to make sure it really is in the middle.

Lay the flannel jacket, open, on a surface.  Place the hooded sweatshirt, also open, on top of the flannel jacket.  You want both the outsides of the jackets to be down (in other words, pretend youíd be wearing both these jackets Ė am I making any sense, or is it after 11pm???)  Now line up the marks you just made on the necklines.  Basically, you want to pin the center of the hooded sweatshirt neckline to the center of the flannel jacket neckline.  Clear so far?

Turn the jackets over, and continue pinning along the neckline, matching as best you can the seam between the hooded sweatshirt and the hood and the seam along the base of the collar of the flannel jacket. 

In a best case scenario, the two necklines will end at the same time.  But since weíre working with thrift store items here, thatís not as likely as we wish.  If either the jacket or the sweatshirt runs out, no big deal.  Just realize that you may or may not be able to button up the flannel jacket after the seams are sewn.

Turn up the collar of the flannel jacket to keep it out of the way.  Using the sewing machine (all the sewing is sewing machine), stitch along the seam at the base of the collar, through both the flannel jacket and the hooded sweatshirt.  Doing this makes your new stitching almost invisible, and the more invisible, the better.  Sew only between the two button strips; donít go all the way to the end of the flannel jacket.  (Note: if the neckline of the sweatshirt is smaller than the flannel jacket, stitch only as far as the zipper of the hooded sweatshirt Ė donít sew over the zipper).

Examine the seam and make sure everything lined up ok, there arenít any puckers or you caught something you shouldnít have, and generally looks more or less professional.  It may take a few tries to get this seam right.  Believe me, itís the hardest one.

When the collar seam looks right, give a sigh of relief and move on.

Lay the jackets back on your surface, as you did when you began.   Zip up the sweatshirt.  Look at how the flannel jacket naturally lays over the sweatshirt.  Where the collar ends, which jacket continues further?  How much further?

If the hooded sweatshirt extends further (or theyíre the same): This is my dadís favorite option.  Measure how much beyond the edge of the flannel jacket is the zipper of the hooded sweatshirt (it should be even on both sides; if itís not, take out the collar seam (ďOh, no!  Not really!Ē  ďYes, really!Ē) and make it even).  Then unzip the zipper and pin the flannel jacket to the hooded sweatshirt all the way from the neckline to the bottom of the jacket, keeping the hooded sweatshirt zipper the same distance from the edge of the flannel jacket that you measured a moment ago.

If the flannel jacket extends further:  You have a couple options.  First, you could bunch up the jacket slightly and follow the directions above.  Or you can button up the flannel jacket, match the center of the buttons with the center of the zipped zipper all the way down the jacket, pin in place, and worry about any bunching that may happen later.  This is probably the easier option, and almost certainly will look better.

If you planned it right (or are lucky), the hooded sweatshirt bottom will be no longer than your jacket.  Unfortunately, Iíve had one project so far that the hooded sweatshirt was longer than the jacket.  What to do?  Well, if itís not too much longer, you can continue to follow these directions, then have a little unprofessional end of the sweatshirt sticking out.  I didnít want to do that, so I simplyÖ well, Iíll explain it better later, but for now, just pin as far as you can.

Being very careful not to catch any sleeves, buttons, backs of jackets, or anything else you donít want to sew at this moment, stitch along the existing seams along the button strips of the flannel jacket, catching the front of the hooded sweatshirt, as well.

Again, check your work for accidental catching of unwanted material, puckers, etc.

At this point, if your sweatshirt is too long, measure how much sweatshirt extends beyond the jacket.  Pin the bottom of the flannel jacket to the hooded sweatshirt, keeping that measurement of hooded sweatshirt sticking out the bottom consistent (if the flannel jacket has a straight bottom) or however it most naturally hangs out.  Stitch along the preexisting hem line near the bottom of the flannel jacket, catching the hooded sweatshirt, as well.  If your sweatshirt isnít too long, simply skip this step.  Your life will be easier.

Now at this point, I donít own a serger.  So Iím going to make due with a poor manís serger.

Turn the jacket inside out.  Set the sewing machine to the tightest, widest zig-zag you can (if you can set it Ė you want the stitches close together and very wide).  Catching only the sweatshirt fabric (very important!!!) and starting at the bottom of the sweatshirt, zig-zag close to your seam on the non-zipper side of the seam  (look at the pictures). 

Continue stitching around below the collar / hood and back down the other zipper side.  (If your sweatshirt was too long and you stitched along the bottom, youíll need to cut a hole Ė not too close to the edge or a seam Ė so you can get in here.  Youíll also need to stitch all the way around, not just up the zipper, around the collar, and back down the other zipper.)

Now comes the scary part.  Take your sharp scissors and cut out the sweatshirt that isnít needed Ė the part that isnít a part of the zipper and hood.  You want to cut close to the zig-zag, but not so close as to cut the stitches.

Discard the rest of the sweatshirt, or save it for another use.

Turn the flannel jacket right side out.

Ta-da!

Inside

Back

Previous project

Variation on a theme: Denim jacket instead of quilted flannel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016 05:55:19 PM »

What a clever idea!!  Not just warm but comfy and warm!  Bet is saved a lot of money plus, your dad knows you took the time to do it!  I love the variations you can do with this idea!  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016 06:37:08 PM »

What a great thing to make...it's so practical & giftable! I'm always struggling to come up with ideas for my father in law & husband. This is just perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Mannon2
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016 06:28:52 AM »

This is great - and you explained it so well - not sure if I'm brave enough to take on another sewing project right now, but definitely will have to remember this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreatAwk
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016 02:43:23 PM »

Thanks, ladies!  I can't even imagine all the cool variations - post your pics if you decide to make one.  I'd love to see them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PattyPrit
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017 12:07:12 PM »

Brilliant! I know just the man to make one for. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...