A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
252 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tolkien Plugs  (Read 1330 times)
Tags for this thread: earrings , plugs , woodburn , wood , lord_of_the_rings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 11, 2016 06:47:45 PM »

On a whim tonight - listening to the BBC radio adaptation of Lord of the Rings, which is fantastic if you've never heard it! - I decided to try my hand at making some plugs. I recently was able to start wearing wood plugs in my 0g (about 8mm) ear stretches, so I wanted to make some that I could woodburn J. R. R. Tolkien's signature symbol into.

I cut a rough 1" long dowel from some scrap in our shop and started sanding it down to a circle. To make the flares (each earring has a smaller middle part and slightly wider outside, called a flare) I wrapped sandpaper around a pencil and sanded the middle of them. After sanding down to smooth, I heated my tapered wood burning tip up to as high as it would go so that I barely had to touch the surface and therefore didn't have a chance to burn something super deep. After practicing a couple times, I ended up free handing the symbol as it worked too fast to even follow pencil lines. I then finished them with jojoba oil and tried them on! The oil will eventually turn them a bit darker, but I like where they are right now, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: The Little Library etsy.com/shop/Curiosandcreations
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016 06:27:47 AM »

Excellent job!  I can't believe how much detail you got in such a tiny space. Does the oil also protect your ears?  I was wondering if wood sap leaks or in anyway harms your skin...

They are lovely and a nice change from the plugs I have seen available...uniquely yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016 12:50:09 PM »

Thank you! Usually wood plugs are finished with some sort of oil. I use jojoba on my ears all the time, so it's like more of the same. Sometimes they are finished with beeswax first to fill some of the wood pores, which I think I may try next time, as I picked a wood with a pretty big grain and it is thirsty for the oil and keeps drying out. I love the wood look, but like you said, there isn't a ton out there (especially for Tolkien fans) that is wood and not metal or plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: The Little Library etsy.com/shop/Curiosandcreations
kiya.anik
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016 05:24:11 PM »

So cute. I'm scared of wooden plugs, I have like three pairs and I never wear them, I think my body prefers metal ones.
Back to the point, I love making my own plugs and these were super cute !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...