A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
114 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pre-cuts, in general  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

aspenwall
« on: January 11, 2016 05:40:18 PM »

First I want you all to know that I finally get it, bali-pops! Bali-pops? Get it? Anyway, the only pre-cuts I've ever bought are charm packs but I've been itching to by a layer cake. Do you buy pre-cuts with a pattern in mind or just because?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Shop I am also looking for some personal swaps. Check my profile for more info! My
Pinterest
jnicodemus
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016 06:47:30 PM »

I buy fabric because I have an unhealthy love of pretty, pretty fabric.  No project necessary.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016 03:42:19 AM »

I buy fabric because I have an unhealthy love of pretty, pretty fabric.  No project necessary.  Smiley
Mostly this!  XD

I did recently buy a couple of Moda layer cakes with an actual plan in mind, though, only it turns out I need more because otherwise the resulting quilt won't be big enough.

Precuts are also great present ideas for your nearest and dearest if they want to get you "something crafty" but don't really quite understand what you do - I got four gorgeous strip rolls from my aunt and uncle when they went on a trip to the 'States last year - I've used some of one roll already and have plans for another set.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016 02:02:56 PM »

Ok, I don't get it, please explain the joke of bali pops!

I like the idea of pre-cuts, but when I buy them they usually just sit and I admire them! I've used up a few layer cakes and jelly rolls though. I rarely like an entire line, so don't buy them as much as I used to, usually just if I find one on sale for an amazing price and it's one of my favorite lines.

ETA:  Ok, is it bali pop like rhymes with lollypop? I think I pronounce it in my head Bal-y pop (like Bally fitness) so it didn't rhyme and I couldn't figure it out! But it's like ball-y (like a soccer ball?) ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016 02:04:47 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016 05:11:47 AM »

Ok, I don't get it, please explain the joke of bali pops!

I like the idea of pre-cuts, but when I buy them they usually just sit and I admire them! I've used up a few layer cakes and jelly rolls though. I rarely like an entire line, so don't buy them as much as I used to, usually just if I find one on sale for an amazing price and it's one of my favorite lines.

ETA:  Ok, is it bali pop like rhymes with lollypop? I think I pronounce it in my head Bal-y pop (like Bally fitness) so it didn't rhyme and I couldn't figure it out! But it's like ball-y (like a soccer ball?) ?

I don't get it either, FWIW!  XD  Because of where the batik designs supposedly come from (Indonesia/Bali), that's how I pronounce it - "Bah-li", like the island.  Smiley  (Lovely place it is, too - my cousin lives there!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016 08:27:16 AM »

In my mind it's their way of keeping to the food theme of naming precuts but also giving a nod to where the batiks are made.  I always pronounced it like "lollipop" but with a "b" in front.

Can I just take this moment to make the confession that I've never purchased a precut?  I don't purchase fabric by line or designer; rather I go with color or pattern.  When I can't help myself and must buy to feed the stash I'd rather get one or two yards of a few pieces than a smaller piece of each fabric in the collection.  Plus, I've heard that sometimes the cutting can be inaccurate or off grain.  Heck, I already have to compensate for my own cutting, so I don't want to have to do it for someone else's, too.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016 02:20:50 PM »

<snip>

Plus, I've heard that sometimes the cutting can be inaccurate or off grain.  Heck, I already have to compensate for my own cutting, so I don't want to have to do it for someone else's, too.  Grin

This is, alas, very true.  :/  Some are worse than others. *squints hard at John Louden*  It hasn't yet put me off buying pre-cuts completely, but there are certain brands I would think twice about buying pre-cuts from now.

ETA:  Whoops, wrong company!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016 03:29:22 AM by Amazon_warrior » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...