A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,273
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Labyrinth themed initial letter block  (Read 927 times)
Tags for this thread: labyrinth , david_bowie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 01, 2016 04:01:08 AM »

starting off 2016 and the "50 Projects 2016" craftalong with this little cutie.  I'm actually going crazy over how much I love it!!!  I have been awake all night working on it.  I'm going to bed as soon as I'm done posting.  lol

I had no idea how I was going to decorate this at first.  I just knew that I wanted my initial on it and that was it.  I bought these cute little domes when Christmas items went on sale, and I knew I wanted to use one.  so, while playing around with some bits and bobs, I found the little glass marbles you see under the dome.  then it hit me; Jareth's glass orbs in Labyrinth.  then I came up with the idea to have a little mask sitting on top too since that's my favorite scene (and song).  but a mini mask?  I don't have any...so I made one.  I bought these fashion creator paper kits years ago (I've used some of them for ATCs you might see floating around on here), and I remembered there was a mask stencil.  so, I took one of those fake credit cards you constantly get in the mail, traced the mask shape on there, cut it out, cut out some extra pieces of plastic to make a nose, glued it all together, painted it white, and dumped (yes dumped) glitter on it.  it needed eye holes, but there was no way I could cut them out.  so I used two marquee-shaped blue nail crystals (another item I collect.  good thing too) for the eyes, and a little star burst to decorate the mask.  but the star burst wasn't enough.  for it to look like a true masquerade ball mask, it needed feathers.  so I pulled some fluff feathers off of larger feathers I have, trimmed them down, and stuck them behind the rhinestone.  the dome needed something on top of it (it was strangely deformed and I needed to hide the dimple), so I glued down a pretty little ribbon rose.  add a couple of clock hands to the back of the block and there you have it; a Labyrinth themed initial letter block...that's so cute I can't freaking stand it!  Grin

also, I'm not obsessed with the movie or anything.  it's not like I was in a Labyrinth swap.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016 08:06:38 PM by Krafty_Karasu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016 07:55:32 AM »

It's fantastic!! I need to look into the fashion creator kits
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016 12:40:24 PM »

It is fantastic indeed!  I am so impressed with your attention to detail...that little mask is just so creative and the story of how you put it together is wonderful! (I love process stories!)

What a great way to start off your crafting in 2016!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016 12:56:52 PM »

thank you ladies!

yeah, when the inspiration hit, I was locked into working out all the little details and figuring out how to do this and do that.  I couldn't think about anything else.  and though it's fairly simple, I think anything more would have been overkill.  if the block was bigger, there would probably be more, but with this only being a 2 inch block, less is more.  Tongue

if you're interested in the kind of fashion creator kits that I have, it's these ones: Klutz Paper Fashions and Klutz Paper Fashions Fantasy (which is the one that had the mask shape).  here is an example of an ATC I made using the Fantasy kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...