A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FELTED PIRANHA PLANTS! =D  (Read 2738 times)
Tags for this thread: mario , felted , featured_project , piranha_plant , needle_felted , pre_felt , bouquet , flower  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
StudioANF
« on: December 24, 2015 09:15:22 AM »

Allow me to preface this with the very fact that I love Nintendo.  Couple that love with spotting this item on my partner's pinterest board for the 12 days of Christmas swap, I was immediately sold!  I believe this was the first item I crafted for her because I couldn't contain my excitement.

The pin lead me to a really informative semi-tutorial, though I ended up modifying this for half a dozen instead of a whole dozen due to crafting time. the beginning steps have you hand sewing pieces of felt together to form a ball (filled with fiberfill), and from there you are basically needle felting the rest of the way until you get to the final steps of stem and leaves.

I am new to needle felting (learned earlier this year at the encouragement of one of my really good friends and fellow craftster) and found I loved it but never even thought about the regular acrylic craft felt working the same way.

The only annoyance I found with needle felting the thin acrylic sheets was the fact that it would disappear into the fiber fill if needle felted for too long when I was trying to achieve the crease in the mouth.  I think there is a type of fiber fill that works with needle felting though that may help this a bit.  Luckily the tongue hid most of that Smiley

The tricky part was how to attached the stem.  Unfortunately the explanation I was following didn't provide information on this part but I quickly found my solution by loosely coiling the end of the bendable flower stems so that the piranha head could sit inside of it.  Then I trimmed a small circle of green felt to have points to cover the coil and secured that [and the wire] with a bit of hot glue.  Bend the head a little to sit how you want and BOOM, problem solved!

Overall, the project took several hours.  It would be even longer for the whole dozen, though I am definitely keeping this one in my back pocket for future use.  Perhaps a lovely Valentines day surprise for someone in the future! Cheesy 

Just mind your fingers Wink

Thanks for taking a look!! - Nichole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015 09:46:18 AM »

Neat project!!  Cheesy Cheesy

Fiber Fill (polyester and such) doesn't really felt - it tangles. A lot of needle felting is about tangling, but felting occurs when working with natural fibers that have scales.

If you had used wool fiber inside the balls they probably would have been easier to shape as desired. Typically I use wool batting (as prepared for use in comforters and quilts) as "core fiber". =^..^=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Fiber art/jewelry & Prittens & other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings most of which were destroyed in a fire
http://www.intimateforest.com
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015 02:09:36 PM »

These are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015 03:34:28 PM »

I like your idea of how to attach the stems.  Good thinking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The thing about believing that you can do anything is that you actually do things!
StudioANF
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015 10:30:19 AM »

Neat project!!  Cheesy Cheesy

Fiber Fill (polyester and such) doesn't really felt - it tangles. A lot of needle felting is about tangling, but felting occurs when working with natural fibers that have scales.

If you had used wool fiber inside the balls they probably would have been easier to shape as desired. Typically I use wool batting (as prepared for use in comforters and quilts) as "core fiber". =^..^=

OooOooh, this is great information!  Thanks for this! I will definitely keep this in mind for my future needle felting projects if I need to stuff something again. Smiley

And thanks for the kind words everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016 08:20:06 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured ProjectSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're always welcome to visit my blog.

Long live Craftster!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftster/
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016 07:17:12 AM »

How did I miss this?? This is awesome  Grin I want some piranha plants now haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please consider shopping the ***CRAFT STAR GARAGE SALE*** on ebay to support our crafty future!!
EriChanHime
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019 08:14:42 AM »

This is one of the BEST THINGS EVER! While I would consider myself to enjoy Nintendo, I definitely love these plants. I've always wanted to do some kind of craft involving them, and this would be amazing! You did a beautiful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...