A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Paint on Yarn Doll?  (Read 1708 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
LoveNTheOcean
« on: December 08, 2015 06:31:34 PM »

This is driving me crazy! I need to make these yarn voodoo dolls for class, but I can not get the fabric paint to be like my inspiration photo! Grr!!! Anyone use fabric paint on yarn dolls? I feel the fabric paint looks crappy and not "narrow" like the inspirational photo. On the inspiration photo, could that be something other than fabric paint??

Advice?!? HELP!

Inspiration:

My horrible doll:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015 07:37:46 AM »

I think you are a bit hard on yourself...I think side- by- side, your doll looks exactly like the inspiration doll...and who is going to do a side-by-side anyway?

I think it is just plain dimensional fabric paint...and that your doll looks good! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015 12:15:18 PM »

I have had good luck with the dimensional paint on a zip lock bag. Let dry, peel off, and glue to the item. It is flexible enough to cling where you glue it. And you get the chance to test different size pieces, without actually placing it on there to mess up your original. Until you are ready too, that is  Grin

I like your voodoo doll. I think you did great, too. I think what you are comparing is the eyeball part with the stronger build up at the tips. That you can accomplish by letting the first layer of paint "set" a bit. And adding another drop of paint on the tips. Timing is crucial. You can't let the first layer dry too much. Just enough that the top layer will still blend. Hope this helps.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015 06:36:17 PM »

It may be that the digital doll is bigger and so the paint lines look thinner. Scale makes a difference. I actually like your doll better, I'm not sure why, maybe it's the proportions are more pleasing.  When I use a photo as an inspiration to make a (copy) of something, I always end up trying to improve. I think you did a fantastic job. I love your voodoo doll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
LoveNTheOcean
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015 08:58:43 PM »

I have had good luck with the dimensional paint on a zip lock bag. Let dry, peel off, and glue to the item. It is flexible enough to cling where you glue it. And you get the chance to test different size pieces, without actually placing it on there to mess up your original. Until you are ready too, that is  Grin

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! You rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015 09:21:36 PM »

Wow! How many of these little boogers do you need to make? Glad I could help. I have used the overlay "stencil" technique for lots of things. Greeting cards, journal pages, ATC, and other non washable doll items. The good thing about painting it onto a zippy bag is that you can place your pattern or design underneath. And if you goof...just wipe off with a paper towel, and paint again. Or just move on and don't use the goof one. If your items are close together and you don't wish to upset the good ones.

Good Luck on your project. I hope you get good grades in class.

~T
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015 09:22:53 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...