A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen Tile!  (Read 4468 times)
Tags for this thread: kitchen , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Smeddley
« on: November 25, 2015 07:02:43 PM »

It's not completely completely done, I'm not moved back into my kitchen, but it's as close as it's going to get for awhile and this is a Nerd Games projects (if you're not part of the Nerd Games, you should be!  It's over on the Miscellaneous Board and a new season is about to start!).  This is the finished tile (because I like the thumbnail to be the pretty picture!):

And this is what it started as:

Never, ever ever tile your countertops, it's the most ridiculous thing ever (we bought the house that way, always intending to get new countertops, but had to save money and other projects, like the basement walls cracking and leaking water, ended up coming first).  Why?  Because caulk shrinks and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep it clean:

Gross, I know, and I even cleaned it, but even with a toothbrush and cleanser, that stuff is impossible to keep clean.  And there's no rolling out dough, for germ reasons and because it's not a smooth surface.

I had a friend do the demo, and we discovered they just laid the tile over the existing laminate countertop:

I was so happy to see it go!

Once we'd gotten the countertops, it was time to pick the tile...

I thought I liked it, but was questioning myself before I grouted it...

But I think once the white grout was in, I'm good with it. 

I used a wet tile saw to cut about a million little pieces to fill in the edges of the tile sheets and to work around the outlets, it's my new favorite tool!  It took me two weekends and about 15-20 hours to do the tile, I still need to switch out some of the outlets (which were inexplicably off-white, but I'm putting it off because I already shocked myself once) and do a little more caulking, then paint the kitchen (it originally had a boarder at the top, I primed the wall when I took it down but never painted, so the whole kitchen needs it).  I also painted inside the lower cabinets and still need to sort through all my kitchenware and whatnot (I had two angel food cake pans - WHY?!) and put it all back.  So lots of work still left to do, but I'm pretty proud of how far I've already come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015 07:21:43 PM »

That looks great!  What kind of material did you use for the counter top?

I am hoping to do my kitchen in the near future - the siding, windows, and doors have to be first though.  I really really want a soapstone counter, but may have to consider something more economically viable...  I love the colour of yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
Smeddley
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015 07:38:40 PM »

I went with quartz.  Most granite was too busy for me (don't love the sparkles), and even though it only needed sealing "once a year and it's really easy", I know the depths of my laziness.  Quartz is a hair more expensive than some granite but is completely maintenance free.  It's something like "Marengo" from Home Depot - they had 10% off on countertops and installation, so we went with them.

I do love soapstone, I saw Nicole from Rehab Addict use it in a bathroom once, but I think it needs to be oiled, so, again, maintenance.

Yeah, windows came first in our house (they wouldn't stay open without sticks) and we got lucky (if you can call it that) with a hailstorm to get our house painted, or this would have been put off even longer... and it really, really needed it!  Houses always need something... :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015 01:00:34 AM »

It looks great!

As for the off-white sockets, maybe they were just ridiculously old? That type of white plastic ages into yellow. (more so if smokers have lived there, but just by light as well) I remember old computer screens with stickers on them, that if you peeled off the sticker, the screen was white underneath, but the rest was a horrible, almost beige-ish color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015 04:49:41 AM »

Yes, it does need oiling sometimes - which adds to the depth of colour too.  I love it for the veining and the matteness (and I love the feel of it).  But I really do also have to admit that I am lazy also - I would much rather expend the effort on cooking or crafting, rather than cleaning.  I also don't like the sparkle of granite, and was wondering about quartz - I was going to go with gray tone beveled edged subway tile with an accent of mosaic glass tile, similar to the ones you used, and thought that would be enough sparkle.  I really like your use of the black subway tile and the glass tile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

lettucecraft.com

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015 05:19:42 AM »

It looks great!!! I love the tile you chose. I have granite counters and they are terribly hard to keep clean
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Facebook

Please join us at lettucecraft.com
HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015 05:27:36 AM »

Looks beautiful! Congrats on all your hard work paying off. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
sweets4ever
The Final Craftster Admin
Thank you for everything.

Join us on LettuceCraft.com!

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015 07:35:10 AM »

Oooh!!  Love this so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our future home is Lettuce Craft!
Just... Let.Us.Craft.

Launching soon: http://lettucecraft.com/
Crafts Chats Swaps
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015 09:48:43 AM »

Looking great! I bet you are loving that smooth, clean counter surface! We're working towards a similar color story (but woodtones with grey/black instead of white) in our kitchen and I will be swapping out our ivory outlets for grey or brown depending on what color our backsplash ends up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 84
Smeddley
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015 10:37:21 AM »

Thanks, guys!

Yes, I am LOVING the fact that I can brush crumbs off the edge into my hand without it all falling in the caulk-crack (I actually had to vacuum my counters before to get up things like spilled sugar) and I really really really LOVE the undermount sink.  Why were they not always like that?!  It makes so much sense...

This house was so full of ridiculous decorating and DIY projects, it's not even funny, so I fully believe the outlets were just that, white and off-white.  The phone jack was some bizarre metal thing.  I did manage to take that apart and rewire it, despite the fact that all the instructions just say "match the colors" which doesn't help when what I have coming out of my wall is two sets of blue and blue/white striped wires, not red, yellow, green, and black!

One day my house will be done, and then we'll probably move, and the new owners will say "what were they thinking?" and rip everything out... Cheesy

Onyxnox and TheMistressT, I hope to see your kitchen renos here soon!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...