A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,890
Currently Running With Scissors:
236 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Winter Nerd Battles: December 1, 2015 - February 29, 2016  (Read 64455 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , nerd , geek  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
RedheadWithThread
Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2015 08:29:30 PM »

Prompt: December - Sock Monkey
Team: Fandom
Project Name: Chad's hat
Project Link: Here
Sock monkeys are very soft and, traditionally, they're a lovely shade of charcoal grey, much like the yarn I used for this hat. I had made it just for something to keep my hands busy while we were visiting his grandparents in Arizona over the holidays and my fiance decided he wanted it.

Prompt: December - Rubik's Cube
Project Name: Colorful hats
Project Link: Here
The stickers on a Rubik's Cube are brightly colored, much like these hats. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roler
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2015 10:40:47 PM »

Oh my goodness; I thought this thread had been awfully quiet lately but figured people were just busy with the holidays.  Turns out I was not getting notifications, and the thread's been anything but quiet! You guys are making amazing stuff!! 

Prompt: December - Viewmaster
Team: Multimedia
Project name: Turtle Needlebook
Bonus points: UFO
Brief description:
Here's one of the stocking stuffers I sent edelC.  I really love the needlebook I made myself last year, and had actually started another one almost a year ago, but never finished it. There are a surprising number of steps involved in making this little guy, and he was less than half done for ages!  I finally got him out and finished him up though for this swap.  Smiley  He's quite 3D, with a squishy textured shell and an inside for holding needles and pins.
Project Photos:

Prompt: December - Slinky
Project name: Goomba Magnet
Bonus points:
Brief description:
I made this goomba as a Christmas present for my brother.  He slinks along as the first ever bad guy in the Mario series, and he has a metal magnet attached to his back.
Project Photos:

Prompt: Zap #2
Project name: Pumpkin Oatmeal
Bonus points:
Brief description:
I made this several times while I was visiting my family in the states.  Sadly I can't get pumpkin puree over here in Japan, but this was a really delicious breakfast treat!  I used this recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2015/10/29/pumpkin-pie-oatmeal/   
I really recommend that site btw; I've made two different things from that blog and they're both easy and scrumptious!
Project Photos:

Prompt: Throwback #2
Project name: Forget-Me-Not Ear Warmer
Bonus points:
Brief description:
I made this as part of the Spell My Name swap for Averia.   She had this on her pinterest wish board, so I tried my hand at it! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504121752018614057/
Project Photos:

Had to make sure it fit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
storerboughtcreations
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2015 10:54:05 PM »

Prompt:  big time #1
Team: multimedia
Bonus Points:
Project Name: mason jar tops
Project Link: (if available)
Brief Description: I decided to use the three mini kits I won for the last raffle round as jar decorations instead of ornaments. I'll hang on to them until next Christmas, when I'll use them for gifts. Smiley
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roler
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2015 12:15:12 AM »

ActsofCraftiness - I love your Christmassy project dump!!  Nice to get those stockings all ready to hang! They're really nice; did you freehand those nice embroidered names?  I really want to get better at embroidering words; mine are so sloppy.  I'd never thought of making homemade vanilla extract - what a great idea!  And your sparkly ornaments are so glittery and great!  Awesome keys, and so clever for the many many houses without chimneys!!  The gingerbread house is really cute too; I LOVE making those things so I was very happy to have a little cousin who needed help with one this year. Smiley  I like the bright colors you chose for those dishcloths, and they look really comfy to wash with too.  That bottle embroidery is super impressive; I'm bookmarking that sulky fabri solvy for later, since I'm really trying to do more embroidery this coming year!  And you're right - that 3D effect of those floating ornaments really is cool!  Good luck on your zodiac project; looks like a ton of work but should be adorable!  I agree that lego seems to be dominating this battle; your lego pillow is really great too!  I kind of want to make one of those now too!

puzzled-penguin - That hungry caterpillar project is just gorgeous!!  I can see you put a lot of time and care into it!  It really is beautiful.

storerboughtcreations - Squeeeee; your otter is SO cute!!  I'm always so impressed when you come up with your own designs for cute things like that!  He almost looks like he could be a 3D wall hanging or something!  Great job with those jars! I can't believe how quickly you finished all those cross-stitches after receiving them, and that's a cool creative way to use them! Smiley

rockingbearranch - Awwww, Hattie looks so happy and warm in her scarf!  And the rice pack looks very useful!  Oh my goodness; you made that bear?!  It's great!!  Glad you were able to repair it!

pishaw13 - As usual, I am in awe of your clothes-making skills.  It's still so beyond me, but you make it look easy!  Those pajama pants all look really comfy and are in such fun patterns!  And omg your puppy is SO CUTE with his new blanket!  And hahaha, that Cosby sweater is great!!  I really like the chiffon sleeves on that sweater for yourself; they look so elegant!  The Star Wars scarf is AMAZING!!  Fantastic job!  I can definitely believe that it took a super long time! Congrats on finishing it!  Hahaha; the firefly hoopla is fantastic!  You found the perfect fabric for it!!

bunny1kenobi - Oh, what a darling stocking! I think a whole cross-stitched cuff like that is more than enough to make it personalized and special!  That Magic box looks very professionally done!  Very cool.

craftADDchick - I love your lego dishcloth! I was definitely able to identify it without any explanation! It's so colorful and cute!!  Pinning that! I can see the two colors on the kumihimo bracelet! That's another really fun-looking craft. Smiley

calliemae - How fun to give a lego gift in a lego gift bag!  It's also very easily identifiable!

FreakieGeekie - Wow, that's a lot of hats!!  How long does it take you to make one of those? They look so comfy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
stillatthetop
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2015 03:13:39 AM »

>storerboughtcreations..Can you grow pumpkins in Japan? They are pretty easy. And can grow in a large pot on a back deck. The vine, that is. It spills over and needs a trellis with old nylons tied on, for holding up the fruit. But I bet you could make your own puree. Just one or two fruits would make a bunch of cups of it, and it is best if you only allow a few pumpkins per vine, anyway. And the puree freezes well when fresh. You would not have to can it. Just a suggestion.

Neat projects. I love the canning lid idea. Your turtle is cute, too. I haven't been getting my notifications, either. I am going to have to go back a few pages and see what I missed. And slap that notification thing again  Grin

~T

Oooo. ActsofCraftyness...your floating ornament things really caught my eye. I have a horde collection of used lightbulbs. I bet they would work to make a similar idea. How did you get the little silhouette in the bottle/ornament?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015 03:19:05 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
pishaw13

"The world is a mess and I just need to rule it"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2015 09:06:44 AM »

Roler- You are so sweet! Thank you for always taking the time to comment on almost every project posted. I am horrible about that but I really appreciate people who remember to check in and post such nice compliments!
That being said, I love your little turtle, it is so stinking adorable! And I love that head band and I sincerely think I am going to copy you at some point (if you don't mind of course).
Storerbought- Those lid covers are so sweet! I love the patterns too. How cool to be able to use your raffle winnings! They will make a great gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Two things that matter to me. Emotional resonance and rocket launchers"
-Joss Whedon
puzzled-penguin
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2015 01:46:59 PM »

Okay, I'm way behind with commenting but everyone's been busy with some really fab projects.

rockingbearranch The canning lid is a really clever little ornament idea and the comic book stars are really cool. The rice pack is really cute, I like the fabric.

calabaza I love muffins, and those raspberry ones look especially good.

roler Mmm... the apple pie cookies look absolutely delicious, very tempting. I adore your tissue holders! I've always got packs of tissues on me (allergies) but these look so attractive, I might have to give the tutorial a try. I love the colours you've used. The stocking for edelc is awesome, the colours and designs definitely fit that Japanese kawaii style. The little turtle is the cutest needleholder I've ever seen Smiley

pishaw13 = You've certainly been busy with lots of clothing! Great pyjamas, I think my favourite are the zombie print but I really like the birds too. Your sweaters look great. You're right, the different materials give it a completely different feel, I really like both. The Star Wars scarf is amazing! Totally epic. I know a few people who would adore it.

FreakieGeekie I'm in awe of your lap blanket! It's really beautiful and I love the different colours/ shades that it has. The beanie hat looks fab, I'd never have known that wasn't your first choice for colours.

Mountains and Clouds I've only ever had a couple of chances to use perler beads, but I do remember them being a bit fiddly and time consuming (and great fun), your pineapple looks really cool. The dolls house looks like a great research project, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

bunny1kenobi That orange bread looks amazing! I'm not surprised everyone wants some.

storerboughtcreations The Dr Who earrings are brilliant! What a clever way to use cross-stitch! They look great. The pom-pom otter may be the cutest thing I have ever seen! He's completely adorable! I love what you did with the cross-stitch kits! They look brilliant on the jars and your stitches are so neat! I can't believe you managed them all so quickly.

gozer Very pretty card holders, the fabric is lovely.

ActsofCraftiness I absolutely love the Santa keys, they're beautiful to look at and such a sweet idea. We didn't have a chimney growing up and I used to worry about Santa getting inside too. My dad told us Santa turned into sand and came through the keyhole. I really like your gingerbread house, I love seeing what people come up with for their houses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2015 02:56:53 PM »

Ok... just before the end of the month I'll post my first prompt! Wink

Prompt:  December - BATTLE ROYALE - LEGO
Bonus Points: n/a
Project Name: Kitchen Towel Holders
Project Link:Crochet Towel Holders
Brief Description: I made kitchen towel holders for my mum and big sis using old hairbands from my girls. The crochet has to be tightly around it, as well as the button has to be very secure, similar to how Lego Bricks will stick together.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistress_batty
Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2015 04:01:02 PM »

I'm joining in the chorus of people saying they're behind on commenting on everyone's awesome stuff <3 lol I think that's my 2016 goal, be better in commenting!

So I have 5 crafts to post - so Team Multimedia, here's a cool 100 points, babes! <3

Prompt: December - BATTLE ROYALE - Lincoln Logs
Project Name: tiny cardinal cross stitch
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: This was miserable to stitch. lol it's so small and I made a mess in the back and so on. It was my first attempt of stitching on such fabric (it's way smaller than 14 ct aida lol)  -  lol and my fella asked how it relates to lincoln logs and my explanation was - lincoln logs = wood = trees = omg birds live there! lol
Project Picture:

Prompt:  December - Rubik's Cube
Project Name: Leroy the Elvis Impersonator - cross stitch
Brief Description:  This is a belated Christmas gift for a big Elvis fan. There's just over 20 colors in this piece.
Project Picture: 

Prompt:  December - Cardboard Box - my prompt 'horses'
Project Name: horse head cross stitch
Brief Description:  Another belated Christmas present - this time for a horse lover.
Project Picture:

Prompt:  Winter - Throwback
Project Name: 10th Doctor fingerless gloves
Brief Description:  I started these ages ago with a different pattern and then frogged them and got 80% done and ready to submit them for the month of Nov. in the Fall nerd battles but Thanksgiving and everything happened and they got put aside and I missed the deadline to submit anything for Nov. So....I finished them this month! I made bow ties for them but really didn't like how they came out, so...I decided to just forgo the bows.
Project Picture:

Prompt:  Winter - Throwback
Project Name: Tardis drink cozy
Brief Description:  Just like the cozy I made for my water in Fall, this is for my energy drink, which freezes my hands. And who doesn't want a little Tardis to sit on their desk? lol Another project from Nov. that fell victim for the holidays lol
Project Picture:

and inside now im just like OMG January get here, I'm dying for the new prompts to be revealed! lol

Happy New Year, everyone! <3  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanath
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2015 05:05:46 PM »

Hey everyone, it's Tanath, reporting to you live from the new year!
I'm happy to report that 2016 has been good so far (all 3 hours of it, here), so any of you peeps still in 2015, come on over Smiley
Got a quick post for the Battle prompt, I'll post the rest tomorrow, when I can remind myself what project goes with which prompt.

Prompt:  Decemeber Battle - Lego
Bonus Points: none
Project Name: MM chain pendant
Project Link:
Brief Description:
Choosing a side for this month's battle was easy. I grew up in a household full of Lego. My dad loves it, so he got us tons of it (almost literally, he once came back from the states with a shipping box full of Lego parts). We spent many happy hours sorting the bricks and building awesome creations. I decided to do something with peyote, since this stitch reminds me of how Lego bricks snap together, sometimes when I work the beads they even make a small satisfying click when they settle into place. I wanted to make a chain with the classic Lego colors, but couldn't find the correct shades of green or blue in my stash, so ended up with only a few relevant colors. I was very pleased with the combination I selected, and only halfway through the project I realized why. The colors are the iconic Mickey Mouse colors!
Anyway, here it is. I might make a beaded chain for it, haven't decided yet.
Project Picture:

And on a chain:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...