A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 314,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
183 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrappy Trip Around the World - Sign-up 11/23/15-12/5/15 - Mail out by 1/16/16  (Read 8942 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

BigBangMomma

Wowza! I've almost reached 90 completed swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015 02:37:10 PM »

Wow, partners already! If memory serves, I think I may have swapped with mine before. At the very least, I a have friend from college who lives  in her city! Small world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Traveling Little Visitor Rd 27: Tuscany is away in Alaska, and I am hosting Baranof.
May Ongoing ATC: 2 claimed/1 sent/0 received
Animal Inspired Swap: Waiting on Partners
quaggy
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Any day crafting is a happy day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015 05:57:46 PM »

Holiday season has me busy but after next Friday I will be on a 2 week winter break and plans are to make my blocks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015 11:10:53 AM »

I still have a ton of doll clothes and other Christmas gifts to finish before the 24th, but have set aside the week before New Years to make my blocks. May try to get some of the strips cut before then or see what leftovers I have from jelly rolls. Only need 72 strips, so that's easy enough to cut from remnants when cutting out the doll clothes. Even though I've been sewing a lot of pink doll outfits, I already had them cut out. I promise not to use pink in the blocks.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
60/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015 12:53:51 PM »

Smiley I think I'm th only one with a pink restriction.

I've chose to go with... a few of my favourite pictures from the year as my inspiration. Feels like a nice way to reflect on 2015 while playing in my stash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
BigBangMomma

Wowza! I've almost reached 90 completed swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015 05:08:51 PM »

I will be traveling and spending my first Christmas since 1998 with members from my own family, so I'm thankful for the mid-January send-outs. I will be doing my crafting in January. (And, if I'm MIA the last few weeks of December, that's why.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Traveling Little Visitor Rd 27: Tuscany is away in Alaska, and I am hosting Baranof.
May Ongoing ATC: 2 claimed/1 sent/0 received
Animal Inspired Swap: Waiting on Partners
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015 11:42:32 AM »

Not sure if I missed it or not...are we doing the gallery the same as the quilt block swap?  Or are we posting when we receive?  I sort of like the second because I keep forgetting to check back if someone does not mention they posted their blocks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
waterbaby

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015 12:57:40 PM »

Not sure if I missed it or not...are we doing the gallery the same as the quilt block swap?  Or are we posting when we receive?  I sort of like the second because I keep forgetting to check back if someone does not mention they posted their blocks...

There'll be a gallery, which I'll create as soon as the first block(s) are on their way.  Everyone please be sure to post when you've sent.

Have cut out all the strips I need and think I have them in their final groups of six.  Hope to get sewing next week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015 05:50:37 PM »

Started sewing yesterday in between other projects. I'd get to either a boring part or really hard section of a project, then take a break by working on these blocks. Nothing like mindless stitching to relax me.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
60/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
brandyk
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015 01:59:46 PM »

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. I am finally getting these blocks underway. I am not sure if I need my IQ checked or what, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around where to open each loop of squares. I keep making mistakes & having to re-sew a square on. UGH! Any quick tips for someone who thought they were smart enough for this swap? Maybe I just need to do get more practice. I have only made 2 blocks so far. Hoping my brain fog clears :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterbaby

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015 08:16:42 PM »

I am not sure if I need my IQ checked or what, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around where to open each loop of squares. I keep making mistakes & having to re-sew a square on. UGH! Any quick tips for someone who thought they were smart enough for this swap? Maybe I just need to do get more practice. I have only made 2 blocks so far. Hoping my brain fog clears :-)

It definitely takes a few to develop a method that works for you -- at least it did for me.  I've made a bunch of these blocks and as carefully and deliberately as I try to stay in order, I still get it wrong sometimes (more often than I feel I should at this point)!

One good thing, which took me a while to realize, is that even if you skip opening up a seam you can make things right with the next strip by opening the seam you skipped on the next loop instead.  Remember that in their looped form each strip is exactly the same, the squares in exactly the same order.  Now not that you should do it like this because it would be way too confusing, but: it doesn't really matter what order you open up the seams just as long as you open up a different one each time.  Once all the strips are (properly) opened up you can put them in order.  And in fact, once you've got them in their proper stairstep arrangement, you can actually re-order them as long as you maintain that diagonal patterning.

What I've found works for me is to stack the loops as I cut them so they're all facing the same way.  Then I open up the top seam of the first loop.  Next I clip the second seam of the second loop, the third seam of the third loop, and the bottom seam of the fourth loop.  Flip the next loop over and clip the second seam.  Flip the last loop over and clip the third seam.  It can be helpful to lay out the loops in their new strip form as you go along so you can check your progress.

I'm about to get started on another one and will take photos of this part of the process and put together a pictorial that will hopefully help clarify the process.  Photos have been taken (took a few tries as the light was bad) and am working getting them into a tutorial format....

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015 01:23:58 AM by waterbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet
Earth-Friendly Gift Wraps

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...