A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
210 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrappy Trip Around the World - Sign-up 11/23/15-12/5/15 - Mail out by 1/16/16  (Read 9200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 23, 2015 09:26:03 PM »

Swap name:  Scrappy Trip Around the World
Craftster member who is organizing this swap:  waterbaby
Sign-up date range:  November 23-December 5, 2015
Date to send item by:  January 16, 2016

GALLERY!  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=442433.msg5361316#msg5361316

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional):  20

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO

Additional Age requirement?  No

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES
- Is at least 18 years old: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 16 years old: YES
- If within the US, understands that Delivery Confirmation number is required for this swap: YES
- If outside the US, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: YES

Details of swap:

This is a fun and fairly easy 12 inch quilt block made with 2 x 16 inch strips from six different fabrics, so its a great stash buster.  Basically, you create a six-strip set, sew that into a tube, then cut the tube into six new strips.  The next step requires that attention be paid to the order of opening up one seam in each strip.  The last step is to sew the new strips together to make your block.  Once you get the hang of the un-seaming process, these blocks don't take too long to put together.

Find the complete instructions here:  http://quiltville.com/scrappytripspf.html

This will be a Choose How Many Partners You Want swap.  Youll be making four scrapilicious blocks for each partner and may choose to have one, two, or three partners.

1 partner = 4 blocks
   2 partners = 8 blocks
   3 partners = 12 blocks

Be sure that you are sewing accurate quarter inch seams; your completed blocks should measure 12 inches or very slightly larger.[/b]

To participate, please complete and send questionnaire to waterbaby with Scrappy Trip in the subject line.

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:

Name of swap:  
Craftster username:  
Email address:  
Your real name:  
Mailing address including the country:

Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?  
Confirm that are at least 16 years old:  
Do you have any allergies that would prevent you from exchanging with smokers or pet owners?  
Are there people who smoke or pets where you sew and/or store fabric?  

Do you want one, two, or three partners?
   1 partner = 4 blocks
   2 partners = 8 blocks
   3 partners = 12 blocks

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO waterbaby VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also, remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find other rules about participating in a swap.

PARTICIPANTS:

1.  alwaysinmyroom
2.  quaggy
3.  kbrison
4.  brandyk
5.  BigBangMomma
6.  sloth003
7.  waterbaby

PARTNERS

Group:
     alwaysinmyroom
     quaggy
     kbrison
     sloth003

brandyk --> BigBangMomma, waterbaby

BigBangMomma --> brandyk

waterbaby --> brandyk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016 06:39:25 PM by waterbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015 07:01:57 AM »

Do you want each person to specify whether or not they want all four blocks to be identical from one partner?

The more I look at the quilt link, the better I love the scrappy look!  I don't think they need to be the same...

Thanks for organizing this...I need a new swap project after Thanksgiving!  This looks fun!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015 07:04:21 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015 07:10:15 AM »

I can't imagine making four same blocks. Not in a scrappy swap! But that is a good question...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
waterbaby

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015 07:25:49 AM »

Do you want each person to specify whether or not they want all four blocks to be identical from one partner?

The more I look at the quilt link, the better I love the scrappy look!  I don't think they need to be the same...

Thanks for organizing this...I need a new swap project after Thanksgiving!  This looks fun!

I can't imagine making four same blocks. Not in a scrappy swap! But that is a good question...

Thanks for asking the question, alwaysinmyroom -- it never occurred to me that people might think they needed to make their blocks identical!  While they certainly can be done that way, this swap is meant to be scrappy all the way; I'll add something in the description to that effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015 09:11:11 AM »

I agree sloth...when I read the instructions, they give hints on providing contrast...and I think that is what makes the diamond pattern, not the fabrics...the contrast of light and dark...so I am going to make sure I do scrappy and would like the same!

Also, can someone explain what they mean about the pressing?  Or show me?  I hate it when the seams don't lock or are bulky, so I want to do the pressing correctly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
waterbaby

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015 10:27:20 AM »

I agree sloth...when I read the instructions, they give hints on providing contrast...and I think that is what makes the diamond pattern, not the fabrics...the contrast of light and dark...so I am going to make sure I do scrappy and would like the same!

Also, can someone explain what they mean about the pressing?  Or show me?  I hate it when the seams don't lock or are bulky, so I want to do the pressing correctly.

Pressing is basically the same thing as ironing, but with less pushing along the fabric.  This quick video is a good demonstration; as you'll see she presses straight down to set the seam, then there's just a little bit of moving the iron when she rolls the fabric over to press the seam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_y1_aNKAMM  The idea is to prevent stretching the fabric, so a little bit of iron movement even in the seam setting phase really is OK.  Here's a more detailed video which also talks about nesting of seams; as you'll see her iron has a bit of wiggle while she sets the seams:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtUCovNWqTI

Usually we press seams as we go, but for the Scrappy Trip block technique, you're better off waiting until you've sewn all six fabric strips together.  Then if you follow the press-to-alternating-sides described, when you go to sew your strips of squares together the seams will all nest perfectly.

And yes, contrast, either in color or value, between neighboring strips helps the patterning created by the diagonals of color in each block.  Here are some examples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/songtuyuri/15805887112/
     http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/scrappy-trip-around-world-t210464.html
     http://hopefulhomemaker.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/scrappytripalong1.jpg

And as with half square triangles, that diagonal patterning allows for a variety of layouts; here are just a few ideas:

Standard Trip Around the World but done with these scrappy blocks: http://www.moderncozy.com/2014/06/finish-it-up-friday-scrappy-trip-around.html

Offset concentric diamond: http://saltyoat.blogspot.com/2015/05/solid-scrappy-trip-around-world-quilt.html

Interior diagonal section: https://www.flickr.com/photos/66135235@N05/9266998760/

Chevrons: https://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltingmick/8396540021/

Just plain improvisational fun: https://www.flickr.com/photos/se20/8864351597/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015 10:59:09 AM »

I, in typical rebel fashion, may stick with my usual of pressing open... I find i am way more precise with open seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015 12:39:38 PM »

Those are all fabulous, waterbaby!  Now I am getting excited about this one!

I should have been more clear...Grin.  I know what pressing is vs. ironing...uh, I would hope after 50 years of sewing and quilting... Grin...

What I should have asked is: what is mean by pressing the alternate strips?  Does she mean after sewing them together that one seam gets pressed one direction and the other seam get pressed the other way?  I might join you, sloth,  in pressing the seams open...it might give people more options than my normal way of pressing to one direction...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015 12:40:46 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
waterbaby

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015 01:33:34 PM »

Those are all fabulous, waterbaby!  Now I am getting excited about this one!

Grin

I should have been more clear...Grin.  I know what pressing is vs. ironing...uh, I would hope after 50 years of sewing and quilting... Grin...

What I should have asked is: what is mean by pressing the alternate strips?  Does she mean after sewing them together that one seam gets pressed one direction and the other seam get pressed the other way?  I might join you, sloth,  in pressing the seams open...it might give people more options than my normal way of pressing to one direction...

First of all, if that's a recent picture of you in your avatar then you must have started sewing in the womb if you've really been doing it for 50 years!

And yes, exactly right about the alternate pressing.  Here's a diagram I hope makes it clearer:

With a total of 60 seams to match up (six seams on 10 strip sides) (which as I look at what I just typed seems a horrifying prospect, but it really isn't, I promise), pressing this way really does help speed the process of joining the strips-of-squares together!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015 01:37:37 PM by waterbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015 03:04:25 PM »

Sounds lovely - it would probably be too much of a bother for a swapper to ask for squares to be all in shades of blue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...