A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
252 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hatshepsut: 1926 Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Restoration & Repaint (Pic Heavy)  (Read 5304 times)
Tags for this thread: singer , treadle , sewing_machine , restoration , repaint  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Supermutts
« on: October 18, 2015 06:01:02 PM »

Hatshepsut: A 1926 Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Restoration and Repaint (Pic Heavy)
Model# 66 Singer Treadle

A breakdown of my crazy summer project that turned into a fall project.
Word of Caution: Im not a restoration expert! This is just what worked for me  Cheesy

Before Pics:

My grandmother owned a treadle when I was a child so when I came across one at a lawn sale on my birthday I knew I had to buy it. The problem was it was not cared for lovingly like my grandmothers machine. The decals and paint were worn and the machine was completely seized. The cabinet had serious scuffs and dings and while I can heavily appreciate the fact that its 89 years old I wanted to restore her glory.

Luckily my little brother has an extensive tool shop and he helped tear down the machine and took photos all along the way to help put it back together. The amount of grime and rust inside the machine explains why it was seized.

The cabinets:
The finish was in rough condition so I sanded it down and re-stained it. It had a lacquer on it so if you want to do this yourself get paint thinner otherwise it is extremely difficult to sand through. Once I finished sanding it down I stained it with Minwax dark walnut followed by polyurethane.

Cabinets Before:

Refinished cabinets:

All the hinges and screws were soaked in Loctite rust dissolver and then scrubbed to remove the 89 years of rust and grime.

The treadle:
To clean up the treadle I took a brass wire brush and steel wool to scrape off the flaking paint and rust. Then I spray painted it with a Krylon matte black spray paint for metals. The treadle was missing one wheel so my brother out a wooden wheel and after spray painting it you cant tell the difference.

Treadle before:

Treadle after:

The decorative plates/needleplates, etc:
These were really rusty and grimy! The biggest help fixing these was a dremel with a brass wire brush and then Maas metal polish. The before and after pictures are amazing!

The interior pieces:
The bobbin and all the metal bars were heavily rusted and grimy so my brother and I used a dremel tool and a brass brush to clean up everything to working order.

Word to the wise: You need to have some mechanical skills to do a complete tear down like we did and in most cases it is not going to be necessary. This is my brothers skill set and we still had some moments of confusion and our biggest help was that I found a second identical machine in a flea market to salvage broken parts from and compare part placement.

Before and after: The feed dogs

Repainting the Machine:
To strip the old paint I used Ready Strip but I didnt like it and I had to use a razorblade scraper to get the majority of the paint off. While I love the end product I will probably never repaint a sewing machine again.

After I got the machine stripped I primed it with a Self etching primer. I taped off, stuffed paper, toothpicks and cotton swabs into any openings in the machine.

For the main color I went with Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2x Gloss Seaside. I used steel wool between coats to softly sand off blemishes like the fly that decided to land on the machine while I worked  Angry

Replacement Decals:
 I found some beautiful Egyptian styled waterslide decals on Ebay designed for this model. To help set the decals to my curvy machine I used Micro Sol solution. To finish I used Rustoleum clear gloss to protect it. The pictures do not do the decals justice, they really make this machine pop.

After it fully dried it had to be reassembled which wouldnt have been possible without my brothers patience. And the best news is that it sews! We couldnt test it before starting since it was so seized so it was a frightening 3 month restoration hoping it would sew at the end. It still needs some adjustments and I have to get used to working the treadle but meet Hatshepsut my newly restored 1926 Singer Model 66 Treadle Sewing machine!

Finished Machine: Back in the Cabinet!

89 years later and still stitching!

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015 04:08:27 PM by Supermutts » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." -Captain Mal
HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015 06:24:58 PM »

This is nothing short of amazing! You left nothing undone, and the colors rock. Kudos for taking on this project. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015 08:08:57 PM »

YOWZA! Kudos to you  and your brother for being so thorough and careful with this reno. And wow, is that a sexy sewing machine now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 75
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015 08:56:50 PM »

Great job, I love Seaside, and it POPS with the gold.

I recently bought a similar cabinet with treadle, want to use it as a bedside table.  Don't hardly need no work at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015 08:57:47 PM »

Oh it is beautiful. I am so envious. I would love a working treadle machine but could never put in that sort of effort. Well done to you and your brother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsycandice
Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015 09:48:40 PM »

The process was neat to see. Thanks for sharing. The after image is beautiful! Enjoy her. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Crafster Best of 2014 Winner!

STS Shop Winter 2016
50 in 2014
50 in 2015
thisbirdsabsurd
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015 05:17:10 AM »

Oh this is great!  I have the same machine ( it was my grandmother's) that I use for a side table.  The machine is in pretty good shape but the table could use some work.  You've inspired me.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015 07:06:19 AM »

Wow! How amazingly gorgeous!!!! Awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015 09:10:32 AM »

Fantastic job!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015 07:14:17 AM »

Oh my - that is GORGEOUS!!!!!!  So much work, but you did a fantastic job.  Love that colour you painted it, it looks wonderful with the decals - a showstopper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...