A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
125 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Vinyl Figures  (Read 4365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
h-chan
« on: October 17, 2015 04:36:46 PM »

Would anyone be interested in doing a custom vinyl swap? I think it would be really fun. It would be based on your swap partners wishlist. You can buy the blanks on eBay for about $10-12 each. There are a bunch of how to YouTube vids for mixed media, best materials to use, etc. It was originally open to Fubko only but I'm opening it to any vinyl figures of a similar size.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016 12:19:56 PM by h-chan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
roler
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015 05:33:30 PM »

I love this idea! But won't have time til after Christmas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
h-chan
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015 09:39:14 PM »

January would be fine. I intended to make my very first two  as Christmas gifts. It would allow me a little practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
RovingAnarchist
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015 09:18:52 AM »

Heck yeah!

I love vinyl figures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I carry a bag that says FREE KNITTING LESSONS on my daily transit commute, & give a little hands-on tutorial to anyone who asks. They get a starter kit with needles, enough cotton yarn to make a plain dishcloth and a set of instructions. Swaps/donations for materials welcome!
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015 11:41:04 AM »

I have been wanting to try my hand at vinyl figure makeovers, I'd be in
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h-chan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015 05:43:20 PM »

Grin

Should I start an official swap or do you guys think it's too early? Signups would be thru Dec 31 with all of Janurary to acquire the Pop, craft and send?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
roler
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015 06:43:51 PM »

Taking another look at finances right now, I don't think I can afford this swap right now, sadly. Sad My main crafts these days are sewing related, so I don't have ANY paints, clay, etc, and would basically have to start work on an entirely new type of stash (I have worked with paints and clay in the past, but so long ago I don't have any supplies at all left from that period).  It's a pity, 'cause this looks super fun.  If you do end up doing it, I definitely want to check out the gallery!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

h-chan
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015 06:52:39 PM »

You can use this type of paint which is only .79 cents a color when it ISN'T on sale. I haven't bought Sculpey in a while but I think I got them for $1 each on sale? The great thing is you can paint the clay any color you need so you don't have to buy a bunch of clay colors. I just bought a new set of paint brushes for under $10 with a 40% off coupon at Michael's. They have a lot of great sales coming up for the holidays. If you catch sales you can definitely create a custom for less than $20, Pop included.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
roler
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015 09:33:50 PM »

That sounds much more affordable than I was thinking... but all the video tutorials I've looked at strongly advise against any clay that needs to be baked... have you baked one before?  Does it work, and does it ruin your oven?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h-chan
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015 08:07:02 AM »

I used it long ago and I don't remember it ruining my oven. I'll look into it some more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
RovingAnarchist
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015 10:47:47 AM »

I looked it up, as I was a bit dubious about baking vinyl, and apparently people are boiling the figures with Super Sculpy to relatively good effect...http://becircle.com/modifying_your_munny_sculpey_modeling_clay

Although I think just painting or Sharpie-ing a Munny would be just fine. It had never occurred to me that changing the shape of it was a thing to do. After all, once you start messing about with the form, it's not really a Munny any more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I carry a bag that says FREE KNITTING LESSONS on my daily transit commute, & give a little hands-on tutorial to anyone who asks. They get a starter kit with needles, enough cotton yarn to make a plain dishcloth and a set of instructions. Swaps/donations for materials welcome!
roler
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015 07:57:45 PM »

Hmm, the boiling is an interesting idea; thanks!  And clay can be used for hair styles, accessories, and all sorts of other shaped stuff that doesn't change the overall look of the type of doll!

At any rate, I won't be able to join any swaps for a couple of months, but this is at least looking possible! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h-chan
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015 10:49:24 AM »

Fantastic  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
h-chan
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015 11:58:30 AM »

I started my first last night. Here's the progress so far. I stuck it in the oven to cure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
ceemonster
Eccletic Crafter

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015 11:13:46 AM »

I'd be interested in doing this! I'm obsessed with Pops but have not yet tried to do any customs myself.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cate

http://pinterest.com/ceemonster/
Private Swap Friendly
h-chan
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015 11:19:24 AM »

Yay! Welcome! Warning because this is also addictive. I'm on my third and planning a fourth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
dfabbric
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015 09:13:34 PM »

i think this sounds fun but maybe make it any DIY vinyl character there are lots out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My fabric and more store (30% off 12/1/17-12/4/17)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpoolMonkey
h-chan
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015 09:26:25 PM »

True but I think the Pops are one of, if not the most popular. It's just easier for me to run a swap with one I have experience with as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015 08:28:19 AM »

woah! that hair looks fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h-chan
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015 09:00:38 AM »

Thanks! I've done 3 so far and need to finish two more before I can start the swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
h-chan
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016 12:30:55 PM »

I'm ready but I need at least 4-9 people to join the swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
koalascout
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016 07:34:07 AM »

cool, love the idea, would love to do this one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h-chan
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016 07:46:05 AM »

We just need enough people to say they commit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016 04:30:42 AM »

Keeping an eye on this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandit1990

Not currently interested in personal swaps

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016 04:25:58 PM »

sounds interesting, but I won't be joinging any swaps for awhile (organizing one soon though)
There are so many different kinds of pop figures out there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft all the things!
h-chan
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016 04:30:16 PM »

I'm sad because I thought more people would be interested in this. If there is someone that would like to do a personal swap with me, please message me! This is the first one I made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
dfabbric
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016 07:28:17 PM »

I'd love to do this swap or a personal one, unfortunately living in canada its harder to find some of these guys and Ive never seen a DIY Pop character
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My fabric and more store (30% off 12/1/17-12/4/17)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpoolMonkey
h-chan
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016 07:29:50 PM »

Paid about $12 for a diy on ebay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
SilverMoon
Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016 04:42:23 AM »

I would, but the blank ones cost $19 here, and then there is the postage to send to America on top of that Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Susan

Pinterest
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016 12:17:30 PM »

I think this would be really fun, but I don't collect Funko Pops necessarily. I have a bunch of other vinyl toys in my collection, so I'm not opposed to the Pops, but I have had my eyes on the TokiDoki Unicorno blank for a while. Maybe if you open up the swap to other types of blanks and just put a minimum height requirement, it would be easier for people to join? There's also the Kidrobot Munny and a ton of other fun blank vinyl toys which would give people other places easier access perhaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
h-chan
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016 12:20:41 PM »

I think this would be really fun, but I don't collect Funko Pops necessarily. I have a bunch of other vinyl toys in my collection, so I'm not opposed to the Pops, but I have had my eyes on the TokiDoki Unicorno blank for a while. Maybe if you open up the swap to other types of blanks and just put a minimum height requirement, it would be easier for people to join? There's also the Kidrobot Munny and a ton of other fun blank vinyl toys which would give people other places easier access perhaps.
Done  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BANGTAN Style!
PromisedHeartbrk
Art Geek

Rock and Roll Momma

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016 05:18:50 PM »

id be interested in this if it would take place after this month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love a personal swap! Send me a Pm Smiley I am always up for a personal hoopla, felt badge, or magnet swap!

http://pinterest.com/manakinn/
https://www.instagram.com/manakinnskiss
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...