A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 311,828
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 7 Minute Chocolate Cake… In A Mug! (Tutorial)  (Read 3348 times)
Tags for this thread: cake , recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils… (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2015 10:09:34 AM »

This is such a basic recipe that it has probably been posted here already in some variation or other, but I love it so much that I couldn't resist sharing.

You need:

30g butter
40g dark chocolate (high cocoa %)
1 egg
2 tablespoons of sugar
4 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
A large, microwave resistant mug (like the one in the picture)
(Optional) A long-stemmed spoon (makes beating the dough and eating the cake easier)
(Optional) Chocolate chips for decoration

Preparation:

• Put the chocolate (broken in pieces if it's a tablet) along with the butter in the mug. Microwave at 800-1000 Watt for approximately 30 seconds, or until the chocolate and butter have suitably melted. (The specifics of this kinda depend on your microwave. I've made this in several different devices, and it's always slightly different. Never went wrong though!)
  • Beat the chocolate and butter with your long-stemmed spoon until it's a smooth mixture, and no more chunks are visible. Add the egg. Again, beat until the dough is smooth.
  • Consecutively add the sugar, beat it smooth, add the flour, beat it smooth, and then add the baking powder and beat it smooth one last time.

WARNING ABOUT BAKING POWDER #1: Seriously, don't overdo it. A little bit too much and your cake rises out of your mug like it's come alive to make a mess of your microwave. It will still be perfectly edible (you'll also feel like you have more cake, as it will be approximately twice the size of your mug) but the cleanup is a bitch.

WARNING ABOUT BAKING POWDER #2: Mix extra long after adding the baking powder. It dissolves slowly, and you really don't want tiny chunks of it swimming in your dough when you bake it, it messes with the taste.

• Microwave it at 800-1000 Watt for about 1min20-1min35 (again, it depends. When you see the cake rising up and forming a nice bulb on top of your mug, it's about done. It might sink back when you open the microwave, but this is no problem.)
  • Add some chocolate chips on top for decoration. You can also jab a hole in the cake while it's hot, and fill it with chocolate chips for extra gooey chocolate goodness.

And to end this… for proof and reassurance, this is a mug cake I made with this same recipe, just a little less baking powder than it should have had. Still perfectly delicious, and as you can see, Not Raw. (This is something I had to convince my distrusting family members of xD)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015 10:54:16 AM by Quantumphysica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dorkariffic

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015 11:51:55 AM »

Do want! Does the shape of the mug make much difference? It looks like yours is tall and (relatively) skinny. I have a large mug that is almost like a soup bowl, and I am wondering if it would work the same way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do believe in the power of stuff..." - Sokka

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" - Dumbledore

Water Tribe Hufflepuff, married to an Earth Nation Ravenclaw.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

flamingo obsessed

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015 12:16:39 PM »

this looks good, I made a different recipe last night and it was kinda solid..not good. I will give this one a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, for supplies, surprises, flamingo themed things and general silliness

I would love to get my hands on charlie harper fabric.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Quantumphysica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015 03:05:35 PM »

Do want! Does the shape of the mug make much difference? It looks like yours is tall and (relatively) skinny. I have a large mug that is almost like a soup bowl, and I am wondering if it would work the same way.

I have never really tried a very different shape of mug, and I'm not an expert on how exactly heat distribution works in a microwave, so I can't say for sure… The only problem I can possibly imagine occurring is the edges being undercooked while the center is overdone. (And even that I'm not sure of.)
All in all, I think it's worth a try. There isn't that much that can go wrong, after all. Tell me what happens if you do!

this looks good, I made a different recipe last night and it was kinda solid..not good. I will give this one a go.

Please tell me how it worked out! ^_^
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015 03:11:06 PM by Quantumphysica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dorkariffic

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015 06:03:27 AM »

Time to experiment!  Cheesy I'll let you know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do believe in the power of stuff..." - Sokka

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" - Dumbledore

Water Tribe Hufflepuff, married to an Earth Nation Ravenclaw.
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015 02:57:35 AM »

That's great - especially since DH is gluten free now, and I have a chocolate cake craving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015 10:00:43 AM »

Looks deliciously chocolaty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015 07:23:30 AM »

Me and my son just finished our first chocolate-mug-cake and it was very delicious!
I should have taken a picture, but is smelled so good that I forgot about that... haha  Cheesy

Thanks for this awesome recipe! This rocks!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quantumphysica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015 02:28:36 PM »

Me and my son just finished our first chocolate-mug-cake and it was very delicious!
I should have taken a picture, but is smelled so good that I forgot about that... haha  Cheesy

Thanks for this awesome recipe! This rocks!!  Grin

I'm so glad to hear the recipe worked for you! ^_^
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015 04:21:48 PM by Quantumphysica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015 11:57:49 AM »

Yumm. Thanks for sharing. I think I need to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Croissant Bread Pudding
@Home This Weekend: DIY Side Table
May 17, 2017 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...