A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,577
Currently Running With Scissors:
221 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sarlacc Cake  (Read 1375 times)
Tags for this thread: baking , star_wars , sarlacc  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
teaandcraft
« on: October 11, 2015 02:53:12 AM »

I was inspired to make this Sarlacc Cake by Kathleen at Yummy Crumble. However I wanted a gingerbread flavoured cake, so I didn't follow Kathleen's recipe. Instead I used my Anzac Cake recipe but omitted the coconut, vanilla essence, and vinegar and added two teaspoons of ground ginger, and half a teaspoon each of ground cloves and ground nutmeg.

I made cinnamon cookies for the tentacles and jaws, but they puffed up a lot so if I was to make this again I'd choose a different recipe. A Madeleine tray is recommended by Kathleen for shaping the jaws of the Sarlacc, but I don't have one and didn't think I could really justify buying one. Instead, I used aluminium foil to create two shapes that looked kinda like the head of a spoon turned upside down. I laid a sheet of paper baking over these molds and then shaped the cookie batter over them. It turned out pretty well! I had to cut off some of the biscuit because it was a little too tall for the cake, but I need biscuit crumbs so they didn't go to waste ^___^

Once everything was cooked, I mixed up some cinnamon chocolate icing and put it in the hole of the cake and around the edges of the hole. The icing ensures the Sarlacc tentacles and jaws don't move around too much once you place them in! I used some of the excess biscuits to make into crumbs and spread them over the icing to resemble sand. I added the remainder of the icing into the Sarlacc's mouth where it works to hold the jaw even more firmly in place, and also kinda resembles a maw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

GryffinMaus

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015 07:41:51 AM »

Ultra cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015 10:12:54 AM »

This is epic! Was it as glorious to eat as it is to look at?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015 08:27:26 PM »

Thank you @Abbeeroad!

I'm delighted to report that it was delicious @Quantumphysica! Ever since I first made the Anzac Cake it's been requested by all of my friends for their birthdays and, since I was getting a little tired of making the exact cake every time, I've been experimenting with different versions. It's a dense, moist cake which makes it fantastic for heavy decorations (it can withstand the weight!) but it also doesn't taste dry without icing on it. Icing is always still recommended though ~____^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015 11:57:24 AM »

Ha! How fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Collapsible Tier Tray
Well, Hello (Art)Dolly!
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...