A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Stocking Swap Round 11 (Signup thru Oct. 20; send out Dec. 4)  (Read 55007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Sarasmile
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Arts and Crafts Ninja

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #260 on: November 07, 2015 11:44:48 AM »

Check In Question Time - this is a 3 parter! Smiley

Do you put up a real tree or artificial?  Is your tree themed? When do you put it up?

I don't put up a tree because it's just me in the home and I don't care Smiley I do put up decorations, things from my grandma that make me reminisce about when I get them all out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 07, 2015 11:49:02 AM »

I am also in the allergic to pine category, so it's been artificial trees all my life.

I think I may have mentioned that my family tradition is to put up the tree on Christmas Eve, to be taken down on Epiphany. Absolutely no theming there.

Hubby's tradition is Thanksgiving weekend, artificial (apparently growing up they had one of those silver ones with multicolored lights aimed at it) and not really a theme, just whatever his mom feels like that year.

So, OUR tradition is becoming that we aim for the weekend after Thanksgiving, generally make it by the first weekend in December.  Except for the year that our cat was a kitten in which case it was up, but not in the proper place.  We had to put it in the Forbidden Room of Mystery (aka my husband's room of art & books) because she was always ending up in the tree at eye level.

No real theme, just whatever catches our eye or has been given to us.  This gives us an eclectic assortment that includes: Captain America, Aaron Rogers, Batman (multiple) Darth Vader, traditional Dutch inspired angels, Nutcrackers, Haunted Mansion Mickey, various other Disney ornaments and small "traditional" ornaments.

And we try to not let it stay up past Epiphany.  Or at least no later than the weekend after Epiphany.

progress? HAH I keep changing my mind.  Too many good ideas.  currently working on getting everything I need for the stocking itself & I plan on starting a medium this evening.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2015 02:52:11 PM »

We have that same deal as ladybugsandbumblebees - some years we feel like putting up the artificial, some years it seems less bother to do a real tree. I like to do it on black friday when we are home for the thanksgiving holiday. Otherwise we tend to put it off and put it off... we never seem to have everyone home at the same time.

No real theme to it - I keep trying to move toward a blue and white Christmas. I would love to have my whole world turned many shades of blue with white, but so many of our ornaments have special meanings to us I don't think I could ever part with them even if they don't fit my blue and white wish. We have many from my grandmother, my mother, an annual tree trimming party we held for years and years, crafted by me as a child, crafted by my children, received in swaps, gifted to the children each year after performing in the church pageant... all are cherished. 

I usually take it down January 7th and pack it up all by myself. I really like it to be up until the 6th but by then I am really ready for everything to get put away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teag
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #263 on: November 07, 2015 03:00:34 PM »

I haven't put up a tree for a couple of years, but when I did it was an acnrtificial tree that unfortunately has seen better day as it is shedding needles- I usually put my tree up thanksgiving weekend,  usually on black friday- since I never do black friday
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muahahahaha
« Reply #264 on: November 07, 2015 03:26:20 PM »

This is my first year where I'll have my own tree, and I'm planning to get a real one. I don't think I'll do any particular theme this year, though I've always wanted to do it fantasy themed so maybe, but I don't know if I have the right things for it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plaidpineapple
« Reply #265 on: November 07, 2015 08:53:19 PM »

We put ours up Thanksgiving weekend.  Artificial tree, with no particular theme.  It is so much work to decorate, I have been known to still have the tree up the second week of January.  I dread cleaning it all up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharalee
http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

Re:
« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2015 12:14:56 AM »

We had a real tree when growing up until I was in High School & then one of those silver artificial tree with the wheel that change colors! Then when I got married my parents gave it to us! We used it a few times. But when we had our kids we liked the real ones better!  
But now we have had real & artificial! We love the smell of the real ones but don't like the mess! I had the big artificial one up last year so this year I think I'll just have my 2 ft one with little handmade ornaments & different things!  The bigger tree is usually silver & blue ornaments with white lights! I love it! It's getting old & losing it's needles! We put it up usally the weekend after Thanksgiving & leave it up for my Birthday on Dec 30th & then I take all the decorations down the first week of Jan! It's sad & good too!

Here's our tree last year!
I've been working on a few small gifts! Still making sketches of the stocking getting it down to a couple I think! It's so fun figuring it all out & playing with fabrics & desiding what to use & things!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
quaggy

Any day crafting is a happy day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: November 08, 2015 06:22:48 AM »

I use to go all out in years past and put a tree in every room (7 total)each had a theme but as I have gotten older and my son is out on his own its just one artificial tree in the living room.

Here is last years been doing this one for several years.  It usually goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I have been working on another swap but have completed 1 crafted item for this one.  I was also at Hobby Lobby and picked up a ________ _________since they were 50% off and I needed one for something else I wanted to make.  I know what I am going to do for my stocking and hope to get started on everything next weekend.  Since I am off the week of Thanksgiving and have no real plans, I  will be making more progress.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015 06:25:03 AM by quaggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2015 08:12:49 AM »

Growing up we always had a real one tree but now I have an artificial. The real ones are so expensive!! We have no theme but I think I might do a color themed tree when my kids are gone. Now it's a hodgepodge of all their special ornaments. We always decorate the house and tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. Friday we always go to a movie since I have the day off then either that afternoon or Saturday the decorating begins. My lights go on the house the night before Thanksgiving if I can talk my honey into doing them. In fact I would have them up now but he says no!

I purchased lots of supplies and little stuffers yesterday on a craft store trip!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015 08:13:20 AM by lindyv321 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

texscrapper
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2015 02:04:27 PM »

texscrapper - I KNEW you'd have an LSU tree! How fun!

Here's a pic Sevs - this is from 2 years ago, and a few ornaments have changed, but you get the picture Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Insulated Lunch Sack
Take a Bath!
Meal Prep Monday: Indian-Inspired Savory English Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...