A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,885
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Stocking Swap Round 11 (Signup thru Oct. 20; send out Dec. 4)  (Read 55431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SevsOnlyGirl
Swap Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2015 07:44:40 PM »

Check In Question Time - this is a 3 parter! Smiley

Do you put up a real tree or artificial?  Is your tree themed? When do you put it up?

We always did real trees and they bothered my asthma, so a few years ago we finally switched to artificial.  Not as pretty, but it's ok.  Our tree is not themed, unless you count hodge podge as a theme! We have a lot of handmade ornaments, special event ornaments and my Grandma's ornaments.  I try to put it up on Thanksgiving, but usually at some point that weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecrazymom
different day, different craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2015 08:36:43 PM »

am I first to answer???l
I love a live tree but the last few years we travel to celebrate so the tree dies....
I ended up buying a fake one- pretty nice, and I do like that it has lights already but I really love the smell of the live trees! We just do one- with lots of ornaments, and as much as I'd love to have it up early- it usually is done the week before Christmas! (so then I just keep it up halfway through January!!)

PS- many crafts started- none finished yet. Hoping to change that this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ETSY shop! www.designsonawhim.etsy.com
My WISTS! http://www.wists.com/onecrazymom
My PINTEREST! http://pinterest.com/onecrazymom/

...even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas....
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2015 08:49:12 PM »

We have always had a live tree until we started growing trees.  Now we won't cut them down so we have an artificial tree. 

And it is loaded with all of our many memories from many years of living.  We never put up a tree before Thanksgiving and we usually leave it up until January 6 (epiphany). 

Sometimes it takes us a week or so to get all the ornaments on it.  And we always have a row of tiny bells at the bottom of the tree for the cat to play with.  She loves them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

48/50 done
texscrapper
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2015 08:49:46 PM »

We put up two trees - and they are polar opposites of each other!

Our main tree is a real tree - I love real trees. It has very rustic dcor on it - ornaments are made of wood, tine, and other metals.

Our second tree is a themed artificial tree. It is a BEAUTIFUL gaudy purple LSU tree. All of the ornaments are LSU themes, the tree topper is a football helmet, and the only gifts that go underneath it are LSU themed wrapped in LSU wrapping paper.

We decorate and put up  the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I have been working like a whirling dervish! Last night I did cut my partners stocking - tomorrow is a day of and I'm planning to be a sewing fool! I have several projects mapped out ... in my mind .... so we will see what happens tomorrow!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015 08:53:27 PM by texscrapper » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmac

I love felting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2015 09:20:21 PM »

I live by myself, and rarely have visitors to my apartment, so instead of a tree I decorate myself with Christmas vest, sweaters,  jewelry and socks. Sometimes I try to match everything to one theme, and other times it's just a hodgepodge of Christmas wonderfulness.

As a young child we always had a real tree until my mother got tired of cleaning up the needles.   Then they bought a huge artificial tree which we put up every year for a long time.
 We never decorated with the theme, just ornaments that all the children made, and ornaments my grandmother made.  After my seven siblings and I moved out my mother bought a small artificial tree and decorated it with the Raggedy Ann and angel ornaments.  At the end of Christmas season she took the decorated tree up to the attic, and brought it down still decorated the next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2015 05:36:46 AM »

We put up our tree sometime after Thanksgiving.  To me, Xmas decorating is so much work, to have it all up and done makes more sense if we do it when we have a longer time to enjoy it.

I was thinking about what kind of tree we have and why.  Because we have had both artificial and real.  And the only reason I could come up with that we do both is it depends on if hubby is up to getting the artificial one out of storage and putting it together, or if he wants to go with the "easier" way and purchase a real one!  Roll Eyes

Ours never has a theme, although hubby wishes it did.  We have my beloved Grandmother's ornaments on there, ornaments that were gifted to us from family, friends, or students, and many that we have purchased for our children.

We also have lights, garland, etc...

I finished Sharalee's stocking last night.  Working on a small/medium item right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
SevsOnlyGirl
Swap Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2015 05:59:18 AM »

onecrazymom - our fake ones has lights on it too, since that (to me) was the biggest headache, I do like that part!

pinokeeo - I love that you have bells for the cat to play with! This will be our cat's first christmas, so I'm interested to see how she behaves. She'll just be a year at the holidays.

texscrapper - I KNEW you'd have an LSU tree! How fun!

kmac - I think it's super fun that you decorate yourself! Cheesy  After my grandma's kids all moved out, she got a 3 foot tree and left it decorated in the spare room.lol

Ladybugs - I do think the themed trees are pretty, my aunt has 4-5 themes she switches between, but I just can't give up my favorite ornaments.  I love to look at them and talk about them when we put them on the tree every year.  One that my Grandma made has a picture of her and it's my favorite, even she was not terribly crafty and it's a little cheesy.lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anubisheart

Lost in Zombieland

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #257 on: November 07, 2015 07:33:28 AM »

Growing up we always had a real tree ( much to my sister's dismay, she is allergic to pine) I know when I moved out all we could afford was a tiny artificial purple tree but now I have a full size LED tree. I miss the pine but I dont miss the mess it created. My tree usually isnt themed, well not intentionally. I collect Disney's Sketchbook Ornaments, so over the years my tree has become more and more Disney Tongue

I like the idea about the bells, its going to be my kittens first Xmas this year too, I might have to get the bells to keep him from attacking the whole tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can walk you can dance; If you can talk you can sing
Art exists in many forms, the trick is to see all of them.

Check out my etsy!
www.etsy.com/shop/AnubisCreations
Check out my Blog!
http://anubiscreations.blogspot.com/
mom2em
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2015 08:22:07 AM »

We have always had an artificial tree but this year we are planning to get a real tree for a chance. Both of our kids also have their own fake little trees that they decorate themselves.

We usually put up the tree and decorations on thanksgiving weekend.

We don't have a theme for our tree but we do collect ornaments from vacations and each year we give the kids ornaments related to something they did/liked that year so when they leave home they will each have their own box of ornaments to take with them.

Oh I got the material for my partners stocking yesterday so hoping it will get made tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015 08:23:34 AM by mom2em » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Christine~
Proud SAHM to Emma (11/14/07) and Abigail (6/16/11).
http://www.etsy.com/people/mom2em/favorites?ref=pr_faves
http://pinterest.com/mom2em/
snowyangel
Mothering 2 boys, rescuing animals, sewing & gardening.

Tryin' to "adult" everyday...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: November 07, 2015 09:21:57 AM »

As a kid, my family would go out on my dad friends acreage, thigh deep in Canadian winter snow, cut down a nice fragrant tree and strap it to the top of our crappy car. Ah how I miss those adventures! Now with having cats that climb up our trees and a  grabbing curious toddler, artificial is the way to go! It goes up Dec 1st after all thanksgiving festivities has  passed and it is color themed with mostly silver, blues and whites in all shapes/sizes. We have a smaller accent tree we decorate with the traditional reds, gold and green ornaments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laura
"Stayin alive one strong cup o' coffee at a time...."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...