A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Converting Garage space for a new Sewing/crafting room.  (Read 904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
DeathToLems
« on: September 29, 2015 07:07:14 AM »

Hello Craftsters.

I need your advice. Im about to kit my garage out to make a crafting space and was going to take a trip to Ikea and other home furniture stores.

What I would like to know is all the things you think I will need.
example?
what's in your opinion the best kind of storage for fabrics?
what's the best storage for thread?
what kind of sewing table should I get?
etc

Please offer me advice and tips for things I should be using to store my equipment.
I'm pretty sure there's things I never even knew existed for crafters when storing equipment, fabrics,tools, etc

*IDEA*
How about if everyone posts an image of their sewing/crafting space so I can get an idea of what I should be aiming for.

Thank you for your help guys in advanced. The decorating and converting will be a craft within itself. So I can't wait to get started but I want to make sure I dont forget anything while out shopping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015 07:44:14 PM »

Are you in an area where moisture/temperature/humidity is constant?  Is the garage insulated?  What kind of flooring?

If there is issues with fluctuating temperatures/moisture, and the flooring is concrete, then you may want to avoid the composite wood shelving because they would absorb the moisture, swell, warp, and eventually may get moldy, and you may want durable totes for fabrics to keep moisture out, and that won't crack or become brittle if it gets cold.  Also, cedar blocks or something to keep bugs out.

On saying that, there are tons of creative ways of setting up workspaces.  I like how some people have utilized things like using shelving units as their leg posts and putting a slab door or something on top of that to be the desk surface - to maximize storage.  Then you can have a large flat surface to measure and cut on too - you could also glue or tape a tape measure on it too to be your measuring table.  I use a large oak table myself, and had DH build some shelves that sit under the table so that one side is shelving, and  I can hide all kinds of boxes underneath and behind the shelves. 

I also am a fan of hanging my most useful tools in reach - I wanted pegboard, but DH never got around to helping me with that.  I have several bookcases in my room, and one the exposed sides of several of them, I have narrow metal handles screwed in horizontally, and S hooks on them - on some buckets hang and they hold paint brushes, pens, etc.  On others, I have my plastic grid rulers, scissors, etc.  I also have two of the metal rolling carts (Raskog?) and they have many things I use often, and S hooks on the sides of them also.  I have a number of magnetic items and have sheets of sticker magnets on another edge of the bookcase for magnetic dies.

If moisture is an issue, then you may want to invest  in a dehumidifier, or if you want lo tech, packages of silica in your storage containers (for paper patterns or fabric).  I save mine from other things like shoe boxes, medication containers etc, for uses like this, or even clean kitty litter for larger areas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...