A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Fall Nerd Battles 2015: September 1 - November 30, 2015  (Read 97445 times)
Tags for this thread: nerd , geek , craftalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #330 on: October 31, 2015 12:23:46 PM »

Thank you! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #331 on: October 31, 2015 02:11:37 PM »

Prompt:  October -  Loch Ness Monster
Team:   Fandom!
Bonus Points: Community
Project Name:   Sir Stirling Moss portrait
Project Link:  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=441332.0
Brief Description:   Clay sculpture based on many photos!
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Tanath
« Reply #332 on: October 31, 2015 02:43:48 PM »

Prompt: October Battle Royale - Yeti
Team: Fandom
Bonus Points: Community
Project Name: Bottle Bowling
Project Link: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=441331.msg5349430#msg5349430
Brief Description:
I created a bowling set out of plastic bottles, for my daughter who is currently learning the letter Bet (Hebrew letter, sounds like B or V). There is a Hebrew word for bowling, but most people here just call it bowling, and the Hebrew word for bottle also begins with Bet, so it was a perfect fit. Also, I made it all from stuff that we had around the house, but recycling starts with a different letter Smiley
I went with Yeti for all the snowy white in this project, and also, the light blue we used reminds me of the cute Yetis I saw on Craftster (do a search for Yeti, you'll see what I mean).
Project Picture (a few more pictures in the project link):

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
Smeddley
« Reply #333 on: October 31, 2015 04:25:06 PM »

Prompt: October Battle - Yeti
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: N/A
Project Name: Yeti Hoop
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Whipped this up (after a minor setback) just for this battle, posting quickly before Halloween and the World Series - I might be too depressed to post afterwards!  It's a Yeti!

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistress_batty
Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #334 on: October 31, 2015 06:17:05 PM »

Prompt: October Battle - Yeti
Team: Multimedia
Bonus Points: N/A
Project Name: water bottle cozy
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: The yeti may enjoy the cold weather, but not me! I have my water bottle always at my desk with me but it freezes my fingers. I hate trying to type and work when my fingers on my right hand are cold and achy. Sucks. Soo....I found this neat crochet stitch that I like....picked a color scheme...and boom! No more cold fingers.

Project Pictures:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #335 on: October 31, 2015 07:25:08 PM »

Prompt:  October Battle- Sasquatch vs Yeti-   SASQUATCH
Bonus Points: n/a
Project Name: In Search of...
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: This project's title could end with "my sewing skills"* because this project started as something else entirely. But, I have learned that my fussy cutting skills are not up to snuff, and when I cut into a FQ printed from Spoonflower, I made a fatal error. As a result, the fabric panels were too small for me to cut a second piece. I tried to salvage it with some clever piece-work, but after I had sewed one side to the zipper, I realized that the whole project was too small to use (it was supposed to be a padded case for my iPad mini). Instead, I pulled out the brown fuzzy fabric and the scraps of my FQ and made a zipper pouch to hold the charging cords for the iPad and the keyboard. How does it fit the prompt? Well, take a look...

Sasquatch is a brown, furry creature, so that part is obvious...

But, take a look inside and you'll see a lone Sasquatch hiding among the Yeti!

And, even though it seems like Sasquatch will most likely lose the battle, I couldn't let myself switch to Yeti. Sasquatch is the one I first learned about, and he's supposed to be a North American inhabitant, so I'm going with the local team Smiley  Plus, who doesn't love the movie Harry and the Hendersons?

*And, I first learned about Sasquatch from watching the Leonard Nimoy hosted TV show "In Search Of..."

The Yeti/Sasquatch fabric is way too cute to keep hidden, so I may try to salvage the original project and use it for something else- it might fit my Kindle, actually! Maybe it'll make an appearance later in the games.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015 07:27:09 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
stillatthetop
« Reply #336 on: October 31, 2015 07:40:49 PM »

>>mistress batty..I love that stitch! It looks like one I could do  Grin Let me guess. Single crochet, chain two, then chain up for the next row? Or did you do it flat and then have a seam? If that is it, I think I could figure out all kinds of neat things to make like that. I don't crochet often, but I wish to get back into it. All the neat projects here like yours are so inspiring.

I love the colors you chose for your water bottle cozy. And it looks a good project to use up scraps, too.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
mistress_batty
Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #337 on: October 31, 2015 09:02:39 PM »

>>mistress batty..I love that stitch! It looks like one I could do  Grin Let me guess. Single crochet, chain two, then chain up for the next row? Or did you do it flat and then have a seam? If that is it, I think I could figure out all kinds of neat things to make like that. I don't crochet often, but I wish to get back into it. All the neat projects here like yours are so inspiring.

I love the colors you chose for your water bottle cozy. And it looks a good project to use up scraps, too.

~T

Thank you!

This is the easiest stitch ever. lol  I found it here on this blog post -  http://adaliza.com/2012/01/30/between-the-lines/

It's UK terms in that post......
so the US terms ....

sc 1, ch 1

Go along one side with a color, ch 1, turn, and then start with a new color.

now when you're doing a sc it'll be in a ch sp. and vice versa.

lol That's it.  I did it flat.  I used 11 colors in total for the one I did. Mine is braided ties -- lol instead of cutting off my yarn ends, i braided them so i could tie the cozy onto the bottle.

I hope that helps & makes sense! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ActsofCraftiness
« Reply #338 on: October 31, 2015 09:13:50 PM »

Prompt: October Battle Royale - Yeti
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Yeti Softie
Project Link:
Brief Description: I was scrolling through some Yeti projects on Pinterest, and my daughter ran over when she saw the cutest Yeti softie, saying, "Pretty!" So, I had to make it for her. I used the pattern and tutorial from here.
Project Picture: I just finished my Yeti tonight, and I forgot to get a picture of it before my daughter took it to bed with her! Im going to try to sneak it out of her room so I can get a photo.

Edit: Here it is!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015 01:15:29 AM by ActsofCraftiness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #339 on: October 31, 2015 11:57:03 PM »

>>mistress batty, that makes perfect sense! Thanks. Now I see the reverse stitching. At first it looked like it was all fronts. I can do the chain and turn. And granny squares. I can even triple crochet  Grin

ActsofCraftiness, I can't wait to see your Yeti Stuffy. That sounds cute! This Yeti prompt is a fun one, for sure!

This HP group sure is a busy one!

~T

Oops, Ludi, I forgot to tell you that I love your little men. I used to sew costumes for collectable 8" Mego Action Figures (don't you dare call them dolls!  Grin) for an artist who sculpted the heads. then made rubber moulds and cast them in resin. It was a very interesting process to watch. I will bet the digital method even more so. You put so much detail into them. They look lifelike!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015 12:02:38 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian
@Home This Weekend: For The Birds
November 6, 2019 Featured Projects

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...