A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 314,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
247 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie with a question! [how to design logo]  (Read 2496 times)
Tags for this thread: hello , knitted_hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Wimpydimples
« on: August 14, 2015 11:11:17 PM »

Hello, I'm new, haha. I'm also fairly new to knitting but have managed a couple squares, a huge scarf, a range of wearable moustaches (haha!) and one hat. This community looks fantastic, I want to learn how to sew and things too... I'm so excited to join haha. Up until now I've just been knitting with no one else to talk about it with as I don't know anyone who enjoys knitting.

Anyway I want to surprise my man by knitting him a hat with a one off design on it. He has a company with a very recognisable logo so I wanted to do that. I was just wondering how I'd go about making the pattern? Can I just take the picture and make a pattern directly from that, or do I just need to keep trying and failing with knitting until I finally get it?

It isn't too difficult a design and only uses two colours, black and yellow, but sometimes it would only be about two black stitches in a line. I suppose in that case I'd have to kind of carry the black thread on the back of the design... I'm not entirely sure how to do that...

Sorry, hope someone is able to help Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015 10:43:51 AM by MareMare - Reason: to make topic more specific » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015 03:45:20 AM »

Hi there, welcome to Craftster!  I don't knit at all but am happy you found us.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015 07:22:11 AM »

Welcome aboard!! It's great to have another knitter around here.

Here are a few ideas you could look into!

To make the chart for the logo design, you may want to try printing out some knitting graph paper. Knitted stitches aren't perfect squares - they are more rectangular - so you wouldn't necessarily want to use regular graph paper. Here's an example...http://www.theknittingsite.com/patterns/23a4portrait.pdf

And here's some instructions for making your own picture charts...http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-intarsia-picture-knitting-c/step1/Other-Jumpers/.

Check out intarsia knitting. It's a technique for color knitting that doesn't require you carry yarn like fair isle knitting does. Depending on what the logo looks like, this might be the easiest method. Here's some more info...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/intarsia-color-knitting
http://www.purlbee.com/2008/06/30/intarsia/

Another way to get the logo on the hat once you've designed it could be to use duplicate stitch embroidery. You'd knit the hat (in stockinette) and then go over stitches with another color afterwards. Here are some sites to check out with more info on that technique...

http://www.purlbee.com/2007/10/28/duplicate-stitch/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE5X-sLq7X8

I hope this starts to give you some ideas! Maybe some of our expert knitters around here will chime in too Smiley. I don't do much color work but we have some pros that do!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015 09:00:23 AM »

Welcome to Craftster!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Wimpydimples
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015 11:26:19 AM »

Hello again! Thanks so much @limeriot for all the info, I will have a look through it all soon and see what the best option will be Cheesy I'm so excited to get started! My man actually got me into knitting as when I broke my ankle last year he came home with a pair of knitting needles and some wool, and told me that I should learn something to make my broken ankle worthwhile. Then he said the colours of wool he bought was more his colours than mine... Hahaha so I haven't made very much yet as it's taken so long to knit him a massive scarf. I have a few more sets of needles not though so I can do a few projects at once.

@missingwillow well I will be checking out the rest of the forum too, I actually found you guys as I desperately want to learn to hand sew and to use my sewing machine but am having extreme difficulty learning on my own as I can't find easy enough stuff and keep getting frustrated.

Thanks @sweets4ever Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015 11:39:18 AM »

Have a stroll through our Purses/Bags/Wallets tutorials page.  You may find something relatively simple there to help you get started with sewing.  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?page=category&id=18&section=purses_bags_wallets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wimpydimples
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015 05:14:45 AM »

Well, I was following @limeriot 's advice there and had made a picture chart, then got started on doing a practice square as it is my first time doing intarsia knitting (never even heard of that before haha!) and I'd done six yellow lines then managed to add in the black for three stitches (well brown, need to get the proper colours from the knitting shop tomorrow haha) and swap back to yellow and I was super proud, then my man buzzed the doorbell for me to send the dog down to the loo, pfft!!! So I've hidden everything away for now quite disappointed,y as I was really enjoying doing that haha. Thought he was gonna be out all day, I've never been so disappointed to see him :p haha!

Anyway I will have a look through those tutorials now @missingwillow and hopefully find one to amuse me until he goes out again haha!

Loving the intarsia and picture chart thing though, that's so exciting! Everyone will be getting themed hats for Christmas this year hahaha.

I have just started to learn to crochet from stuff on this forum now too, I am very very happy to have found you guys! I have managed to crochet a long thin line and have been proudly showing it off to everyone who comes round to visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wimpydimples
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015 05:52:44 AM »

Okay, I'm already going a bit mad here haha, turns out I'm terrible at surprises. I can't wait to finish it and show him, and I'm not even doing the proper thing yet haha! I'm even tempted to sneak off for "a bath" and just sit in the bathroom and knit haha! I asked him what his plan for the rest of the day is (aka "are you leaving the house?!") and he says he's got the whole day free to spend with me, hahaha! The one time he decides to play Mr Perfect Tongue it's a good thing this is just a random surprise and not like a birthday or Christmas present, there's no way I'd last that long haha! I keep getting a big cheesy grin on my face every time he talks to me, hopefully he doesn't get suspicious haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wimpydimples
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015 12:38:09 AM »

A wee update for anyone who is interested: got the right wool now and spent most of yesterday trying to put the wool into a ball. The wool came in these long twisted things and as soon as I started using them they turned into huge tangled messes haha!

Anyway I have almost got the black wool into a ball and don't even get me started on the yellow haha. I have made a hat before and it only took me a few hours, and no I have the design and everything ready I am desperate to get started haha so this is very frustrating Tongue will get there soon!

Quick extra question though... For making a hat, I have looked for a basic mans hat pattern, ie one colour and all normal knit stitches, just to base the size on, but all the ones I find have extra details etc. anyone got a link to an ultra basic hat? The design I have made is about 27 stitches wide at the widest part, and 34 stitches high, I'm using 5.0mm needles and the wool is pretty thin (it says 100gr, I don't know if that's the width or what). I could probably get a sneaky measure of my mans head too haha if needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015 09:55:59 AM »

Ohhh yeah! Skeins of yarn can easily turn into a big mess if they aren't wound. If you purchase from a yarn shop, they usually have a yarn swift to wind it into a ball. They can help you get the hang of using it too. It looks like this...

If you don't have access to a swift, try this technique... http://www.instructables.com/id/Hand-Wind-a-Ball-of-Yarn/.

Have you checked out the list of hat and headwear tutorials we have here? You might find something you like there!! Here's the list... https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=412191.0

This is another resource you might want to check out...http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html. It's an overview of yarn weights - very important to help you figure out gauge and fit!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wimpydimples
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015 01:41:01 AM »

Haha wow that thing looks mad! Thanks! I still have a skein waiting to be "balled" so will try the instruct ambles thing and get it sorted. I haven't even begun on the yellow but thankfully my man made a comment the other day about how he'd like me to make moustaches in the brand yellow (I'm making a bunch of them to raise money for Movember) and he reckoned an existing yellow I had was more the brand yellow than the one I'd just bought (pfft!) haha so I have dumped the new yellow aside for now and will tackle it later. I have much less of the old yellow wool so ice added a thick black stripe to the bottom of the hat and then the top of the hat will be black too, so the design will be on a thick yellow stripe in the middle. In my head it looks pretty cool but we shall see! He also has stickers of the design which are round so if this doesn't work out then I could  always do a totally black hat with the design in a circle in the middle. I think I prefer the stripe idea though.

Started the project a couple days ago but made a mistake and didn't realise for a few lines. I don't know how to go back and fix mistakes or unpick part of a project and still keep going so I just unpicked the lot and will start again with my newfound realisation of how to change the wool colours on the non public side of the piece (I was accidentally bringing the other wool forward too). My man is out all day today so I am hoping to get the hat done or mostly done today!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...