A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
107 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Rope Rug that Wouldn't End...but finally did!  (Read 8985 times)
Tags for this thread: rope_rug , featured_project , stashbuster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2015 05:04:18 PM »

My boyfriend and I just bought our first house. The minute we put an offer on the house and it was accepted, I was instantly in nesting mode, combing through pinterest for all sorts of ideas for things we could do around the house, and of course things I could make to turn our new house into "our" house. One of the first projects I found was this great blog tutorial for making a rope rug. Skip forward in time to us actually moving in...our lower level is where we primarily hang out now. It's a neat space that's tiled with some windows for natural light. The only problem is that on most days the floor is freezing! This is where the rug comes in. I decided it would be the perfect thing to make.

I tried to take progress pictures as the rug grew....and kept notes on how big it got compared to how much rope I was using.

This was the very beginning, it's so cute and dainty. I only had half a bundle of rope and this is where it ended...

Adding another bundle of rope...for reference, each bundle is 100 feet. I took this picture to show off the beauty of the rope all wrapped and ready to be sewn in all it's glory. *Sidenote: wrapping up hundreds after hundreds of feet of rope is not friendly on your wrists or fingers....it is a fantastic way to use up scraps though!

This next picture is after the next bundle of rope was added? The cutting mat next to it is one of those full sized ones that is 24" long I think just for relative reference.

Here's what my set up looks like after it got too big to keep sewing on the table like one would normally do. I did my utmost to sew flat and level but my rug still got wonky and the edges kept curling up no matter what I did (more about this later).

And I think this is about when I killed my sewing machine  Cry Well not really. But I did learn that sewing too much in one sitting is a recipe for jamming up your machine (i.e. I guess the metal parts get too hot and then stick together or something? I don't know, the professionals had to fix this one for me). Live and learn (I'm guessing all you seasoned sewers out there knew this already - let's just say I've never sewn so much for so long...this project took a long time!).

Ok, got the machine back all spiffy and in good shape again. Back to sewing sewing sewing.. well only 15 minutes at a time, then letting the machine cool and take a break, etc. I was very paranoid about jamming up my machine again. $120 to get it fixed up once is more than enough, thank you!

And now it's done!

I will say that this is not how it looked fresh off the machine. After I was done with the sewing, it was kind of horribly lumpy and I was rather dispirited that I had spent all that time and energy (and money!) making a lumpy mess. But the blog advises to spritz and iron the rug if this happens...the ironing didn't do enough for me, so I literally rolled it up, and stuck it in the shower to give it a good soaking. Then I laid it as flat as I could get it on the floor (hey the carpet will dry!) and put some heavy flat things on top of it (a really cheap bookcase and the removable shelves) and after a day it's looking good!

Here's a standard fold up chair on top of it to give an idea of the size.

Now to the fun part. Numbers. I told you I kept track of how it grew...so here it is!

0.5 of a bundle of rope (approximately 50 feet).......15 inches
1.5 bundles......24.5 inches
2.5 bundles......31 inches
3.5 bundles......36.75 inches
4.5 bundles......41 inches
5.5 bundles......45 inches
6 bundles.........47.75 inches......the total size of the rug.

So to recap, this ended up being made up of approximately 600 feet of rope, making a rug 47.75 inches wide in diameter...I wish I could have kept going to make it even bigger but I seriously don't want to kill my machine again, and it is very very hard at this point to maneuver it through the machine smoothly. Still I am really happy with how it turned out and will love this rug for a long time  Cheesy

Oh also, at first I had though to do an ombre effect with the fabrics as I went and I am so so so so glad I didn't. While it would have been stunning if I could have pulled it off, it would have required so much specific colors of fabric in specific order that would have been way more effort than I would have cared to put in (beyond the effort I was already expending). Not to mention I love the bright rainbow colorful scrappy look of it. It's definitely my style  Grin

Here it is in its new home, on the tile.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015 05:29:55 PM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsycandice

Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015 05:56:10 PM »

I was wondering what you were up to. Wink That rug is magnificient! I am completely impressed by the time you put in and how big you got it. Now, to make matching coasters... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Crafster Best of 2014 Winner!

STS Shop Winter 2016
50 in 2014
50 in 2015
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015 06:09:27 PM »

tremendous effort, but a wonderful result!

You really did stick to it...I make small fabric coil bowls and hate myself after 15 minutes...can't imagine doing a large rug!

Another benefit--you get to see your fabric scraps...I am sure they bring pleasant memories of things you have made for yourself and for others!

Such a nice story, too...way to go, sheepblue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
yoopidou
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015 12:38:40 AM »

Beautiful unique rug.
You sure are tenacious and patient. It was well worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015 04:24:00 AM »

Now, to make matching coasters... Smiley

No more coiling!! Not for a while anyway.  Cheesy

Another benefit--you get to see your fabric scraps...I am sure they bring pleasant memories of things you have made for yourself and for others!

Thanks always! I definitely love seeing some of my favorite fabrics immortalized. This project is also great for using up not-so-great fabrics that have good colors but the patterns are weird or funky.

Beautiful unique rug.
You sure are tenacious and patient. It was well worth it.

Thank you  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015 05:09:26 AM »

Beautiful rug! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
thisbirdsabsurd
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015 05:23:26 AM »

I love the multi colored look and I'm amazed you got it even THAT big!  I'm wondering if it would have gone faster if you wrapped as you went along (like the fabric baskets) or if you felt like wrapping first made the process more efficient.  It's so cute - now don't let anyone stand on it!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015 06:13:39 AM »

Love, love love!!!!!

Happy housewarming to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HPC - Ostara

Come to the 2019 CRAFTSTER MEETUP in Asheville, NC!  April 26-28!!!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015 07:41:29 AM »

Color me both impressed and jealous. Your rug turned out so beautifully! Kudos to you for wrestling it around on your sewing machine as it got larger and larger!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015 09:44:03 AM »

Thanks everyone for all the lovely comments  Kiss

I'm wondering if it would have gone faster if you wrapped as you went along (like the fabric baskets) or if you felt like wrapping first made the process more efficient. 

I don't think so. I did a lot of wrapping, and then intermittently did the sewing bit. I think I would have been a lot slower if I was wrapping as I went. I think I got it down to being able to wrap 100 feet of rope in less than a day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...