A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Quartet of ATCs  (Read 3481 times)
Tags for this thread: atc , puzzle , woman , cork , horse , demon , monster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Patraw

Spit happens.

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2015 08:07:52 AM »

I fake-joined the "Ongoing ATC Swap - July 2015" and made a quartet of cards for my super-lame partner.

I think ATCs that are "more" than just a card are cool, so, while brainstorming ideas, I came up with making one that's also a jigsaw puzzle. To the surprise of absolutely no one, I went for the obvious pun and titled this piece "Women are Puzzling".

This is what the front and back of the card looked like prior to gluing the two halves together and cutting the puzzle pieces apart. I drew her entirely with No. 2 pencil, using a photograph of a real woman, from a Wig Company catalog (and, no, I don't wear wigs--said catalog is strictly for educational purposes), as a still-life model (the striped background was my addition). I feel that I made her hand too big, but, otherwise, the illustration turned out okay. I had originally planned to do her in full color, however, once I had the woman roughed-out in pencil, she looked good to me in black & white, so, I decided to leave her that way and finished her off in gray scale.

Here's the finished card, both assembled and unassembled. The pieces got a bit warped from the cutting process (I had to bend the cardboard a bit to get the blades of my scissors around the projecting "knobs"), so the edges of some of them stick up a little, and the fit isn't quite as tight as I'd like, but, for my first attempt at making a jigsaw puzzle from scratch, it's decent enough I suppose. While a twelve-piece (3 x 4) project isn't very difficult to put together, I'm glad that I didn't ratchet it up one more notch and try to make it a twenty-piece (4 x 5) puzzle, as cutting this thing apart wasn't easy and upping the number of parts would have only made things more difficult. Likewise, making it 2-ply cardboard would probably have helped the pieces stay together better, but that also would have been tougher to cut.

Materials:
White paper, white glue, brown paper from a grocery bag, cardboard from a potato chip box, No. 2 graphite pencil, and ink.

Dimensions:
6.4 cm (2.5) wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") high.

Time:
A couple of hours-or-so on July 21st, 2015.

My next idea for an ATC was one that I'd been wanting to do for quite some time: a "carded" action figure!

At first, I had my heart set on making the Craftster Cork Guy, but then I noticed the little Cork Horse up at the top of the main page and I cursed myself for my foolishness. What sane person would ever want an action figure of a man when they could have an awesome equine toy instead, am I right? Rainbow Dash only had to kick me in the head five times to convince me of the wisdom of the previous sentence, but, once the world swam back into focus again, I could finally see that my entire life up until that point had been a complete and utter waste, and that her "All ponies, all the time" mantra was the one true path to everlasting happiness and enlightenment.

The cork horse is made out of neither cork nor toothpicks, because that would be truth in advertising, and a slipshod operation like the one that I run can't be held to such high standards. Instead it's constructed out of newsprint, white glue, and bendable wire. As the figure is nothing but a bunch of hollow cylinders, it was relatively quick and easy to fabricate.

Here's the painted Cork Horse action figure, the plastic bubble (made from a toy package, appropriately enough) that will soon encase it forever, and the partially completed cardback illustration/text.

I kind of forgot that white glue has a tendency to smear the pigment from markers when I use it at as a sealant. Okay, that's a lie: I didn't forget at all and I mentally warned myself not to do it right before I did it. It was getting late and I just didn't care anymore (that irritating voice in my head is wrong just as often as it's right, so I don't pay it much attention anyway).

This is what the finished, carded figure looks like. And I'm never letting the Cork House out again either, mwahahaha! (I took the other photos just prior to sealing the animal inside.)

Materials:
White paper, cardboard from a cereal box, wire twist ties, ink, white glue, hot glue, transparent plastic from a toy package, marker, colored pencil, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
6.4 cm (2.5") wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") high x 1.6 cm (0.6") deep.

Time:
Two days: July 25th & 26th, 2015. I completed the horse and cardback art on the 25th and did the final assembly work the following morning.

This one is "Nebiros" (more typically spelled "Naberius"), one of the many demons catalogued in the Lesser Key of Solomon.  This particular interpretation is from Atlus' Persona series of video games.  I really messed this one up with the white glue top coat--the markers bled like crazy, especially the red.  Yes, I'm a very slow learner.  I was going to take a photo of the card before I screwed it up, and I wish I had done so.

Materials:
White paper, cardboard from a cereal box, white glue, ink, marker, colored pencil, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
6.4 cm (2.5") wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") high.

Time:
One day: July 26th, 2015.

And, finally, I call this piece "The Sleeping Whompus Isn't Sleeping".  It's a collage, made from cutouts from a magazine (various photos of cooked meats and monster bits).  Not a very complex card, and it was simple to make, but I like it.

Materials:
Clippings from a Woman's Day magazine, cardboard from a cereal box, and white glue.

Dimensions:
6.4 cm (2.5") wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") high.

Time:
This morning: July 27th, 2015.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015 08:29:39 AM »

Your little 'cork' horse is wonderful.  I am also very impressed by your 'Sleeping Whompus' that was entirely made from magazine pictures.  You have an amazing eye for the possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015 09:08:07 AM »

Genius, I says!  GENIUS!  craftster should steal your blister card cork horse idea and sell it!

The Nebiros is creepy and scary...which I love.  I think the bleeding works in this case.

The The Sleeping Whompus Isn't Sleeping is even scarier.  I had this whole little movie in my head when I saw it.  It involved Lady GaGa and her meat dress...I'll not go into details, but we will just say it made the card even grosser for me Grin

And yes...women are puzzling.  But so are guys Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People who have uncovered lifes twisted hoax find refuge in the irreverent, twisted and weird."

RuPaul in discussion With John Waters
fluffypants
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015 10:04:14 AM »

I loove the carded action figure idea. So clever, and beautifully executed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015 04:13:16 PM »

Those cards are all awesome but I am particular enamored of your craftster mini action figure! Brilliant idea and execution  Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015 04:14:42 PM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015 07:11:45 AM »

LOVE the Craftster action figure card. Amazing work as always!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Spit happens.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015 07:53:40 AM »

Thank you, everyone!

Another idea that I had, but didn't finish, was using the ATC as a gameboard for a Dungeons & Dragons style battle game.  The figures shown are just quick critters/people made out of my kneading eraser for mock-up purposes (kneading erasers are a fun, temporary sculpting medium if you've never tried it).  I didn't shoot a photo, but I did make Dryad, Unicorn Centaur, and Tritonia (mermaid) 2D stand-up figures for it (I had planned to store all of the components, including fold-up hollow dice, in an envelope on the back of the card, but I never got that far).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015 10:54:45 PM »

Wow. You come up with such original ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firepixie
ska-gypsy, my favorite colors are jingly and checkerboard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015 02:51:20 PM »

Can whompus come out to play???  Definitely my favorite.  But cork horse is a big contender as well.  Love the mad attention to detail in it.  And your quip about truth in advertising is pretty excellent too....  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

once upon a time in the land of flowers and rhyme and living was easy with eyes wide open a young girl flew all about the world shutting her eyes and smiling for no reason- Jke "the lost poet" johnson
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015 01:57:34 PM »

The photo of cork horse sitting is hilarious. I can't decide if he's done something regrettable or if he's scooting his rear on the carpet. Thanks for another great post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends
Whale what do we have here?

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...