A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,078
Currently Running With Scissors:
181 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Burow-inspired Crochet Rag Rug from Tee Shirt Yarn (spaghetti/fettucini yarn)  (Read 5464 times)
Tags for this thread: tshirt_yarn , rug , crochet , mandala  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2015 08:20:57 AM »

I recently organized Round 2 of the One Awesome Harry Potter Thing Swap, and was lucky enough to partner with the fantastic noodle-bug.  While we were chatting about our HP Love, it became apparent that we both desperately want to live in the Burrow, the home of the Weasley family.  The Weasleys are kind, loving, welcoming, and poor.  Mrs. Weasley makes handmade gifts at the holidays, and sends Harry wonderful knitted sweaters, and homemade pies.  I decided that I wanted to give noodle-bug a little bit of the Weasleys loving if threadbare home, and decided to go with a houseware item for the swap.  I settled on a beautiful crocheted rug pattern by ATERGcrochet on Etsy.  

The rug called for tee shirt/zpaghetti/fettucini yarn, which I thought would fun to work with, and work up quickly.  Both of those things turned out to be true.  What didnt work out so well though was finding the yarn easily.  While it seemed to be available at just about every craft store a year or two ago, it has since disappeared entirely from store shelves.  I did some looking around online and found very few sources in the US, but one seller on Etsy called Ganxxet had a decent selection and fair prices.  (The seller was also very helpful and great to work with.  I'd order from her again in a heartbeat.)  Sadly I still couldnt afford to order all the yarn Id need for the rug, so I ended up making some of it.  I made the navy and black yarn from tube jersey that was on sale at Joanns for 50% off.  (Following one of any number of tutorials online for making tee shirt yarn from actual tee shirts. The only difference was that I used a rotary cutter & cutting mat, rather than scissors.)  I bought 2.5 yards of black, and 1 yard of navy, for about $15.  It took most of the morning to slice it up with a rotary cutter, stretch it out, and roll it into balls.  But I was listening to an audio book, so it was a good time.  

The pink & white print yarns came from Ganxxet, and the white is actually a print that includes doodles of wings, lightning bolts, Union jacks, and words.  Here's a close up shot of the print:

After nearly completing it, I decided that while I liked the rug, I wasn't in love with it.  It needed more colors to really feel scrappy.  So I added atouch more color by making more yarn out of a teal and a violet tee shirt that I had laying around, that had been destined for Goodwill.  I really love how much brighter the rug is with the addition of the teal and violet.  You can see how it looked before from this process pic. The overall color scheme was softer before, and now it's definitely brighter.

Here's a detail shot, which shows the magenta & teal stitches:

The entire rug is supposed to be 34 rounds, and measure 4 across, but I didnt get quite that far.  By the time I was on round 17, it was clear that I was nearly out of all my yarns.  It was also becoming *quite* heavy, and I had to ship it to the UK.  So I completed the 18th round, then did 2 more rounds of single crochet to finish the edges.  When I was done it measured 38 across and weighed 5 pounds!  Here it is in its new home, noodle-bugs bay window in her flat in London.

I will say that while I am normally all for recycling/upcycling, I did prefer working with the ready made yarn, and the yarn that I made out of tube jersey, far more than I liked working with the batch I made from actual shirts.  I hated trying to hide the tee shirt seams.  Im really pleased with how it came out, but I would like to try the pattern again some day, completing all 34 rounds.  It's very thick and squishy under your feet, and has a solid weight to it that feels comforting.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015 12:56:59 PM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015 10:37:39 AM »

Turned out lovely!

I turned some t-shirts into yarn and made a very small rug...as you said, it was super heavy and it was quite a pain hiding the knots or weaving them in...I had no idea there was already made stuff!!!

Your post is so full of interesting little tidbits!

The colors you picked are wonderful and that designer is one of my favorites...thanks also for the link to the yarn person... Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2017120/125
PINTEREST
436 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015 10:48:16 AM »

I love your Burrow inspired projects Jennie  Smiley It definitely looks like its something Mrs. Weasley would whip up, and the pops of teal and magenta definitely make it more bright and beautiful. But I have to admit, my hands ache in sympathy pain for you...or maybe it's just me. I'm currently undertaking my own rug project and my hands are dying and I have so much more to go!  Cheesy

Edit: As I now think on it, I wanna issue a personal challenge to you...make a Burrow inspired sun catcher! I wanna see where your imagination takes that  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015 10:49:23 AM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015 12:16:35 PM »

Adding the extra colors was just what it needed.  Good thinking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The thing about believing that you can do anything is that you actually do things!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015 12:24:34 PM »

Thanks friends!

As for your challenge sheepBlue, I'm seriously going to have to think on that....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015 12:28:33 PM »

As for your challenge sheepBlue, I'm seriously going to have to think on that....

Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015 05:58:00 PM »

I love it (enough to venture out here into the wilds of the crochet forum... *glances nervously around, clutching knitting needles to chest*). It's just about the first thing I see as I open the bedroom door and it makes me happy every time... My cat comes home tomorrow (she's been staying with a friend while I was away) and I bet she's going to lay claim to it! Thank you Jennie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies, felt badges,or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015 06:18:11 PM »

It's HUGE and I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015 07:51:42 AM »

That teal is the perfect color to make the rug pop. What a fantastic swap haul for noodle-bug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015 10:23:04 AM »

Thank you friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kid Friendly Fruit Snacks
@Home This Weekend: Designated Cutting Boards
Tute Tuesday: Altered Journal Page

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...