A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 311,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
286 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Summer of Baby Quilts  (Read 3084 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_quilt , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2015 12:41:05 PM »

Does it seem like some things just happen in waves?  Back in 2009, I had a ton of quilts to make.  I made 5 wedding quilts & a baby quilt that summer.  This summer I suddenly had 4 more baby quilts to make.  Why do these things come in waves? 

This year, since I have a few trips I have to take for family functions, and a hopping Etsy shop to keep running, I don't really have time to drop everything and quilt for a month again.  So I simplified my plans a bit, and managed to put together 4 baby quilts in the last 10 days! 

In order to keep it simple I did strip quilts.  Each one used 1/4 yard of 5 different fabrics for the top, 1/2 yard of coordinating fabric for the binding and 1 1/4 yards of backing, for a total of 3 yards per quilt.  I cut each of the fabrics in the top into a 3.5" strip and a 5.5" strip, and alternated the narrow & fat strips.  They were each quilted with free motion quilting, with cotton machine quilting thread and used cotton & bamboo blend batting.

Sweet As Honey was the first one I completed.  I picked up the fabrics in a bundle from Niche Fabric Studio on Etsy.  She sells kits for rag quilts, but was happy to work with me to build similar kits that would work for my traditional quilting instead.  The fabrics include Bee Sweet Morning and Honey House.  It was quilted in a bright coral, to compliment the bees in the Sweet Morning print, and was backed in the Honey House print.  This one is going to a former student of mine, and his wife, who are expecting their first girl in September.

Isabelle's Garden was the second one I finished, and again came as a bundle from Niche.  The fabrics include Serenade Daylight, Stitchery in Aqua, some Kona solids in violet and aqua, and Heartbeats in Cool for the binding.  It was quilted in a off white, to match the background of the Serenade Daylight print, and was backed in the violet solid with a strip of the Heartbeats thrown in because I didn't have quite enough fabric for the entire back.  This one was just sent off to my best friend and his wife, who just had their second daughter at the end of June.

Fox & the Houndstooth was the third quilt I finished, and the only one made for a boy this summer.  The fabrics include Foxes in grey, Bowties in black, and Eyeglasses in Tan, from Robert Kauffman's Fox & the Houndstooth line.  It was quilted in light grey, to match the background of the Foxes print, and was backed in the Eyeglasses print.  To be honest, this bundle did not come as present, and was the only bundle I didn't see before ordering.  I enjoyed the shops other bundles so much, that I asked for one built around the Fox print, and trusted the shop to pick good coordinates.  I received an awful safety orange (which did NOT match the orange of the foxes), some mustache print (I'm SOOO over the mustache craze), and the red & white chevrons (another trend I'm pretty over).  I ended up moving the orange over to the Elephant quilt you'll see next, ditching the mustaches entirely, and buying the Bowties & Eyeglasses coordinates to redesign the quilt.  I was going to ditch the chevrons too, but found I didn't mind them as much once I added in the bowties & glasses, which has a cute tan & white houndstooth background.  While it was my least favorite bundle, it might be my favorite finished quilt.

Elephant Romp was the final quilt to be done, and was finished yesterday morning.  The fabrics include Elephant Romp, Kitchenette and Floralism in Fresh Grass, along with some Kona solids.  It was quilted in a bright magenta, to compliment the elephant print, and was backed in the lime green print.

Whew!  That was a busy week.  Now that I've got the sewing machine out, I think I'm going to put together a few zippered pouches and maybe a pencil case, before putting it back to bed for a while.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015 12:46:38 PM »

Those color and print combos are so wonderful! You definitely have an eye for matching fabrics together. I think my favorite is the little boy quilt to be honest....and I know mustaches are overdone but I kinda think a little strip of mustaches would have been pretty hilarious (or maybe that's just in my brain). Wonderful work as usual  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015 12:51:36 PM »

Your fabric choices really made these simple quilts very special!

I also like the boy one the best!

I am sure the recipients are going to feel that their quilt is the best! Grin

Well done...and wow for power sewing/quilting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015 03:21:27 PM »

Thanks ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015 04:04:28 PM »

I adore the fabric you chose! My favorite is the elephant romp though! So bright and cheerful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IsikkahJai
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015 09:53:19 AM »

I love each and every one! Your eye for coordinates is spot on and makes for eye candy quilts  Cheesy Gotta agree with SheepBlue though, boy quilt might be my favorite, followed by the safety orange  Grin Keep going strong pretty lady!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015 11:25:18 AM »

These are so wonderful. If I can find a baby or a grandchild or something, will you make it a quilt? Please and thank you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015 11:34:46 AM »

These are so wonderful. If I can find a baby or a grandchild or something, will you make it a quilt? Please and thank you. Smiley

I'm sure we could work out a crafty trade darling.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015 10:49:04 AM »

Whhhat?  I would take me years to complete this many.  You're amazing and these are just beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015 12:04:28 PM »

Thanks sweets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...