A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
198 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cruella DeVille!  (Read 1261 times)
Tags for this thread: cruella_deville  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
fatewineroses
« on: July 13, 2015 03:49:33 PM »

For the Darker Side of Disney swap I had a lot of great options that would possibly make my partner happy. I fiddled around with one idea for a long while; but decided I couldn't make it happen like I envisioned. So then came Cruella!

I had the idea to embroider her so I could frame her. A plain ole' hoopla wouldn't do for Ms. DeVille though! I had swoops and swirls in my head. I looked online for days and finally made it into a store to see what I could come up with. I pictured a red frame. I found the below frame in grey. The grey would not do; but the shape worked! So I bought some paint. I found a red paint that matched the inside of her coat. I painted the frame three times, then topped it off with a glitter paint tinted with apple red. Perfect! Not gaudy, but definitely glittery!

At this point I hadn't even begun to embroider! I found a pose I liked. I wanted to make sure she was laughing. I wanted her arms up in victory! Those are her best poses! As I prepped to embroider though, I've been staring at that frame for over a day now. It dawned on me that I should embroider her on black...in WHITE!!!! The RED! The WHITE! The BLACK! FANTASTIC!!! I went out to grab some black fabric. I started to embroider. I'm thinking, I'm thinking...I'm staring at this as I am embroidering....and I realized that her hair needed to be HALF RED! Then I realized that everything black needed to be red! BRILLIANT!!!

The more I stitched her, the more I loved her. Except her face. Don't get me wrong. She's beautiful! My stitches were not doing her justice. I almost left her face blank; but my boyfriend talked me out of it.

Best part? My partner liked her!  Grin

You'll have to excuse my pictures. Despite them being correct prior to uploading, the photo system here on the forum twitched them sideways. Can't figure out how to fix it.

Before she went into her frame.

The glitter is not in your face. It's subtle!

Close up so you can see her glitter!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015 06:02:16 AM »

I love this!

It is done so nicely with just the perfect touch of red.

I am sure your partner loved it, but I am sure I would not have been able to give it away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015 08:33:05 AM »

Beautifully done!  The red and white contrast nicely with each other, as well as the black background, and the red frame gives the whole affair a touch of elegance.  Cruella herself would approve!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015 08:45:07 AM »

Love the red frame with the black background and white stitching. You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...