A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
195 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A tale so gripping, the words leap right off the page and grab you!  (Read 5106 times)
Tags for this thread: descrypha , book , tome , demon , grimoire , monster , creature , rpg , shadow_tower , playstation , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2015 11:07:05 AM »

I "fake-joined" the Seriously 3D ATC Swap.  The object of the swap was to make a 3-Dimensional Artist Trading Card (ATC), which are typically more 2-Dimensional/flat in nature. Indecisive as usual, it took me a long time to settle on what I wanted to create, but I ultimately elected to go with Descrypha, a demonic tome that appeared in the "Lingering Curse" layer of "Death World" in From Software's 1998/1999 Shadow Tower Sony Playstation 1 video game. I reasoned that the rectangular shape of an opened book is just about the right size for an ATC's standard 2.5" x 3.5" (6.4 cm x 8.9 cm) dimensions, and it was.

Taking aim at a Descrypha with bow and arrow. If the librarian asks, you didn't see anything!

Descrypha entry from the in-game Creature Book.
Note that there's a typo: its' height should read 2' 11" (0.89 meters), not 2" 11' (3.4 meters).
That'd be one gigantic volume!

I began this project by making the ATC's base (the book's front/back covers), which consists of three sheets of cardboard, from a cereal box, glued together into a layered sandwich.

Next, I designed, cut-out, folded-up, and glued-together the geometric shapes of the book's open pages, using 4-ply newsprint/notebook paper. I intentionally shot this photo with one stack fully assembled, and the other still open and flat, so that you could get a better sense of how this was done. Initially, I had intended to leave these hollow, but, later, I slit the bottom vertexes open and stuffed them with tissue paper (like pillows!) to help support the weight of the arm and to prevent them from getting crushed during handling.

With the core elements of the book roughed out, I turned my attention to the arm. I took measurements from my own limb and then scaled them down to the size I needed. The demonic appendage is made completely out of papier-mâché (glue-covered strips of newsprint wrapped around a cardboard "skeleton" and bunched-up tissue paper "muscles"). I began with the fingers and worked my way backwards to the shoulder, leaving a small tab free at that end to insert into the middle of the pages of the book. The game model only appears to have four digits on its' hand, but, that was likely done to keep the monster's polygon count down (remember that we're talking Playstation 1 here). I felt that five fingers would look better, so that's what I did.

At this stage, I also embellished the covers and spine of the book a bit by gluing on various 2-4 ply paper cut-outs. Those details are completely made-up on my part, because, in the game, the creatures float high in the air, near the ceiling of a shadowy, vaulted room, and rain magical destruction down upon your head if you draw too close, so, it's kind of tricky to get a good screenshot of a Descrypha's covers in the wild (the Creature Book entry, posted above, is really the best view you ever get). I briefly contemplated making things even fancier than I did, but reasoned that the viewer's attention is going to be drawn to the interior of the book, not the back, so, I kept the covers relatively simple.

This is what all of the individual pieces looked like together, mock-assembled, just prior to painting.

Finally, here's the finished product. I didn't take any photos during the process, but I wrote/drew the page's text/art by hand, on seperate paper, antiqued them a bit (I even accidentally ripped the left page in half while I was erasing some pencil marks, which actually adds to the effect in my opinion, rather than being disastrous like it normally would), and then découpaged them onto the book's coordinating 3-Dimensional surfaces. If you're wondering, the words are just gobbledygook, they don't say anything (although I did print my name, and the edition size, 1-of-1, underneath the illustration on the right page). So, sorry, if you were hoping for step-by-step instructions for summoning a demon, I'm afraid that I'll have to disappoint you.

On a final note, here's Descrypha pictured with all of the ATCs that I've received from other Craftster members to date. Alas, Descrypha doesn't play well with others and needs constant supervision--I already caught the fiend trying to trick the always-too-trusting Strawberry Shortcake into signing away her soul.

Materials:
Cardboard (from a cereal box), newsprint, lined/white paper (from notebooks and junk mail), tissue paper, white glue, acrylic paint, ink, and graphite/colored pencil.

Dimensions:
8.9 cm (3.5") wide x 8.2 cm (3.2") high x 9.5 cm (3.7") deep.
And, of course, the book base has the standard measurements for an ATC: 8.9 cm (3.5") long x 6.4 cm (2.5") tall.

Time:
One evening/night on June 14st, 2015. I managed to finish it just before the stroke of midnight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015 11:08:28 AM »

Now that is creepy cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015 11:25:35 AM »

Patraw, you are a crafting genius! That arm is unbelievable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

[email protected]
http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
211/175 in 2019
153/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015 12:12:56 PM »

Terrific sculpting, the pose of the hand is wonderful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015 06:32:29 PM »

Ooooo!!! So creepy cool!! The position of the fingers - expertly done and chill-inducing Smiley. As always, love seeing your process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015 07:23:22 PM »

You rock as always, Patraw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan
I work for Cats.

I am the DandiGirl, koo koo ka choo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015 10:17:51 AM »

Oh my gosh, thanks for joining our swap and letting us see what you made!!  It is wonderful!!  I am nearly done with my gonna-send 3D ATC and hope to heck it measures up to what you have created here.  Awesome card, awesome job!!  And thanks so much for showing all the processes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015 11:27:25 AM »

You crack me up!  And this is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The thing about believing that you can do anything is that you actually do things!
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015 02:43:31 PM »

Sheesh!!  Dude, you can always be relied upon to come up with something mind- blowingly creepy and awesome.  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015 07:36:30 PM »

so deliciously creepy...  that hand is going to give me nightmares!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gozer
If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015 05:35:23 AM »

That looks amazing and you make it seem so simple to do. Tongue LOL! Obviously you have a lot of talent. Love seeing the stuff you make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015 08:37:57 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye, Craftster. Thanks for the memories.

You're always welcome to visit my blog.
Nodsu
“Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon”

Nodsu = Piglet from Pooh

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015 05:51:51 PM »

That's so wonderfully creepy!
Love the pose and how amazing these little fingers are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

https://www.instagram.com/nodsukas/
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Riechan

Flowers in full bloom do not last forever!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015 05:27:51 AM »

omg, this is so creepy! Cheesy How cool! Thanks for the little tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Facebook and Etsyshop
IG
Zero waste in progress
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...