A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,888
Currently Running With Scissors:
314 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adult "Play" night at a friend's art studio  (Read 2333 times)
Tags for this thread: art , mixed_media , play , create , inspiration , fun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2015 05:56:27 AM »

Do you find making art "play"?

A friend of mine recently realized her dream of her own art studio, well almost her own, she has a co-artist sharing the space. But she also shares the space for anyone who will drop in and play. Bring your own project, or use the paints, pencils, pastels, markers, paper, scraps of paper, etc. to create.

To me art is play, the best kind of play: Creative, inspired, fun, liberating and awesome. Play should refresh you, relax you and open you up to the world. Yes, this is play.

I came rather unprepared after a long day at work to one of her impromptu studio evenings. A piece of heavy paper, glue, water and scraps of painted paper and i was on my way to the first layer of a collage/mixed media piece. What fun to have different papers to work with and no project in mind.

The finished work is now dry and laying there looking pretty wonderful. And I am planing the next step.

So I'd love to hear your thoughts on art and play and wonder and all that good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015 03:37:12 PM »

That sounds like so much time - my dream if I win the lottery is to run away from the city, buy a large piece of rural property and turn it into a hobby farm/kennel (miniature goats, cows, and lots of rescue dogs), and craft co-op.

What I love is to share the time with like-minded individuals.  That is why I sometimes take workshops - the shared creativity is very invigorating, and inspiring, and also we share different resources and I always come away not only learning new techniques, but finding new places, and resources.

There is an open studio near me too, but I have yet to stop by there because their open studio times are when I work Sad
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015 03:38:45 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3
Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015 05:35:51 PM »

This is the collage I started at the studio night. Lots of fun bits o' paper went into this, among laughter, talk, silliness and general good fun. Can't say clean, 'cause my fingers were pretty gluey at the end and some had paint and some had pastels and so on.

Thinking about the next layer.....got some ideas brewing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rscowtown

Lemme know how I can pray for you!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015 06:05:58 PM »

oooooh thats sweet! looking forward to seeing what you do with it next Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God's blessings, Laurel in Wisconsin
http://pinterest.com/rscowtown

PRIVATE SWAPS: prayer flags, mug rugs, other stuff, PM me please!

Hostess of OWS since August 2014 Smiley
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015 04:52:28 AM »

I love the colours in all that! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3
Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015 11:10:12 AM »

I know...she had this box of scraps and a pile of painted papers from a workshop she had done years ago. What treasure! And they were not my bits and pieces, but some colors and textures I don't normally have. Yeah. Fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JulesMadden
Jules Madden

Artist/ crafter/ maker/ mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017 01:43:39 AM »

That is such a great idea and I've never heard of something like that before where I live! Set times and places yes, but not open invites to come and art "play".

I love that and I love how she calls it play too.

You can see the fun through your collage Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addicted to living the creative life! Visit me on my creative blog http://julesmadden.blogspot.com.au
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017 07:58:13 AM »

cmarion3 that reminds me of the "masterboard" project, I love it. I wish I had friends to craft with but every creative person I know is always busy with their own children and work. I know, I get that way too. Life is full. But I do love a crafternoon with friends. The last few years those have happened with my children and sometimes their friends and it's fun enough. We made sock monkeys, pin cushions, and needle books, fairly advanced stuff for their ages. I would love to art play with my own friends though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...