A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
247 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Somerset Star pot holders or hot mats  (Read 23821 times)
Tags for this thread: somerset_star , potholder , tutorial , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2015 11:34:46 AM »

At one of our monthly Needlecraft guild meetings a few months ago we had a tutorial on these Somerset stars.  Our committee members had put together kits of ready cut pieces in lovely fabrics. The kits were $3 each for guild funds and were very popular. Lots of people wanted more than one kit.  I ended up making 3 of them.  

It is a very simple pattern and can mostly be done by hand. The only word of warning I have is to be wary of using thicker fabrics particularly on the pieces that will be around the edge.  My dark blue with the pink bias edge had thick chintz pieces for the outer edge and although they were a very pretty pattern they were murder to sew through all the thicknesses. And I had to stretch the bias tape; as you can see it does not look very neat at all.

This is a great way to use up scraps of leftover fabric from other projects.

Method
(The pictures jump around between the three stars as I didn't always remember to take in-progress photos for every stage.)
Two Circles: Cut one large 19 cm or 7 inch diameter circle in any plain fabric such as calico, to be the foundation.  Cut another large circle in pretty fabric to be the back of the Somerset Star.
Optional : Cut one small circle (9 cm or 3 inches diameter) in pretty fabric. This will go in the middle on top of the foundation circle and underneath the central four points to show through any gaps between the central points.
Oblongs (20 altogether):
small  10.5 by 6 cm (4 ⅛ by 2 ⅜ inches)
medium    11.5 by 8.25 cm ( 4 by 3 inches)
large  13 by 10 cm (4 by 5 inches)
In three contrasting fabrics:
Cut four of the smallest oblong and 8 each of the two larger oblongs.  Using different fabrics emphasises the star especially if you choose alternating dark and light or patterned and plain fabric.
Sewing
Tack or pin the small circle to the centre of the foundation circle.

Fold each  rectangle in half lengthways and then fold to a point in the middle.  I tacked mine down but you could probably get away with just ironing them flat.

The small circle is pinned to the centre of one of the large circles and then the four smallest points are placed in the middle with the tips  meeting in the centre. Catch each tip down in the centre with one or two tiny stitches.  Catch the pieces down again at the centre fold of each point and where the edge of each point touches another.
The picture shows the centre points stitched in place with the second layer being pinned into position.

Pin the medium points with their tips about 1.5 cm ( inch) out from the tips of the centre points. The tips lie along the folds or between the edges of the centre points and can either overlap clockwise/anti-clockwise or in an alternating pattern. These are caught down with tiny stitches at the tips, folds and edges.

The last layer of the large points is again placed 1.5 cm out from the tips of the medium points and caught down as before.

The square edges of the large points will stick out beyond the edge of the circle.

This picture shows the back of the work after all the points are stitched down and before the overhanging edges have been trimmed off.

Tack or pin the backing circle to the back of the foundation circle and trim off the overhanging edges of the last layer of points.

Machine stitch bias tape around the edge on the front and finish off with small hemming stiches on the back.

I attach a pdf of the templates.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015 12:25:44 AM by elderflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015 07:44:51 AM »

Wow! Amazing. Thanks so much for sharing your process and template!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015 09:24:24 AM »

Thank you. You are most welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedheadWithThread

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015 09:48:33 AM »

Beautiful! Those colors look so lovely in that pattern! Shocked
Thanks for sharing your process and the templates! When I get my sewing machine back, I may have to try making some of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015 11:26:31 PM »

Thank you. You are welcome. Most of it is done by hand.  It is only the bias edging that needs machining. In fact the one with the blue edging was done entirely by hand because I had two days without electricity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015 05:47:55 AM »

So pretty - thank you for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015 09:59:46 AM »

beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015 01:34:12 AM »

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blupaisan

I work for Cats.

I am the DandiGirl, koo koo ka choo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015 10:43:28 AM »

My favorite posts are those that have in-progress pics. thanks so much for this!  They came out beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015 01:03:34 PM »

Thank you so much. I think explaining how you make something is in the spirit of craftster.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015 01:05:18 PM by elderflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: The Un-Meatball
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...