A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
301 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to keep a Clutter Free Home...ha, ha  (Read 2031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
stillatthetop
« on: May 23, 2015 12:39:51 AM »

I have adopted a new plan that seems to be working (mostly) for me. I thought I might share. I didn't create this idea. More like modified it from things I have read over the years.

Every day I am trying to do this:

First is spend 10 minutes per room each day doing something that puts things away, makes a better space for things. I multi task and use speaker phone while on hold, etc. to buy myself this time when possible. I keep common cleaning supplies at the ready (windex, 409, rags, paper towels).

Second is when I am working on a craft or home repair project and complete a section of it, I put everything away. This blends into my first above, because I often incorporate a more convenient way of organizing things since I already have the mess out. I have stayed firm with this rule, so stuff does not pile up out of control. And I wipe the shelf while it is empty.

Third, if I come upon a larger scale organization project, then I allow myself to skip a room or two of the "10 minute rule" for that day. My bathrooms seem easiest to ignore for a day, so that can buy me 20 minutes of additional time where I need it.

The idea is to only spend 1 hour total each day to tidy up. In 10 minute chunks, I don't seem to miss the time. While dinner cooks, I can sneak a 10 minute between stirs, etc.

I wish I could afford IKEA, and all the other fancy organize stuff I see people using here and throughout the world. I use old shoe boxes that I cover and label, jars I have decorated to hold stuff...odd baskets that don't match.  Cheesy but they are functional. And slow but sure, things are finding a valid home and reason to be there. And I am putting those things that I use most often in easier to get to spots. It was driving me crazy to unstack and move things out, only to have to stack them all back.

Just some ideas. When I see the remodel and reorganize shares on here (And I also have been watching YouTube 'How Clean Is Your House' clips. Those are hilarious!) I sigh and hope that someday I will live in such a great castle  Wink Perhaps I have inspired a fellow crafter to also make a 'baby steps toward greatness' goal, like me. It seems to be working so far.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015 01:27:46 PM »

Great tips!  I've been trying to spend more time cleaning and tidying, because I find myself less stressed in a cleaner house.  In fact, I got so inspired I'm renovating our house and plan to clean each room until it is cleaner-than-new - our unfinished house was kind of grubby when we moved in, and has stayed that way.  Tongue 

I'm very not good at putting craft supplies away after use.  That is one of my worst faults.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015 12:29:05 AM »

Har, har, har. I started this post back in May. I have since emptied out my extra bedroom in the house to rent it out, and created a big old mess for myself. I was trying not to use that room for storage in case my daughter would need it again. But you know how that goes. Plus I emptied out the back bathroom for my new tenants to have a private room for that also. It is amazing how many bottles and tubes of stuff you can collect in the tiniest room of the house. WHERE TO PUT IT ALL?Huh

Har, har, har. My front bathroom only has the tiniest of closet and cabinet. I have organized most things into boxes and baskets to make them easy to pull out when I would need them, and even labeled each with little tags. My favorite tag is "B.O". I also have bins for "face", "hair", "nails", etc. And have cut kitty litter boxes (love them! they are very sturdy boxes!) to help corral things and prop things up in the closet shelf for easy collection and reach.

But dang it, there is still too much stuff! It is a slow going process. For the rest of the items, and more throughout the house, I am planning a fall yard sale. When will I ever need electric hair curlers again? But, I collected several sets of those over the years.

I am stressed in a messy house, too. My office here looks like a tidal wave hit it. i recently decided to organize my paper scraps and other tidbits of things like that. unfortunately I lost steam and time on that project, but it is nearly done.

I am glad that I inspired you to take the plunge. Perhaps your new burst of energy will inspire ME to get my butt in gear again for that part of things. Thank you.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015 02:25:32 AM »

I have designated a (small) space as random things. If I can't be bothered to put stuff away or can't think of where it should go, it goes in random things until it is too full to put what I want in there, then I have to go through it all and put it away properly.

Of course I can leave stuff in random things if I still can't think where to put it away, but that means I'll have to tidy it through again sooner.

Because it's a small space it doesn't take me more than 15 minutes to sort out when it has to be done. Working more or less for me for the last 8 months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015 12:29:29 PM »

I love your random things idea!!! Sort of a clutter corral. Then if you can't find something, just check there  Grin For stuff that you might not have found time to put away at the moment. Great idea.

I am getting good at putting things back as I use them, but sometimes I put them back too soon, and have to get them out again. No worries. I have made spaces to put stuff back easier. I need a few new shelves installed, though. So that I am not having to stack things. That seemed to make things harder.

And just to clarify...the litter boxes I mentioned are not litter pans. These are the boxes that you purchase litter in. If you have friends with cats, they might save them for you. I use them for magazine storage racks, too. Just cut them like Ikea plastic magazine bins. They work great!

When I get more of this "storage clutter" and my yard sale junk packaged up for that, I will look for a good (small) space for my new "random clutter garage".

Can we agree that I am an ORGANIZED HORDER? Yes, we can. I hate to see stuff in the landfill that I (or someone else) could use later.

Happy Sorting  Wink

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...