A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
182 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cirque du Soleil Party  (Read 6023 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_108_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
KittensMcTavish

Stripey Sidekick

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2015 09:20:37 PM »

What do you do when a big fan of Cirque du Soleil has a birthday? Throw her a fabulous themed party, of course!

I've never been to Cirque du Soleil, but it's really high on my bucket list. I love acrobats and jugglers and feats of strength and grace, especially when performed by people clad in beautiful costumes and fabulous makeup!

I studied photos and videos of Cirque performers to get ideas for party decorations and decided to start with a banner. (Every party needs a banner!) I drew the faces, watercolored them and added details with a black gel pen. The pennants are made of cardstock with glittery borders and tied together with embroidery floss.

The centerpiece is made from a thrift-store Barbie doll (actually, she was Mulan, so she had quite a beautiful face). I gave her a haircut, painted on her makeup and "leotard" and made costume accessories from lace and air-dry clay. Pssst: don't tell, but that cool ice sculpture she is standing on is actually an acrylic sink faucet! My husband recently replaced the old faucets in our bathroom, and I realized one of the old handles would be the perfect platform for my acrobat. She is held to the inside rim of the handle with epoxy clay; the handle was then glued into a glass and silver sundae dish for some added height.

I just love cupcakes at a party; they're so much easier than cutting a cake and there are no messy plates to clean up afterwards. I had some vintage ballerina cupcake toppers in my stash, so I repainted three of them to look like Cirque performers and made them little flags from wire and cardstock. (They had to be gently - and then firmly - convinced to hold the flags!) They are about 1-1/2" tall.

Here's a close-up of one of the ballerinas. Those tiny faces were a challenge to paint! I had to wear glasses on top of glasses on top of a magnifying glass! (But they were really fun.)

More treats at the party: jars of candy! I printed out the pretty Cirque du Soleil logo for each jar; the largest one was printed on a transparency so you can see the yummy candy through the jar. The pinwheels are made of scrapbook paper, buttons, embroidery floss and painted balsa wood sticks.

Serendipitously, I had just bought the flowers at a thrift store last week and they happened to match my color scheme, so I scattered them around to add more pops of color. In the next photo, you can see I added the birthday girl's present, wrapped in paper I made on a Gelli plate and topped with a silk flower. (Shhh - don't tell her - it's a bottle of cologne!)

I'm so glad the deadline was extended for this; I literally ran out of time to get everything done last week due to "life getting in the way" (we all know how that goes!), so I really appreciate getting a second chance to enter!  Smiley

Lisa
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015 05:16:04 AM by KittensMcTavish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We live on this speck called Earth - think about what you might do, today or tomorrow - and make the most of it."

Neil deGrasse Tyson
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015 06:13:09 AM »

This is amazing!  Fabulous work, and I'm sure your friend loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The thing about believing that you can do anything is that you actually do things!
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015 07:37:36 AM »

Beautifully done! You did a great job of Cirque'alizing that Barbie doll!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShaunShineStudios
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015 10:36:08 PM »

Lisa, this is beautiful! I love cirque! How clever of you to paint Mulan as the perfect acrobat! Lovely work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
photojenn
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015 04:51:07 AM »

Well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KittensMcTavish

Stripey Sidekick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015 09:25:45 PM »

Thanks so much for your kind comments, everyone; I really enjoyed putting this together and just love seeing how others interpreted this challenge!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We live on this speck called Earth - think about what you might do, today or tomorrow - and make the most of it."

Neil deGrasse Tyson
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015 06:18:18 PM »

So clever and creative! Such a memorable party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 84
sweets4ever
The Final Craftster Admin
Thank you for everything.

Join us on LettuceCraft.com!

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015 09:24:13 PM »

Thanks for entering!! Smiley  It's time to vote!  Feel free to share with family and friends to vote for you, too! Smiley

Voting here https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=438797.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our future home is Lettuce Craft!
Just... Let.Us.Craft.

Launching soon: http://lettucecraft.com/
Crafts Chats Swaps
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015 08:01:38 AM »

The details that you put into this party are just top-notch!

I can't believe how nice the cupcake toppers turned out!  The whole display just turned out lovely...I know the party was a success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015 05:43:03 AM »

wow that is all so beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...