A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,479
Currently Running With Scissors:
195 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday, 8 May 2015  (Read 2073 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , yarn , handspun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
calluna
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 08, 2015 02:48:06 PM »

We're due for a Fiber Friday! Here's something I finally finished...Actually I finished it a couple months ago but was too busy with other stuff to post it...

It's 106 yds, a thick-and-thin plied with an all-thin  Cheesy, then I wound some black-and-gold metallic thread around sections that needed more definition. I still have a lot of this Ferndale Fiber roving left, and I'm going to leave all of that thin and single-ply, and this skein can be worked in for an accent row on whatever the finished object becomes.

Please share any pics you have from the last month, there hasn't been a Fiber Friday in quite some time!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015 02:49:52 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015 03:27:08 PM »

We are most certain due for a fibre friday!! Gorgeous work, Calluna!

Here's my biggest project finished up! This is the yarn for my final project for level 4 of the Master spinners program. I've washed, flicked, blended, carded and spun up the most gorgeous Est D'laine Merino. The brown/fawn coloured is the natural color, and the darkest in the portion of the fleece I bought.  I blended it with silk noils.  The purple is percentage dyed to achieve the color gradation. And the purple is achieved using 25% red, and 75% blue Jacquard acid dyes. So far, this project has taken nearly 50 hours, so I'm so hoping I can fill the last 25 hours with knitting and blocking.... >.<

Otherwise, this pile of tiny skeins have been taking up a fair share of my time too... And that's not all of them!

And that's truly not all, I have a few more skien done, but I haven't taken any pictures or anything, and I'm running out of time to post today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
 website with links to everything!
facebook
calluna

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015 07:13:24 PM »

Wow, I saw that first picture before reading and my honest immediate thought was, "Did she just post a picture of some regular yarn from the store??" That is some unbelievable work. I bow to the Master!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015 08:52:54 PM »

Ha!  Thanks! it's taken a lot of practice to get to this point where it looks machine spun (from a far... there are quite a few "imperfections" if you look at it yard by yard.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015 08:56:08 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
facebook
jexxican
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015 07:53:54 PM »

I have something to share! But I haven't photographed it yet. Maybe next time.

Calluna, thank you for putting up a FF thread. These threads are the best! Your idea for using this yarn as an accent on a project made of thin similar yarn is great. Don't forget to share that, both the yarn and the FO, I'm already excited!

Belladune, you constantly amaze me. Seems like your MS program is having an effect, eh? The gradient is astounding. I will never reach that level of dyeing, let alone spinning! The miscellaneous tiny skeins are great too. More homework or just playing? Or both?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015 11:01:10 PM »

Those little skeins are all homework >.< I'm working on cataloging and measuring and all that right now, so I can hand my book in and get it back at fibre week in June.  I'm wishing I could find more time to spin the fun yarns, that won't get marked LOL 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

facebook
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick Wall Art
Tute Tuesday: Heirloom Cowgirl Pillow
Long and Low

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...