A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,883
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Russian Bread Bag (a.k.a. Lunch Bag)  (Read 3027 times)
Tags for this thread: lunchbag , reverse_engineering , bias_tape , denim , hdpatch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2015 12:10:36 AM »

My husband and I were in Vancouver BC. Nice trip.

While wandering around, we came across a store named "Camouflage".
It was an individualists' store, with a great variety of items; clothes, bumper stickers, knives, hats, bags, and helmets. Upstairs, there was an Army Surplus area. And, not just Canadian army, various armies from around the globe.

A neat bag caught my eye,

I showed my husband, he thought it neat, we left the store. I thought not much more of it, but it caught my husbands attention. While our daughter and I went to a bookstore, he went back and bought it.

Once we returned home, I took the measuring tape to it, and came up with these notes,

Using the notes, I made a pattern for it. Then, using a bit of common sense, and some Denim, I made the bag, itself.

And, the interior,

I admit to a few errors, though.
1. When putting in the divider, I marked both the front and back on the same side. If you're marking the wrong side of the fabric, you ought mark the left side on one pattern piece and the right side of the other, that they'll correspond with each other. Easy enough fix.
2. I didn't round the corners off. I was applying the bias tape before I realized it had rounded corners for a reason. Not just artistic view; but to make bias application easier. (In real life, you can see that my bias tape is really not very good. Undecided )
3. I ought have added Velcro before putting it together, to make the flap stay closed.
Oh well, live & learn.

What do you think, Crafsters? Turn out okay? Awful copy? Somewhere in between?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015 03:20:39 AM »

It's great, let's see, what do they call it in manufacturing when you copy something....ahh, yes: "reverse engineered". The first try is where you make all the mistakes, now you have a great pattern for future ones.

I also think your new bag is wonderful, just add a bit of decoration to catch the eye and no one will see the slight wobbles on the trim. I've had purchased items where I've found the same problems.

And I love the notes and sketches...they look just like mine. I a bag too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
thisbirdsabsurd
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015 05:40:54 AM »

Great first draft.  Not everyone can recreate something like that.  Bias tape is always a pain ( I desperately try to avoid it). Wink. Also I like to use muslin or a piece of horrible fabric I won't use for anything else when I make a new pattern.  That way you can rip out seams and make tucks or adjustments without worrying about ruining anything.
  All in all, you did great and I bet you'll be even happier with the next edition.  Wink. Looking forward to seeing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015 06:42:52 AM »

I am a big fan of reverse engineering and of denim - you get a thumbs up from me!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015 08:21:41 AM »

I have a messenger bag made of denim and it has exposed unfinished seams. Makes a nice frayed, yet controlled look.  I just remembered it and that might be a great way to make this bag. No bias tape, or maybe only on any exposed inside seams.

Now I want to make one for a friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015 09:47:19 AM »

Thank you, for the encouraging replies. And thank you, cmarion3, for a better phrase than "copying": I like that, "Reverse Engineering". Great phrase.

I have a Bias Applicator for my sewing machine: I'll have to learn how to use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015 09:31:55 PM »

Showed it to Anita, my Fabric Lady, today. She said it was really plain -- for me!

And, she offered Bias Binding advice. (Did you know, you're supposed to apply the short side first?) so, I might re-apply the binding. (Might)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015 02:48:55 PM »

Okay. So, now I've fixed it.

I re-applied the Bias Tape (correctly) and added the Velco closure, and a little patch.
I'm pleased.

There were a couple of spaces where the stitches didn't catch the other side's Bias Tape, so, I hand-stitched it.

What do you think, Craftsters and guests? Improved?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
thisbirdsabsurd
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015 04:41:40 PM »

Wow!  Looks like a whole new bag!  Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
hat-and-bag-lady

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015 11:46:12 PM »

Thank you, thisbirdsabsurd. I'm really pleased with it.

You can see in the Velcro picture that the main reason for the patch was to cover up the Velcro stitches. (Kinda silly, but it worked)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015 11:47:59 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: repair name » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...