A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,264
Currently Running With Scissors:
190 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Octopus Pajama Eater Nommed My Dog  (Read 3954 times)
Tags for this thread: octopus , plush  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

JoyfulClover
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Live long and prosper

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 17, 2015 10:30:40 AM »

My little friend likes (fairly) realistic invertebrates/aquatic life, and I like functional objects. An octopus to store her pajamas seemed perfect!

I worked the pattern out for a couple weeks in my head before sitting down to cut, crochet & sew. I made a total of 81 suckers in small & medium for the legs and hand stitched each on.  Everything else was machine stitched.

The eyes were tough, as I wanted them kind and appealing, but not cartoony.

Unfortunately, the inside fabric to store her pajamas is a pink/coral.  I'm told it is NSFW.  (Haters gonna hate, 'cuz everyone wants a place to keep their pajamas!)

As I was taking photos, my sweet puppers photobombed me. Too bad she was nommed on for her trouble!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015 02:06:15 PM »

Adorable - yes, the octopus, but even more so, the puppers!!!!  I have a love of brindled babies...

Here is my brindled princess.

As for the octopus, I love the tentacles - especially how you did the underside.  Great detail with the curls and the suckers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015 02:25:01 PM »

So fun! The curly tentacles are super cute, and the crocheted suckers really impressive! I also love that it's not just a toy, but actually has use as pajama storage. (I also like functional objects ^^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015 05:37:29 PM »

I love the fabrics and colors chosen. It makes the pajama eater look realistic, as planned. And the eyes are really super.
I don't know what NSFW means  Roll Eyes But I love the pajama idea, too. I will bet this stuffy looks great on your little friends bed.
And the doggies are cute.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015 05:45:17 PM »

Adorable - yes, the octopus, but even more so, the puppers!!!!  I have a love of brindled babies...

Here is my brindled princess.

As for the octopus, I love the tentacles - especially how you did the underside.  Great detail with the curls and the suckers.

Your brindle is BEAUTIFUL! And what a great shot - unless I am in stark sunlight, my girls' coloring hides her face better than a camo'd ninja on a moonless night!

Thank you commenting on the details as well! It was fun to share!

J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015 06:03:43 PM »

So fun! The curly tentacles are super cute, and the crocheted suckers really impressive! I also love that it's not just a toy, but actually has use as pajama storage. (I also like functional objects ^^)

I had a love/resent with the suckers, but I was happy I stuck it out - thank you! So glad to hear I am not the only one who loves form AND function.

J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015 06:19:43 PM »

I love the fabrics and colors chosen. It makes the pajama eater look realistic, as planned. And the eyes are really super.
I don't know what NSFW means  Roll Eyes But I love the pajama idea, too. I will bet this stuffy looks great on your little friends bed.
And the doggies are cute.

~T

It's so surreal and gratifying to see others comment on things I angsted over endlessly! The fabric was such a challenge! I wanted something ocean-like, but still pleasing to the eye, and without a pattern or texture that would date it terribly.

Which contradicts the next statement: 'NSFW' is short for Not Safe For Work. Basically, when she's unzipped she looks VERY VERY female. *Eyebrows lifted with pointed stare*  But it was for a 6 yo, so I still didn't give it enough thought. Silly maker..

Thank you so much!
J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015 10:26:47 AM »

I think it's fabulous.  And, your dog is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015 08:51:50 PM »

I think it's fabulous.  And, your dog is adorable.

Thank you! And YAY for another brindle puppers!

J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017 03:11:15 PM »

So fun and also so funny because I am mid-plan for 2 giant tentacled beanbags for my young ones to sit on and read in their rooms. And also to sleep with, let's be real, this will happen. Love what you did, I may have to incorporate a hidey zippy in an inappropriate colour, ha ha.

Sadly all her photos are gone but I used seamlessgem's tutorial years ago to make these octo-buddies and I have the pattern copied into my files somewhere. I may enlarge them and see if it works.
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=337744.msg3907397#msg3907397
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017 04:44:46 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...