A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
231 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting Started With Bees  (Read 7607 times)
Tags for this thread: farm , bee  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 07, 2015 12:01:56 PM »

We picked up two packages of bees and installed them into hives this morning.  The process can be quite mysterious and daunting so I thought I'd share how it's done.  Smiley  We ordered our bees in December and selected the first pick-up date (April 7th).  The bee supplier is about a 90 minute drive from here.  We arrived two hours into pick-up and they had already gone through almost a thousand packages(!)  Sorry for the huge number of photos, but I wish I'd had this step by step the first time we did this.

(These guys could have used some Craftster help with their signage...)

The packaging comes in three parts; the screened transport cage, a can of sugar water with three small holes punched in the bottom so they have food for their journey, and a little queen cage hanging inside.  Each package has about 12,000 bees inside it.

We (very carefully) drove home with them on the backseat floorboards of our car. 

Today was overcast and 65 degrees.  The perfect weather for this process.  The first thing we did when we got home was spray them with a good dose of homemade sugar water.  Simple syrup for those of you who enjoy the occasional fancy cocktail. Cheesy  This helps keep them docile during the process. 

There is a thin veneer of wood stapled to the opening, it just gets pried off with a hive tool. 

The sugar water can gets lifted out so you can reach inside and pull out that little queen cage.  As soon as it's out, we just lay the veneer back over the opening so the bees can't escape.

Here's a look at the queen cage.  She's in there with a few worker bees, that's her on the left.  The white stuff on the end is a sugary solid known as candy, and is blocked by a cork plug. 

The cork gets removed, exposing the candy to the hive bees.  It will take the hive 1-2 days to eat away the candy and release the queen and her attendants.  This gives them a little time to get used to each other.

The entire uncorked queen cage gets hung between two frames.  Now we're ready for bees!

Just gather your nerve and dump em in!

Use a soft hive brush to coax them down between the frames.

If you look really carefully, you can see they are congregated around the hanging queen cage.

The feeder box goes on top of the frames.  There is a pollen patty on one side, the other side gets a half gallon of homemade sugar water, plus everything left in the can they arrived with.  We go through about 5 pounds of sugar every week for 4-5 months out of the year. 

The lid goes on, with a rock to hold it down.  We'll remove the screened cages tomorrow.  There are always a few bees who stubbornly don't want to leave their transportation.  They'll find their way into the hive eventually.  I had every intention of repainting the hives this winter.  Oh well.

Our hives live in our front yard, about 25 feet from the pond's edge in full sun.  It's a great location for bees! 

If you're interested in learning about harvesting honey, check out my A Sweet Harvest post from a while back. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015 12:19:31 PM »

Cool photos MW!  My boss keeps bees and we were lucky enough to be invited over when he was adding bees to his hives.  He let Lana wear a beekeeper's hat/veil so that she could get up close and personal and she had a few bees crawling on her without incident. 
Fresh honey is sooo wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Difference Makers and Small Things Matter are having their annual auction on April 12 and welcome your donations. Smiley  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=457320.msg5516/
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015 12:22:45 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing this whole process with us! I love all your pictures and your story! Love it MW!  Cheesy

You rock!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedheadWithThread

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015 12:23:35 PM »

I've always wondered about how the beekeeping was started and now I know. It's really amazing how something as simple as sugar water calms them so that you can move them as you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015 12:27:30 PM »

Thanks so much!  I was worried about my photos.  It's hard to see through a beekeeping veil.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015 01:26:05 PM »

Pretty cool! Never seen the technique before for the queen and her attendants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015 01:27:27 PM »

First off, I have to admit that I thought the sign said "Beer Pickup Here" in the thumbnail. Bees are much more interesting! Thanks for sharing the process!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015 01:33:47 PM »

Bees, too?! That's it, tell Lizzie to scooch over because I'm moving in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015 01:34:38 PM »

Ooh thanks for sharing! This is really neat to learn about, I know nothing about bees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
MissingWillow
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015 01:42:35 PM »

Thanks everyone! 

Bees, too?! That's it, tell Lizzie to scooch over because I'm moving in.
Come on.  You can sleep in our pottery studio/mobile home.   Cheesy

First off, I have to admit that I thought the sign said "Beer Pickup Here" in the thumbnail. Bees are much more interesting!
Yeah, there were a bunch of young guys on the loading dock.  Not very focused on the asthetic of their sign. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Front Top

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...