A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ms Cranky Pants: An Irreverent Automaton (Ridiculous Number of Pics)  (Read 4890 times)
Tags for this thread: automaton , carnival , circus , pants  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 25, 2015 10:48:13 AM »

I made my first foray into the world of making automata for my partner in the Be AWESOME (Redux) Swap!

Step right up, ladies and gentleman! Turn your frown upside down with MS. CRANKY PANTS!

This sign on the front, leads you to a drawer on the right side:

Get it?  "Turn"

The "grins" all have a hole or tube on them somewhere that slides over the wires that come out of the waist of Ms. Cranky Pants!

She has a crank (get it?) on her left side, well on her right side, but the user's left side that moves the wires when turned.  You see, my partner is left-handed.

Here is a little video of the action: http://vid181.photobucket.com/albums/x256/TheMistressTLF/MCP-Video_zpsqytf1lpp.mp4

Ff you're not interested in all the macro shots of all the little details that made me giggle and made me send on the very last day, something I have never done for a swap, then stop now.  It's about to get detailed up in these pants!

The fly and belt buckle, an old button from my recently-"inherited" 4-generation button box.

The belt and belt loops. It just cracked me up to add all the little stitches!

Back pockets:

And the cuffs

Some details on the base:

The back:

The bottom:

The inside of the empty drawer:

And because I just can't stop posting detail shots, the other end of the crank mechanism:

And some of the "grins"

You can see the clear tube on the giraffe's belly that fits over the wires on the waist of Ms. Cranky Pants.

Some wee scissors on top of a stack of various papers... the scissors move!

I also included some of my partner's family photos that I was able to get by contacting her daughters who are also craftsters!  But I didn't want to photograph and put those on the internet w/o permission and I was running out of time to ask, so I actually didn't even get photos of them. Sad

What fun I had! It was fun to have some obvious word play in the project and then I even had some denim-patterned wrapping paper, so I wrapped it in that!  I have also personally committed to working as much from stash as I can and was able to do mostly that here.  I bought the tubing for the "grins," one of the "grins," and the boxes that make up the base and I think that's it!

A few years ago I started tracking the materials and tools I used to make projects, just for funsies. Yes, that's my kind of funsies.  But I didn't keep up with it and let it go for the most part, but this project was so all-over-the-shop that I did it again and thought I'd share:
Wood: beads and dowels; paper: scrapbook, paperboard, TP tube, paper mache, tissue; metal: wire, grommets, eyelets, vintage button; plastic beads; fabric: duck, ticking, vinyl; thread and twine; adhesives: decoupage (MS), hot glue, Quick Grip; ink: sharpie, stamp (x3); embossing powder, paint: red and silver; glaze; coffee and tea, tape: gaffer and painter; 3 kinds of scissors, 2 kinds of "knives," rubber stamps, hand drill and drill bits, punches (and hammer), metal file, leather punch, brushes: paint and adhesive; craft sticks and toothpicks; heat gun and cold air drying rack.

In conclusion, I can't help but make the joke that "This project was pants!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 70
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015 10:55:54 AM »

Wow!  Ms. Cranky Pants is awesome!!  Really enjoyed the video!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015 10:56:57 AM »

May I say now that I just *love* this?!? All the little details and all the FUN. I posted some photos of my girls and Mr. Coo dancing around on the Cranky Pants machine. You'll have to go check out the "Be Awesome" gallery if you want to see. Cheesy

So glad you got a video of the movement, T. It's so fun to watch!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're always welcome to visit my blog.

Long live Craftster!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftster/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015 11:13:16 AM »

The video is hilariously fun!!!

All of the little details are wonderful...love the button belt buckle and the little red and white ticking ruffled skirt on the base...

What is the round part of the pants made from?  It looks like the perfect size to conceal the inner working!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015 11:19:03 AM »

Thanks y'all!

May I say now that I just *love* this?!? All the little details and all the FUN. I posted some photos of my girls and Mr. Coo dancing around on the Cranky Pants machine. You'll have to go check out the "Be Awesome" gallery if you want to see. Cheesy

So glad you got a video of the movement, T. It's so fun to watch!

I am SO GLAD you like it! It was a hoot to make!

The video is hilariously fun!!!

All of the little details are wonderful...love the button belt buckle and the little red and white ticking ruffled skirt on the base...

What is the round part of the pants made from?  It looks like the perfect size to conceal the inner working!

That is half of a 6" "paper mache" ornament blank. I use quotes, because it turns out that there is just one thin layer of paper cover a plastic sphere on these.  I use them for making my Fisher Price Little People diorama ornaments which you can search by the "Fisher_Price" tag here on craftster if you are so inclined.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015 11:21:40 AM »

I have your little dioramas bookmarked! Grin

I have plans for my "ornaments", inspired by them!  Thanks...what another creative use for them with this project!

LOVE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
thisbirdsabsurd
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015 11:25:53 AM »

The video cracked me up.  This here is a whole lotta fun.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015 11:31:35 AM »

HELLO?  YOU DIDN'T POST A PICTURE OF THE MECHANISM INSIDE!

This is great!  You gotta get a fish and attach it to two of the vertical rods.  Or a snake, and attach to all four rods.

I love automata, and made a few in the past, some inspired by http://www.cabaret.co.uk/ a UK museum dedicated to automata.  

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015 11:33:47 AM »

I have your little dioramas bookmarked! Grin

I have plans for my "ornaments", inspired by them!  Thanks...what another creative use for them with this project!

LOVE!

Awwww! Thanks!  I ordered 6 of those balls. They kept sending them in such a way that I wouldn't officially receive them so they kept sending more and then suddenly I had 3 of the 4 boxes they sent! AND I asked several times how to return them, but they never got back to me.  Probably cheaper to not pay return shipping and just cut their losses, but I wish they would've replied.  I keep getting ideas, so I am glad I have a bunch, though!

HELLO?  YOU DIDN'T POST A PICTURE OF THE MECHANISM INSIDE!

This is great!  You gotta get a fish and attach it to two of the vertical rods.  Or a snake, and attach to all four rods.

I love automata, and made a few in the past, some inspired by http://www.cabaret.co.uk/ a UK museum dedicated to automata. 

Great job!

Thanks! I had a camera catastrophe and am not sure that I have any of the very few in-progress shots I took!  I have to look further into it, but I will.

Now I have to look at that website!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015 11:57:24 AM »

That's the most fun ever!  And it's in Racky's craft room colors.  I know she loves it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...