A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
219 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miniature glass fishing float for mermaid display  (Read 8600 times)
Tags for this thread: sea , fishing , bottle , mermaid , glass_float  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EmmyS
« on: March 09, 2015 04:48:04 AM »

I'm in a mermaid club and we're thinking of holding a party to celebrate our first anniversary. I've been looking for inspiration for an underwater theme and one thing I see repeatedly is fishing floats - glass orbs surrounded by a knotted rope. Chambord (black raspberry liqueur) comes in spherical bottles, so I thought I'd try using a miniature one to craft a tiny float for this challenge. I can use it for a table centrepiece for the party, or I might even upgrade to a full size bottle!

(Here's what they're supposed to look like BTW! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Large_glass_floats-9-2.jpg)

Making of...

Sadly my bottle was full so I had to empty it first!

Then I washed it and removed the label. I did try to colour the bottle light green with diluted nail polish but it went gritty and so I cleaned it out.

I took 4 strands of rough twine, knotted them in the middle and began to tie them in alternating knots.

The big centre knot fitted well under the base of the bottle. The rest I built up around it, adjusting the distance between the knots so they best held the bottle. I pushed the remaining ends into the neck of the bottle and wrapped some more twine tightly around the neck to hold them in place.

Tada! My glass fishing float from a bottle. Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015 04:51:20 AM by EmmyS - Reason: Re-ordered photos. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015 04:53:45 AM »

Cute!  Great use of the mini bottle.  If you want to do the green paint, you could find a translucent green or dilute one and either pour it inside and pour it out, or dip the bottle in, to reduce the brush lines/sponge marks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
EmmyS
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015 05:58:37 AM »

Thanks Onyxnox! I didn't want to buy glass paint for such a small project and I didn't think normal paint would stick well enough which is why I tried nail varnish. Do you think acrylic paint would have worked?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015 06:27:23 AM »

So cute!  I like crafts where you have to eat or drink to get the container...Grin.

I think they are fine as they are...I coated glass Christmas ornaments on the inside using acrylic paint that I diluted with water and Elmer's glue...they still look great after 10 years!  I just poured it in, swished it around, and put the ornaments upside down into paper cups to drain and dry...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015 06:50:14 AM »

Agree - I was thinking one of the blending mediums, but plain old glue would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to spend the money for something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015 07:31:20 AM »

Neat-o and very authentic looking.  I could picture this bobbing merrily away on the waves.  And I think it's totally awesome that there's actually such a thing as a mermaid club!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015 11:05:41 AM »

I love this! And what a fun bottle shape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
EmmyS
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015 04:43:26 AM »

So PVA glue and green acrylic paint might do the trick you think? I'll have to experiment! Thanks for the tips!

Patraw - Our Mermaid Club is a fun fitness class where we put together Esther Williams style routines in the pool. It's sort of Synchro meets Retro. For example, we were working on some moves to Bobby Darin's song "Splish Splash" last night.

MareMare - The new Chambord bottles are a bit more streamlined and modern looking, but this is what the old ones used to look like. Glorious huh? Definitely channelling (or Chanel-ling) French decadence!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015 07:01:46 AM »

Super glorious! And I adore Chambord! One time a friend and I ordered martinis like James Bond and when they were too gross to choke down we had shots of Chambord added! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
EmmyS
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015 07:17:14 AM »

Ha! That sounds exactly like something I would do! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...