A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,844
Currently Running With Scissors:
274 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Medical Gauze  (Read 7314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
stillatthetop
« on: March 06, 2015 11:59:13 PM »

I have a full case of medical gauze {white}. I have no clue how many packages are in there, but let's just call it a S**T ton.

They are 6 ply, and measure 4 1/2 inch x 4 1/8 yards. Opened up, they are 25 1/2 inches wide, though they will stretch farther, but I assume that will change the length in the yardage to do that.

Some of it I can use in the kitchen like cheese cloth. It is not labeled food use, but it is not medicated, and it is sterile. I better get cooking  Cheesy

Seriously...any ideas for what to do with it? Anyone want to be a mummy next Halloween?

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
jazzminh
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015 01:25:04 AM »

Actually, use in cooking makes perfect sense: the gauze could line a strainer for when you need a very fine sieve. You could use it as a makeshift tea bag for herbal tea or to wrap herbs for soup which you can then remove.

For craft use, if you soak the gauze in plaster you could use it for sculpting. Or in fabric crafts - wrapping around a doll's legs to make them thicker and firmer, forming a ball before covering in fabric. I could see thinner rolls wrapped with coil, colorful string, embroidery thread, etc. and used as fabric beads. You could also use the gauze as a basis for sachets - wrap around dried lavender before placing in a fabric drawstring bag for hanging in closets. The lavender can then be discarded and replaced.

If nothing else appeals to you, maybe play doctor?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015 07:34:09 AM »

Wow jazzminh...you are full of ideas. And great ones, too. Thanks.

And playing doctor sounds fun, too. I have a real stethoscope {I am Dr. Ha Ha as a clown} and a blood pressure cuff. The kids would have fun in a makeshift medical ward. On a rainy day. With supervision  Grin of course.

I have used that "wet me" plaster wrap {the kind you get at the crafts store}. I never thought to make my own. I will have to research what style of plaster would work best. I have some leftover wall patching stuff. I will have to experiment. It is not like I would run out of this anytime soon.

The box they are in measures 20 x 20 x 10, just to give you fine folks an idea of how many {I'm not going to count them, and I gave some a way to a hog farming friend, and my other friend has two more cases riding around in his van. There is nothing on the box that says.  Roll Eyes}

And the sachet is a great idea, too. I can destash some fabrics and make up some Christmas package toppers {I hate bows..they are a waste} I usually make my sachet with the envelope pillow style, but the drawstrings bags sound the bomb.

I am not sure what you mean with the fabric bead idea. I am sure this "fabric" would dye well. I believe it is cotton. I will have to give it the "burn" test. {if it burns to all ash...cotton. If there are little beads in the ash, than it contains polyester. You just burn a small scrap in an ashtray, or something flameproof,,,a little quilters secret for when you quilt from unmarked stash}.

I am glad I started this thread. jazz has given me all types of ideas. My Mom loves tea. I don't think she uses the herbal kind, but I could make her some bags for Christmas, and she could try them. It would be fun to make the tags, and label the different kinds.

Thanks jazz. You have been a great help to get my muse flowing. Anybody else have ideas? If you got this far through my rambles  Grin

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015 09:26:42 AM »

They would make great stuffing for soft toys, or anything else that needs a soft stuffing.  They could also be used in place for paper for papermache-like projects like making a mask or something.  They would make great texture on mixed media convases or other art (clay, polymer clay, paper clay, etc)- whether it is gluing on/embedding in, or pressing on to make physical texture, or using it to apply ink/stain/paint, or removing it.  You could treat it like ribbon, and stain/ink it and use it to wrap around things like wreath forms for a base of a wreath, or to roll into fabric flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??

If anyone else knows or wants to keep in touch -

[email protected]
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015 05:15:31 PM »

Oooo. Paper mache', similar to the plaster idea jazz shared. And stuffing is a good one, too. And using it for paint applicators, or rags for clean-up. The texture would really help out there. And I love, love. love the ribbon idea. A great way to save money this Christmas. I don't know how to make fabric flowers, but I am sure YouTube, the God of all Knowing, could help me there  Grin

Thanks Onyxnox. You have been a big help, too.  Wink I need to write this stuff down, and get busy experimenting.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jazzminh
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015 11:34:51 PM »

If you do a Google search for fabric beads you'll see what I mean. I imagined you using about half a roll for something and then using the leftover half (still in a roll) to make a bead, or rolling your own. I fell in love with fabric beads last year and made a ton. I'm sure the gauze would work great. Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015 10:00:50 AM »

Don't cut it - the stuff is so loosely woven it may just become a nasty pile of lint.  But if you take one   long edge and dip it in dye (maybe just the edge and let the ink draw up to give you a more ombre effect), then dry it, then loosely roll it from the short end, and tie the one rolled long edge, and fluff the other edge out.  To give you that loose rolled flower look - like a rununculus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??

If anyone else knows or wants to keep in touch -

[email protected]
stillatthetop
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015 04:08:15 AM »

Grin I had to Google rununculus to see what the heck the flower looks like  Roll Eyes
I'll have to experiment on the cutting part. I think you are right, though, Onyxnox..it is a very loose weave unrolled and flattened out. Perhaps Mod Podge after dying might tighten it up. From my experience with using that product, it remains flexible when dry. That could be good for the smaller projects.

And jazzminh, I think I have seen some of those fabric beads on here, too. But good luck for me finding them here  Cheesy This search feature has me baffled. I will Google when it comes time to make some. I plan for a few more swap partners later this year. Perhaps one of their wishes might be that. I don't generally wear jewelry. I am in the midst of a craft rooms overhaul, so I am taking a swap break for a short time.

I am also thinking Christmas Ornament of some sort...more package toppers on gifts. Maybe stretched over a wire form, and gilded. I am really liking the texture of this product. And it says on the package 100% cotton{..duh..read it, dummy  Smiley My swaps are almost finished up. Then I will play a bit. I'll let you all know my successes and failures. for anyone else interested in playing with bandages  Roll Eyes.

Thanks for your help and ideas that spark inspirations  Kiss

~T
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015 04:10:38 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015 02:05:16 AM »

My first thought was Party Streamers!

Next was ribbon flowers.  There's a great book by Candace Kling, "The Artful Ribbon"  http://www.amazon.com/The-Artful-Ribbon-Flowers/dp/1571200207  that shows how to reproduce tons of vintage ribbon flowers.  Maybe your library has it? 

Comments on other people's ideas:

you could try washing it, to see if it shrinks and tightens up.  I would unroll and whack off a hunk, tie both ends to prevent raveling, then put it in a mesh lingerie bag to wash.

You could also dye some by dipping one side of the roll in dye/ink/tea/etc.  Could even dip the other side in the same or different color after the first is dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's go out swinging!
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
stillatthetop
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015 01:45:44 AM »

Thanks, steiconi. I Googled the ribbon flower idea and found a tutorial for some out of burlap or fabric.

Here: http://www.craftionary.net/making-flowers-with-fabric-burlap-tutorial

The burlap one looks like it might work for this.

I also like your idea about trying to shrink it. I don't think I would need to wash it, though {100% sterile}...maybe just a good dunk in a pot of boiling water. Then it would not be agitated too much. And I could do them in whole wrapped bundles.

I cut some today into a long strip for a swap project that I am working on. I need a thin mummy style ribbon wrap. I was careful not to stretch it, and I wrapped it immediately around some cardboard so I can control it better while I wrap it onto the item. It is double folded on the edge where I cut.

fray check product comes to mind for the frizzies, but it would take a gallon of that stuff just for this small project.  Cheesy I may experiment with my Mod Podge idea for this. Or just leave the strings. It will look more mummy-like.

Another idea I had was to zap it with some industrial hair spray. I use All Set Extra for some of my crafts. Like the kind they used on their bee hive hairdos in the 60's  Tongue

As soon as I get the item ready to wrap, I will update this post for what seemed to work {or not work}.

Thanks for your input. That is sent to ALL of you.

Oh, and the party streamers idea? Well, I keep a year-round Christmas tree now. And I added some gauze to it for the Halloween part when I also added my St. Patrick's Day stuff. It looks pretty good. I am thinking of dyeing it orange ombre.

I also wondered if I could make a valance/curtain for my office here, by just looping over strips and letting them dangle at the sides. There is just a mini-blind there now, and it does look a bit unfinished.

Thoughts just keep swirling every time I trip over this giant box. Eventually I will make it all go away.  Wink

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...