A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
292 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I do with kitty litter jugs and plastic coffee cans?  (Read 3777 times)
Tags for this thread: kitty_litter , help  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
daisybun
Cross Stitch Empress and Servant of Recycling

Hell on wheels with a glue stick!

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2015 11:05:33 AM »

I hate to throw this much plastic into the landfill!  What can I do with these large plastic containers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As long as you're going to be thinking anyway, think BIG!" - Donald Trump
jazzminh
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015 08:09:06 AM »

I actually look for those kinds of large plastic containers all the time - to store materials I use like corks, electronic components and all sorts of odds and ends for crafts. When I've had a surplus, kindergarten teachers were happy to have them for storage.
Gardeners would probably like the containers for use as planters, to store compost or leftover gravel and such.
They also serve as a good base for paper mache - cut off the top and use the bottom as your base for a paper mache basket.
Use to store dry foods like beans, rice, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisybun
Cross Stitch Empress and Servant of Recycling

Hell on wheels with a glue stick!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015 03:21:38 PM »

I appreciate your quick reply.  Many thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As long as you're going to be thinking anyway, think BIG!" - Donald Trump
LillyinCinci
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015 09:27:09 AM »

Hi Daisybun, I use my 30lb litter buckets for all kinds of great storage.  You need to wash the inside out first and use a cup of bleach and a tablespoon of dawn dish liquid, scrub the inside and lids, then rinse is fresh water and allow it to air dry outside for a day or so to get the scented litter smell to fade away. Now, that it nice and dry with only a slight detectable odor, use a couple unscented garbage bags, stuff them opened up into the bucket, pour in dog food, cat food, laundry detergent, garden soil, anything bulk you would like to store, attach the flip back lid to the top over the garbage bag and voila! the lid works really well to seal the bucket. I have also cleaned the buckets and painted them and made them small recycling bins in my kitchen. Given the extra painted ones to our neighbors with welcoming products inside when they have just moved in, you don't know how handy a bucket with a lid and a couple garbage bags inside can be when you just move in to a new place. I hope these ideas save a few kitty litter buckets from the landfill, thanks ladies for making a great contribution to saving our planet.
- Lilly Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
extrasharp
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015 11:24:09 AM »

Great idea for the larger containers.  Still looking for more crafty for Christmas with the coffee containers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherie

Be kind.... always

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015 10:10:41 AM »

My hubby brings large coffee tins home now and then and I had quite a collection sitting in my stash. Last week I used them in a craft session.  I took along a whole load of wallpaper samples, bits of lace and all kinds of bling.  Everyone gave a coffee tin a basecoat of emulsion and then when they were dry they decorated them with all the things that I took along.  They had a lovely afternoon and it cleared a large space in my workshop. (it will soon fill backp).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mountianlady
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017 04:31:11 AM »

Those are great ideas and you can paint them make them over and use them as a plant holder in the spring for plants or if you have a few that are different sizes you can make a set of canisters out of them,i get alot of ideas from Pinterest"then i just add on my own. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017 01:50:53 AM »

I use the coffee cans for compost in the kitchen.  All vegetable waste goes into the can.  I use about one bucket worth of coffee a month, at which time I swap in the "new" compost can, wash the old one and poke holes in it for a planter.

If I really had it together, I might save them up for gift cookies over the holidays.  But they're pretty big, that would take a lot of cookies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's go out swinging!
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018 05:56:54 AM »

Hi Daisybun, I use my 30lb litter buckets for all kinds of great storage.  You need to wash the inside out first and use a cup of bleach and a tablespoon of dawn dish liquid, scrub the inside and lids, then rinse is fresh water and allow it to air dry outside for a day or so to get the scented litter smell to fade away. Now, that it nice and dry with only a slight detectable odor, use a couple unscented garbage bags, stuff them opened up into the bucket, pour in dog food, cat food, laundry detergent, garden soil, anything bulk you would like to store, attach the flip back lid to the top over the garbage bag and voila! the lid works really well to seal the bucket. I have also cleaned the buckets and painted them and made them small recycling bins in my kitchen. Given the extra painted ones to our neighbors with welcoming products inside when they have just moved in, you don't know how handy a bucket with a lid and a couple garbage bags inside can be when you just move in to a new place. I hope these ideas save a few kitty litter buckets from the landfill, thanks ladies for making a great contribution to saving our planet.
- Lilly Smiley

I am loving these bucket ideas.  DD2 has cats and has been pondering ways to reuse those handled and lidded buckets.  After a good scrubbing, they would be great for anything.  I envision knitting needles and yarn storage, picnic basket, tote for car trunk, collected cans of spray paint and wood stain in the garage.  Now I want to make a bucket apron. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
digreen
Green Digitalist

Change is the only Constant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019 10:03:41 AM »

I'm having this situation because my elderly cat has failing kidneys, so he has three litter boxes, just for himself!

In terms of the original post, the litter 'jugs' may have NOT been the bucket types, but like plastic milk jugs, so similar upcycling for those: cut off top into scoops (using handle as handle, but upside down & diagonal), bottoms for bowls/open containers, or punch holes around rim and crocet or knit a top as an extension into a larger basket, or a into a drawstring closure type of container. Will go research some other ideas.

Oh, & for milk jugs (which are a but smaller, and more circular) my family uses them as gray water catchers for the kitchen, garden and laundry for various things that don't need fresh water, as mixing bowls for small concrete and tiling projects, to catch fresh cold water in the shower as it warms up (it's about a gallon usually), bowls for vinegar water for medium size and larger clean projects, I've cut down the larger cat litter ones as a mop bucket, the milk jug gallon bottoms cut off, but with handle attached as a carry-all from room to room when tidying up and moving small things from one place to another.

The plastic itself, if cut into rectangles, should be useful for something. I will post back here any ideas I find particularly useful or innovative
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Newish to craftster; I enjoy yarn, paper, pixels, altar & altered art and ATCs, collagey/junk & bullet journals,  jewelry, natural toiletries, design, and upcycling; fave themes include Goddesses, gals, gardens, fashion, fun, thrift and thankfulness, Ukraine & politics; color purple, lavender, blues
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...