A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
280 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Merry Christmas Mom!  (Read 5282 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , patchwork , quilting , christmas_gift  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jexxican
« on: February 07, 2015 08:54:20 AM »

My mom gave me a small box that was her grandmothers. Last fall I finally went through it. Most of it was embroidery patterns from the Work Basket. There were 2 sets of 7 that I'm assuming were made for dishtowels. 1 of those sets was kitties and the other Sunbonnet Sue's. I decided to do the Sue's for mom's cousin, Suzie, and the kitties for Mom. I originally planned on making dishtowels but they are so expensive so instead I scanned them into my computer, traced them on my tablet, and printed them off onto some 8 1/2 inch squares of fabric (ironed onto freezer paper of course) to be use for quilt blocks. This one is mom's. Suzie's hasn't been started yet, other than printing off the pattern.

This is the first time I've ever designed a quilt. Not the blocks, but choosing blocks and laying them out. It was so much fun! That being said, I'm really proud of it so there will be lots of pictures, starting with pretty ones on the wood shed:

I used 4 different free block patterns I found from around the interwebs. This mod pillow was inspiration for one block, this patchwork wheel inspiration for another, I mostly followed the directions for this Refracted block, and totally followed this Xs and Os tute for the last. My graph paper lay out:

I hand quilted it all.

The border around the middle was just chevrons and pinwheels. I like the secondary pattern they created so for the back I made it again using 8 1/2 inch HSTs. Love it!

Kitties:

And the signature block, my personal favorite block:

Finished size: 45x60
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015 10:11:31 AM »

That is a very lovely quilt. I like how you used the embroidery in there. And yes, those are normally dishtowel patterns. But they look great the way you used them, too. I like your overlap of hands in your last photo. Very interesting idea for a signature block.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Homerof2
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015 12:13:56 PM »

Love the hand print block!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnicodemus
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015 06:31:50 PM »

Love the Hand Block!  Great idea for Mother's Day or presents for Grandparents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015 07:25:53 PM »

Thanks, friends! I love the hand print block too. I was going to have everyone sign their name on my tablet and print it off but Jo can't write her name yet so I didn't think it was time for that kind of signature block yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015 07:37:42 AM »

Impressive!  And what a lovely way to make a family heirloom.  That will be a keeper for generations yet to come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015 12:33:11 PM »

I love the hand print block & the kitties! Great colors too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
jexxican
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015 11:23:32 AM »

Thanks you two! I hope it will be an heirloom, I am sending to my mom's house where my sister and her kids live, and they aren't know to be the most respectful of other people's stuff. Let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

ZidishaLuxe
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015 08:30:22 AM »

The design is great! So interesting, I keep staring at different parts. The color choices work so perfectly as well. And the hand quilting is lovely! I just love everything about this quilt haha. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015 08:13:07 AM »

It is quite striking!  So many lovely patterns...and I love that you shared your design process...what a lot of love and work you put into this...

The addition of embroidery really makes the quilt special...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...