A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Goal Book 2015  (Read 9681 times)
Tags for this thread: journal , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Smeddley
« on: January 22, 2015 06:02:51 PM »

My Goal Book is finally done!  And it's still January!  But there was a reason this particular one took me so long...

Here it is, it's just about as thick as Goal Book 2014 despite being a book of 20-15 (twenty goals of 15 items each, I was playing on the "hindsight is 20/20" idiom, though with better-than-average eyesight...).  This is because it's a book of looking back as much as forward, and I re-made ALL of the goal pages I didn't completely accomplish in 2012, 2013, and 2014!  I also used the same "plastic" paint because it really held up well, despite being schleped all over the place and tossed willy-nilly in my bag every day.

If you want to hear the story of this weird book, grab a beverage and sit back, it'll be a bit of a read.  Otherwise, scroll down for the pictures of the new pages and you can chuckle over my not-so-artistic renderings...  Wink

(left to right: original 2012 book, 2013 (the sequel), 2014 (the insanity))

Back in 2012 I had the brilliant (mad) idea to start a book of 50 goals of 50 items each, aiming to get 50% done.  It was my "Year of 50/50/50".  To this end, I grabbed a spare notebook and labeled the pages and numbered the bits and started using it.  It went well, so I did the next year much the same way.  Another notebook, filled and numbered... but I noticed a problem.  When I went over the allotted pages, I had to either "continue" the section in the back of the book (which I did in 2012) or tape in pages (like I did in 2013):

I didn't love this, so I decided, on top of the mad idea that 2014 would have 100 goals... oh yes, 100! (don't worry, many were very silly), I was going to *make* all the pages and ring-bind them.  Okay, so I cheated on a few and used notebook paper, but can you blame me?  Below are some of the finished pages, because... I liked them, and I can show you some of the "silly" goals (oddly, the silly goals made the prettiest pages, while the more serious goals, like charity and giving and whatnot, were just boring lists):

Yes, many of you may recognize these pages as blatant copies or variations of Wreck This Journal pages, which is an awesome and fun book and did help me a ton because... 100 goals of 100 things is really, really hard to think up!  And even at 50% (which, yes, I managed!) the amount of time if they were all real, serious goals would be ridiculous. 

So, enter 2015.  Three of my 20 goals are to *finish* 15 goals from each 2012, 2013, and 2014.  That could mean doing the last 3 doodles I missed in 2012 or writing the 95 reviews I didn't get to in 2014.  Obviously, those goals could be huge (there aren't many "just a few items left" goals, except donating blood - I'm one donation short in 2012, one in 2013, and two in 2014 (stupid colds), so it's not a goal this year, I'm just making up previous years - I should only aim for 5 in the future, not 6!).  So the rest of them are goals I'm pretty sure I can easily accomplish.  I watched 120 movies and made 220 craft projects last year, so I think my movie and craft goals are in the bag... Wink

For goals from previous years I made pages showing what had been done before (starting the numbering at the right place, etc) and for 2014 that was easy, since I could just copy some of the pages (but then I colored them because that would have been too easy!):

For 2012 and 2013 I had to make up new pages (I did try to use as much "reclaimed" paper as possible, most of these pages are on the backs of scrapbook papers I didn't love, these two are old tossed-out office supplies and magazines).  I'm particularly proud of the "books read" library card one!

Now, the new pages (sorry this is so long!):

Big craft projects (there's a little guy holding the needles) and movies (MST3K forever!)

Folded cranes and art projects, though I have a TON of art slots left from previous years!

Letters and New Places... I'm pretty proud of my New Places page!

That was supposed to be "hundred cookies - as in 1,500 - but my hand overrode my brain and put "dozen", though I easily managed the 1,200 cookies from last year, and, indeed, on January 2nd made 120 cookies for a wedding, so off to a crackin' start!  Oh, and audiobooks.  And I've already listed to three. 

Sorry for the blurry pic, but Stamps and Fruit and Veg sticker collection.  I really liked doing that, so...

These pages will get prettier as I color them in - swap packages are self-explanatory, and the mandala about a coloring book I got from a co-worker.  They're very intricate designs, and as I color them I will color my 15-piece mandala on the page.

Two of the boring list-variety pages, just to give you an idea what they look like.  They're all hand-lined and numbered, no computer generation, but the rest are equally boring.

Phew!  Sorry that was so long.  And after all that, my friend saw my book and asked me to make her one - thankfully, she went for 12 goals of 12 each, which made her pages a lot more fun, actually.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
emilywilde
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015 07:50:12 PM »

Wow, Smeddley, thank you for sharing this, this is really inspiring! I especially like the library card for books read page, and MST3K for movies. And all your pages are beautiful! ...thinking of doing something similar...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smeddley
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015 07:56:50 PM »

Wow, Smeddley, thank you for sharing this, this is really inspiring! I especially like the library card for books read page, and MST3K for movies. And all your pages are beautiful! ...thinking of doing something similar...

Dooooooo it!  Cheesy

Two of my friends are doing it, both starting smaller with 12/12 (one I'm making the book for, the other is starting with a journal like my originals).  I just find it so... satisfying, and fun!  Even the friend who doesn't like to make commitments to things says she's already found it fun and rewarding!  It's a lot like joining a craftalong, only with any aspect of your life you want.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015 08:24:13 PM »

I love all your pages  Grin

And I have a fruit and vegetable page on the side of my fridge where I save stickers, pretty soon mine will fall off from sheer weight and lack of heavy duty magnets. Not sure what I will do with it then, but a journal page is a good idea.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
photojenn
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015 08:25:44 PM »

I love this!  So many great ideas!  I might have to steal a few Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emilywilde
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015 08:49:54 PM »

Dooooooo it!  Cheesy

Two of my friends are doing it, both starting smaller with 12/12 (one I'm making the book for, the other is starting with a journal like my originals).  I just find it so... satisfying, and fun!  Even the friend who doesn't like to make commitments to things says she's already found it fun and rewarding!  It's a lot like joining a craftalong, only with any aspect of your life you want.  Cheesy

Haha, awesome! I will do it, I think a 15/15, for 2015.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Averia
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015 03:48:37 AM »

Amazing book! I need one! Unfortunately, I think it would take me so long to make that i ought to start on 2016's right now so I might be close to done by the time next January comes around. I have a teenager with the wreck this journal who absolutely loves that book - Home made version would always be better though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015 05:58:01 AM »

Oh, I do hope you guys do it, it is ever so much fun! And it didn't have to be anything fancy, though I know as crafters that kinda runs in our blood, it's be hard *not* to make it awesome... Wink

I did do some homemade Wreck This Journal books once, making them was almost as fun as wrecking one! I need to find my list... I remember I changed it to be more art-oriented, with less smearing of foodstuff and dirt. Smiley

Averia, I am starting my 2016 one sooner! I've already started making my list, and I'll hopefully start working on the pages before too long.  You should totally start yours now, and, like I said, if you want to do it this year, just a notebook will suffice. You can always doodle and make it awesome throughout the year! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015 06:18:17 AM »

That book is amazing!!!  What a great idea! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015 06:55:58 AM »

Stupendous and impressive!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...