A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
159 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wheatpaste and fabric removeable wallpaper  (Read 7289 times)
Tags for this thread: wallpaper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
schnerby
« on: January 10, 2015 11:46:37 PM »

I decided to add some interest to my boring hallway, but wasn't sure how. I don't think I'm finished, but I have trialled and succeeded with removable wallpaper from fabric.

The fabric is 100% cotton from Japan. It's a medium thickness, but I think any reasonably thin fabric would work well. Thicker fabric might be a problem. It would be easier if the fabric fitted in one piece (for example, if I cut along the length of the fabric) but I needed to go across the fabric so the fish were swimming across. I just used two pieces for the longer stretch of wall above the fridge and matched the fish when I cut it so the join wasn't obvious. This might be more of an issue with a geometric print.

Firstly I made paste from 1L of boiling water and just under 1/4 cup of cornflour (made into a slurry with water and then whisked in). I cooked it until it thickened and would come away from the bottom of the pan when I tilted the pan and drew the whisk or a brush through it. Wait for it to cool and put it in some kind of practical container. I put the pan in the sink with cold water around it and it was cool by the time I had cut the fabric.

I cut the fabric to size and ironed it.

I put a fair slather of paste on the wall with a 50mm brush before putting up the fabric. It can be repositioned, removed, trimmed and whatever else you need while the paste is drying. i went along the top sides of the fabric again after putting it up just to make sure they were really stuck and well pasted up.

The hallway
BEFORE

AFTER

The kitchen
BEFORE

AFTER

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015 02:26:40 AM by schnerby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015 12:13:55 AM »

What a clever idea. I also love the fish fabric you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015 02:23:18 AM »

That is so cute - also loving the fish fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
toastalope
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015 11:03:43 AM »

Oooooh why does fish fabric make me SO happy?  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015 02:26:42 PM »

I had a lovely green fabric with an organic pattern on it (which wouldn't have required panels as the pattern worked along its length) but I couldn't get past the fish. Since it's removable, I can just peel it off and replace it with something else when the mood strikes. The fabric can also be washed to remove the stiff paste and it's still fine to sew with. Win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015 06:01:34 AM »

Super cool!  I think the great fish pattern works especially well with how the pattern flows from the kitchen to the end of the hall.

You can also use liquid starch to use as paste for the same, removable result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 84
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015 08:03:53 PM »

I love this so much!! What a clever. I think it's just the right amount of interest for the walls - it's so fun and different. I'm going to have to think about little walls in our house where I can try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015 10:51:12 PM »

I'd like to try this but am worried about attracting cockroaches or ants. Did you mix any kind of insect repellent into your paste?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SillySlippers
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015 10:49:54 PM »

Cool fishys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015 06:53:26 PM »

I'd like to try this but am worried about attracting cockroaches or ants. Did you mix any kind of insect repellent into your paste?

No I didn't add any insect anything. It dries completely and is very solid. When you think about the small amount of flour actually present in that much paste I doubt it would be of interest to ants. We don't get cockroaches so I wouldn't know about them.

It's really the same paste used for kids crafts and none of the things we made as children ever got insects interested, even in humidity. I can't say it would be 100% fine for everyone - when I lived in a humid tropical environment even tea towels would get mouldy - but none of this paste has ever gone bad for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...